Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Wouldn't it be BETTER.........
OWLmanz Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: OWLS & TEXANS
Exclamation Wouldn't it be BETTER.........
01-wingedeagle to be the North Dakota State of Div II than the RICE of Div I?? 03-lmfao

Great win today vs. a good Div II program; we should step down to Div II and start a GREAT TRADITION of winning football in our appropriate level of play. We will be there soon enough when the P5 go PRO! 03-shhhh

04-cheers We could win 8 in Div II every year and be very proud of our accomplishments!! There's a lot less SHAME in winning at the appropriate level than LOSING at the WRONG level...... 04-bow05-stirthepot05-mafia
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2016 10:13 PM by OWLmanz.)
10-22-2016 10:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

loki_the_bubba Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: Wouldn't it be BETTER.........
*FCS
10-22-2016 10:51 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
That assumes facts not in evidence... that we would continue to get these same recruits or spend this same money on coaching if we were fcs. I think those are huge assumptions.
10-22-2016 11:21 PM
wiessguy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Da Owls
Agreed. No way we would get the same talent
10-23-2016 12:57 AM
Advertisement

Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(10-23-2016 12:57 AM)wiessguy Wrote:  Agreed. No way we would get the same talent

A lot of NDSU's players are ones who wanted to play at Minnesota or other B10 schools but weren't recruited and preferred to go to NDSU where the fans are rabid and they have a couple of chances each year to play FBS schools. They know they will still get looks from the NFL and have a chance at the FCS title.
10-23-2016 06:53 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-23-2016 06:53 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  
(10-23-2016 12:57 AM)wiessguy Wrote:  Agreed. No way we would get the same talent
A lot of NDSU's players are ones who wanted to play at Minnesota or other B10 schools but weren't recruited and preferred to go to NDSU where the fans are rabid and they have a couple of chances each year to play FBS schools. They know they will still get looks from the NFL and have a chance at the FCS title.

See, that's analogous to what I think we could become if we are stuck in CUSA and if we find a coach who can make it happen. We play 2-3 P5's a year and we have a chance to win our conference and/or go bowling every year, But that takes a whole different philosophical approach from this staff. And that rabid fan base is going to take time and work to develop.
10-23-2016 07:02 AM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(10-23-2016 07:02 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(10-23-2016 06:53 AM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  

See, that's analogous to what I think we could become if we are stuck in CUSA and if we find a coach who can make it happen. We play 2-3 P5's a year and we have a chance to win our conference and/or go bowling every year, But that takes a whole different philosophical approach from this staff. And that rabid fan base is going to take time and work to develop.

The enrollment at NDSU is over 14,000 students, 12,000 of which are undergraduates

The major competition for entertainment dollars is the annual Cow Chip Throwing Competition across the border in Sioux Falls. The National Cow Tipping Championship held at the Walker County Fairgrounds was cancelled 2 years ago after successful lobbying from the SPCA. In the spring time, attendance at the Friday Night Main Street, Street Light Timing averages 3,800*. (warning - gross exaggeration alert, *and bald faced lie)

Rabid fan base hould be easy to duplicate
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2016 08:43 AM by Rick Gerlach.)
10-23-2016 07:51 AM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

but if they weren't recruited by the FBS schools, doesn't that almost by definition mean that they aren't the same talent level? At least as measured by the other FBS schools? EVERY FCS school tries to find those great guys that the FBS teams just missed.

I've often suggested that we should try and poach say Kansas or Duke recruits by promising them 10 wins, championships and a bowl every year as opposed to 3-6 wins and a bowl every few years, even though in a lower level... and/or that rushing or catching passes for 800 yards at KU even though it's against B1G schools isn't as noteworthy as rushing or catching passes for 1,500 yards against CUSA, which actually IMPROVES your looks by the pros. The problem is we aren't living up to that promise.

Look, we aren't that unique in FBS. All sorts of schools are in the top 50 academically. In CUSA and g5, we're quite unique. Within FCS which is really a regional game (not sure as many Texas football players go to NDSU as B1G schools) we would be exceptionally unique in the region, which COULD be an asset...

but we aren't taking advantage of that in g5, so why would we think we would in FCS?
10-23-2016 11:28 AM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(10-22-2016 11:21 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  That assumes facts not in evidence... that we would continue to get these same recruits or spend this same money on coaching if we were fcs. I think those are huge assumptions.

Spot on
10-23-2016 11:36 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(10-23-2016 11:28 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  I've often suggested that we should try and poach say Kansas or Duke recruits by promising them 10 wins, championships and a bowl every year as opposed to 3-6 wins and a bowl every few years, even though in a lower level... and/or that rushing or catching passes for 800 yards at KU even though it's against B1G schools isn't as noteworthy as rushing or catching passes for 1,500 yards against CUSA, which actually IMPROVES your looks by the pros. The problem is we aren't living up to that promise.

Exactly. Suppose we play LSU, aTm, UH, and one peer-type school (Duke, Northwestern, Vandy, Stanford, service academies, I'd still like to play some Ivies although it would probably have to be away because of their travel restrictions). That's much exposure to the bright lights as a prospect is going to get at a lesser P5. And that makes us more money to hire better staff.

Then we come home to CUSA where we can win enough to go to a bowl every year. That's better than a lesser P5 can offer.

That's the potential. Trouble is, as you say, we aren't living up to their potential.
10-23-2016 05:26 PM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

The problem is Olw, that so many buy into the 'just win' mantra... and ignore that this comment was made in a single league... the top league. 'just win' is not enough if you're not scheduling people that others want to watch. If you're not doing that, then you need to follow my other suggestion and get some different eyes to watch....

because the teams that people want to watch aren't generally playing in CUSA.
10-24-2016 11:26 AM
75src Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice
If we knock our football below D1, then our baseball would also have to leave D1 so then we lose the chance of ever having a CWS team. We need to stay in D1 even if we later drop to FCS.
10-24-2016 11:50 AM
Frizzy Owl Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
(10-24-2016 11:50 AM)75src Wrote:  If we knock our football below D1, then our baseball would also have to leave D1 so then we lose the chance of ever having a CWS team. We need to stay in D1 even if we later drop to FCS.

Why would baseball need to leave D1 (not that I want football to leave D1)?

Also, while I'm logged in, FCS no longer makes any sense as things are today. That's why so many FCS schools are moving up to FBS.
10-24-2016 12:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.