Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

One Big East AD says Wichita State would be logical if conference talks expansion
Bookmark and Share
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
One Big East AD says Wichita State would be logical if conference talks expansion
Quote:Big East Conference membership is not off-limits to public universities, one of the league’s athletic directors said Friday, and Wichita State would be a good fit should the Big East decide to expand.

Creighton athletic director Bruce Rasmussen, known to Wichita State from the Bluejays’ days in the Missouri Valley Conference, said he’s pushing for Big East expansion from 10 to 12 teams and that WSU and Gonzaga would be good fits.

Rasmussen was careful to say that his opinion in these matters might not carry much weight, but that the Big East presidents and athletic directors have agreed to discuss the possibility of expansion at the conference’s annual meetings in May.
Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wic...rylink=cpy
03-26-2016 12:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
RE: One Big East AD says Wichita State would be logical if conference talks expansion
(03-26-2016 12:11 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  
Quote:Big East Conference membership is not off-limits to public universities, one of the league’s athletic directors said Friday, and Wichita State would be a good fit should the Big East decide to expand.

Creighton athletic director Bruce Rasmussen, known to Wichita State from the Bluejays’ days in the Missouri Valley Conference, said he’s pushing for Big East expansion from 10 to 12 teams and that WSU and Gonzaga would be good fits.

Rasmussen was careful to say that his opinion in these matters might not carry much weight, but that the Big East presidents and athletic directors have agreed to discuss the possibility of expansion at the conference’s annual meetings in May.

I think it'll be discussed, but not for long.
03-26-2016 03:54 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
RE: One Big East AD says Wichita State would be logical if conference talks expansion
I think it would have been really interesting had VCU beaten Oklahoma and made it to the elite 8. Geographically VCU would make a lot of sense.....
03-26-2016 04:51 PM
Advertisement

Realignment Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USC Trojans
Davidson, Saint Louis, VCU & Wichita State would be my choices for Big East expansion, 14 teams seems to be a perfect fit and you would have 10 Catholic Universities, 2 Private Universities & 2 Public Universities which Basketball is their biggest sport. If they wanted to keep the Private/Catholic thing going then go with Boston, Davidson, Richmond & Saint Louis. 4 Private & 10 Catholic.
05-13-2016 10:17 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
I think a 14-team conference is much more beneficial for football rather than basketball. A 10-team basketball league is perfect for scheduling purposes because, as both the Big East and Big 12 do, you can have a round-robin schedule that allows to build and strengthen rivalries, as well as guarantee schools a home/home with every other school. Going to 14 in basketball guarantees that schools don't get two games against Villanova, or get to travel to New York and play St. Johns, etc.

We will keep the conference the way it is for the foreseeable future. It will allow Butler, Creighton and Xavier to become fully acclimated with the Big East schools (not to mentioned develop already strong rivalries), as well each school to travel to each university/city each year. The round-robin is one of our biggest assets - no need to get rid of it just for the sake of expanding.
05-15-2016 06:35 PM
Advertisement

PA-GAMECOCK Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Gamecocks
(03-26-2016 12:11 AM)Transic_nyc Wrote:  

The Big East won't take Wichita State because they are interested in reviving Division 1 Football. The BE wants nothing to do with D1 Football again. Nice try though. 07-coffee3
06-04-2016 02:12 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
The New Big East is as much about promoting religious ideology as it as about hoops. Wichita State doesn't fit in with them. That's not a slight... Neither would most power programs from the Original Big East.
08-10-2016 07:16 AM
Advertisement

orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(08-10-2016 07:16 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  The New Big East is as much about promoting religious ideology as it as about hoops. Wichita State doesn't fit in with them. That's not a slight... Neither would most power programs from the Original Big East.
I think the Big East would take UConn in a heartbeat, which could become available if the AAC gets watered down by B12 expansion and UConn is left out. Otherwise, there is no school available that adds enough value to the Big East to justify expansion.
08-10-2016 02:20 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(08-10-2016 07:16 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  The New Big East is as much about promoting religious ideology as it as about hoops. Wichita State doesn't fit in with them. That's not a slight... Neither would most power programs from the Original Big East.

The Big East does not promote or market itself as a religious conference. While we are a conference comprised of a majority of Catholic universities (9 of 10), we do not have any promotional materials or advertisements on religious ideology on the official Big East materials. Obviously, our individual university websites and promotional materials may do, but our conference's does not.

Having said that, I absolutely agree that Wichita State is not a legitimate candidate for the Big East. They are not an institution-fit, and while exceptions can be made for schools like UConn, Wichita is not a location/program that is a "must-have" for the conference and its member schools.
08-14-2016 03:16 PM
Advertisement

SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I Root For: Wichita
I think Creighton simply misses us. Wichita is not a fit for the Big East and the Big East is not a fit for Wichita.

Things would have to get crazy for either or both to think differently.
08-15-2016 01:14 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
(08-15-2016 01:14 PM)SubGod22 Wrote:  I think Creighton simply misses us. Wichita is not a fit for the Big East and the Big East is not a fit for Wichita.

Wow that's delusional...
08-15-2016 03:28 PM
SubGod22 Offline
Average Joe

I Root For: Wichita
(08-15-2016 03:28 PM)Jet915 Wrote:  
(08-15-2016 01:14 PM)SubGod22 Wrote:  I think Creighton simply misses us. Wichita is not a fit for the Big East and the Big East is not a fit for Wichita.

Wow that's delusional...

It was your AD that brought us up
08-15-2016 04:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.