Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CAA Tourney moving to Charleston in 2017
Bookmark and Share
WMtribe17 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
RE: CAA Tourney moving to Charleston in 2017
Imagine the empty seats for the Final if it doesn't involve Charleston or UNCW.... Might need to put a tarp over 80% of the arena to make the attendance look decent...
07-11-2017 10:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sitting bull Offline
All American

LOL, we can borrow from the A10. Or just play in a totally empty gym, like CUSA or Sunbelt.

The CAA was fortunate the firs year in Charleston the Championship featured the host and next closest school. This year, Charleston will be the odds on favorite and Elon will be a major contender.

It was risky but so far, so good on the move. It is actually a nice location and nice arena so I have no issue with it.

Would like to see an eventual return though to Baltimore. That was as central to the league as you can get.
07-12-2017 05:12 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
(07-11-2017 05:27 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  I see this as minor. The play-in games now Saturday and all day quarters on Sunday.

Both the semis and finals on national TV Monday and Tuesday.

Unless Charleston of UNCW are in, the numbers are going to be slighter anyway. And the previous set-up required at least one day off anyway.
I would certainly not classify CBS Sports as "national TV".

I just don't get it. There's no upside to this deal. The tournament is less accessible both in person and on television. Honestly, unless CBSSN is sitting on stacks of cash no one was aware of, I would have rather they broadcast the final on CAA.TV and use whatever ad revenue we get. At least then we can choose the schedule.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 08:14 AM by zablenoise.)
07-12-2017 07:43 AM
NC Tribe Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M, JMU
(07-12-2017 07:43 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(07-11-2017 05:27 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  I see this as minor. The play-in games now Saturday and all day quarters on Sunday.

Unless Charleston of UNCW are in, the numbers are going to be slighter anyway. And the previous set-up required at least one day off anyway.

I just don't get it. There's no upside to this deal. The tournament is less accessible both in person and on television. Honestly, unless CBSSN is sitting on stacks of cash no one was aware of, I would have rather they broadcast the final on CAA.TV and use whatever ad revenue we get. At least then we can choose the schedule.

I will still go to the tournament. I preferred quarterfinal Saturday, but i will just shift my trip a day.

N. Charleston was fine for me. Stayed at the Tribe hotel and could walk to the coliseum.

I guess Semis will be 6:00 and 8:30 pm on Monday, so locals can work Monday and Tuesday if they want and still go to the games. I can work from my hotel room, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Attending a college hoops tournament each spring is my big sporting event/splurge of the year. I am not going to quibble about all the details, just happy when I can go.
07-12-2017 08:25 AM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(07-12-2017 08:25 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  

I will still go to the tournament. I preferred quarterfinal Saturday, but i will just shift my trip a day.

N. Charleston was fine for me. Stayed at the Tribe hotel and could walk to the coliseum.

I guess Semis will be 6:00 and 8:30 pm on Monday, so locals can work Monday and Tuesday if they want and still go to the games. I can work from my hotel room, so it doesn't really matter to me.

Attending a college hoops tournament each spring is my big sporting event/splurge of the year. I am not going to quibble about all the details, just happy when I can go.

I believe the announcement said both semis and the finals would be in primetime. That would lead me to believe Monday start times would be 7 and 9:30 which is another dumb decision
07-12-2017 10:25 AM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
(07-12-2017 08:25 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  

This is a bit more like where I sit. I was taking 2-3 days off before (F travel day, M, T if we play Monday).

New setup, I would do S Travel Day (although that could move to F depending on game times), M off, T off, Possible Wed off.

So, still 2-3 days - possibly one extra day.

For casual fans, I see the problem. For me, mostly a non-issue.
07-12-2017 10:32 AM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

It's the same channel that carries all the Army/Navy football games on cable around the country. I'm quite sure that's national.

For those who don't live in VA for the previous Comcast coverage of the CAA semis, it will be nice to be able to see the semi's available everywhere.

Again, I can see the trade-off, it's ok by me.
07-12-2017 11:03 AM
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston

It gets more people watching for those who are fans nationally, outside of the CAA footprint, but other than that, it isn't the best thing we could have gotten.

CBSSN's only cordcutting option is on Hulu, and they only stream on a few cable systems. They are on DirecTV and Dish, which gets them most of their viewers, but a lot of people still have cable here.

You have to get a higher-level package on Comcast to get it, and Wow, a system a lot of people have here, doesn't even carry CBSSN. Last year, I remember a lot of CofC people complaining because they didn't have a way to watch the CAA finals.

CofC's TV package is mostly on OTA MyTV, a channel that everybody in the area can get. Most of Comcast and ASN's CofC games that they aired went there too.

Other than their college basketball and football, CBSSN basically shows talk shows half the day, and the rest of the time, whatever low level sporting events they have rights to.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2017 11:11 AM by sctvman.)
07-12-2017 11:11 AM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(07-12-2017 11:11 AM)sctvman Wrote:  

It gets more people watching for those who are fans nationally, outside of the CAA footprint, but other than that, it isn't the best thing we could have gotten.

CBSSN's only cordcutting option is on Hulu, and they only stream on a few cable systems. They are on DirecTV and Dish, which gets them most of their viewers, but a lot of people still have cable here.

You have to get a higher-level package on Comcast to get it, and Wow, a system a lot of people have here, doesn't even carry CBSSN. Last year, I remember a lot of CofC people complaining because they didn't have a way to watch the CAA finals.

CofC's TV package is mostly on OTA MyTV, a channel that everybody in the area can get. Most of Comcast and ASN's CofC games that they aired went there too.

Other than their college basketball and football, CBSSN basically shows talk shows half the day, and the rest of the time, whatever low level sporting events they have rights to.

Yeah CBSSN is terrible. They have the broadcast rights to the Mountain West, so any time I want to watch an Air Force game I have to go to a bar. Even then, I've been to bars that don't get the channel. And the production value is certainly lacking. Not quite as bad as some of the ASN games in the past but way behind NBCSN.
07-12-2017 11:21 AM
Sitting bull Offline
All American

All I know is I can watch the semis for the first time this year if on CBSSports. That's good by me - and an upgrade.

I watch Navy games almost every Saturday in the Fall. I think the broadcasts are just fine.

To say this coverage is worse than last year is ridiculous.
07-12-2017 12:04 PM
Tribe2011 Offline
2nd String

I would bet the number of people who can watch these games on CBSSN "nationally" is far lower than the number able to see the semifinals on various Comcast SportsNets before. And I suspect those Comcast SportsNets also reached much of the alumni base for CAA schools. This is going to be many fewer eyeballs watching the CAA's basketball showcase. Unless the money was huge (which I'm skeptical of), just streaming the damn thing online seems a much better option.
07-12-2017 12:10 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(07-12-2017 12:10 PM)Tribe2011 Wrote:  I would bet the number of people who can watch these games on CBSSN "nationally" is far lower than the number able to see the semifinals on various Comcast SportsNets before. And I suspect those Comcast SportsNets also reached much of the alumni base for CAA schools. This is going to be many fewer eyeballs watching the CAA's basketball showcase. Unless the money was huge (which I'm skeptical of), just streaming the damn thing online seems a much better option.

I have no doubt about this. The deal is worse for the conference in every single way.
07-12-2017 12:20 PM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(07-12-2017 12:04 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  All I know is I can watch the semis for the first time this year if on CBSSports. That's good by me - and an upgrade.

I watch Navy games almost every Saturday in the Fall. I think the broadcasts are just fine.

To say this coverage is worse than last year is ridiculous.

In Wilmington the semis are going from free channel 10 with free streaming online to an upper tier cable channel with streaming behind a pay wall.

If you were not in a CAA area yes it may be a plus, but those wanting to watch the CAA in non CAA areas should not be the priority.
07-12-2017 12:39 PM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

CBS Sports Network is national in that it is available nationally. But like someone said, it's usually only included in one of the upper packages offered by the various providers. NBCSN and Fox Sports 1 by comparison are often in the first or second tier option. If CBS gets their act together and wants to make this a real sports network, that would be great; but if their big ticket item is Army/Navy games when they aren't playing each other or teams like ND, USC, etc., that's not much to hope for.
07-12-2017 01:30 PM
Tribeheart Online
Heisman

They are, unfortunately, not even offered by Sling TV.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
07-12-2017 01:41 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

Anybody want to facetime the games to this message board? Probably a lot easier to watch than the other options...
07-12-2017 01:46 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

Since I won't be able to watch the games on my basic cable, and since I don't go to bars, my only option left to watch the games will be to actually go to Charleston. Hmmm, it could be worse -- but I wish the tournament was back in Richmond!
07-12-2017 02:51 PM
nogretheogre Offline
Lord of Bots & Tots

11-08-2017 05:21 PM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

(11-08-2017 05:21 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  VB Arena seems dead again.

https://pilotonline.com/news/government/...c591d.html

It's good to see local politicians realize the burden that can come from an arena. In many cases they are a losing financial endeavor for a city. For it to make sense, you need a team willing to set up shop there (a real team, not G-league or something); and even then big teams like that somehow manage to finagle it so the local citizens pay for a good chunk of the arena.
11-08-2017 09:10 PM
Tribeheart Online
Heisman

We'll see what comes out of this in reality, but if there is finally some tangible movement, then Richmond has to be back squarely in the picture for the CAA tournaments, both men and women.

Richmond Mayor Stoney announces major downtown redevelopment plan centered on new Coliseum

http://www.richmond.com/news/local/city-...4f1c2.html
The centerpiece – a new arena with at least 17,500 seats – would serve as a catalyst for further growth in the area, Stoney said, replacing the dilapidated, smaller Coliseum that costs city taxpayers $1 million a year to operate.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
11-09-2017 09:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.