Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN can rot; bad for America
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
RE: ESPN can rot; bad for America
(07-16-2015 11:05 AM)VA49er Wrote:  ESPYs pretty much in line with MTV Awards.

NOPE.

ESPN does show sports, MTV hasn't shown music videos in a decade or more...
07-16-2015 05:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
Re: RE: ESPN can rot; bad for America
(07-16-2015 05:40 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

NOPE.

Read. He was comparing the awards shows, not the networks in general.
07-16-2015 05:50 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
ESPN blows. I don't watch it unless they show UConn football. That's about three times a year.
07-16-2015 06:54 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Honestly, I don't understand why people are so god damned sensitive. Award shows are crap, by rule they need something to draw viewers and to be talked about afterwards for days.

You clowns are doing exactly what they want, you are talking about it. Stop being so damn sensitive and stop being miniature tyrants that want to tell everyone else how to live their lives.

God told you to leave the judgement to him, hypocrites.
07-16-2015 06:56 PM
Rabbit_in_Red Offline
Banned

I Root For: Louisville, ACC
(07-16-2015 06:56 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Honestly, I don't understand why people are so god damned sensitive. Award shows are crap, by rule they need something to draw viewers and to be talked about afterwards for days.

You clowns are doing exactly what they want, you are talking about it. Stop being so damn sensitive and stop being miniature tyrants that want to tell everyone else how to live their lives.

WILL YOU STOP F***ING DOING THAT!? UGH! I'M GETTING TIRED OF AGREEING WITH YOU AROUND HERE!
07-16-2015 07:19 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(07-16-2015 05:50 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  
(07-16-2015 05:40 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

NOPE.

Read. He was comparing the awards shows, not the networks in general.

>_>

Well, lets see here ESPN shows sports and has the ESPYs for "sports awards." MTV still has the Music Video Awards but hardly ever shows music videos. The pomp and circumstance for award shows in general is the same across genres.
07-16-2015 08:06 PM
GreenWave16 Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tulane
Caitlyn Jenner is a hero to millions of people out there. She deserves every award she gets. Her courage will overshadow the bigotry and hatred that people have shown her. These are our new heroes, deal with it.
07-16-2015 08:12 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
(07-16-2015 06:56 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Honestly, I don't understand why people are so god damned sensitive. Award shows are crap, by rule they need something to draw viewers and to be talked about afterwards for days.

That's very true about awards shows. Don't forget other media "Countdowns" or "Top 100 X" lists. Aside from the genuine differences of opinion that are part and parcel of human interaction, those are also often somewhat obviously manipulated to put in at least one major "WTF????" entrant, just to get buzz going.

I often think the same about a radio host in KC. He's a K-State grad with a thinly veiled dislike of KU. While I believe some of that is genuine, I also strongly believe that he makes some of those sort of statements on purpose just to stir the sh*t. I don't know how often I'll visit a KU message board and see people bitching endlessly about the guy and wanting to somehow hurt him or prove him wrong, when the only thing they actually could do that would have any impact is to get smart enough to turn their radio dial if they're so offended.
07-16-2015 08:26 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(07-16-2015 07:19 PM)Rabbit_in_Red Wrote:  

WILL YOU STOP F***ING DOING THAT!? UGH! I'M GETTING TIRED OF AGREEING WITH YOU AROUND HERE!

I have done my job well when folks that agree with me are more angry at me than everyone else. 04-wine
07-16-2015 09:03 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
(07-16-2015 02:00 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  I don't like politics. If I did I would watch fox news or MSNBC. Can't I watch a sports station and expect it to be about sports?? Am I expecting too much? If Catlain Jenner won an award for a sporting accomplishment great, but that's not what happened last night. I guess I'm making idiotic statements because I expect a 24 hour sports tv channel to stay on topic: Reporting the sporting events that have occurred, not making the news. If I wanted to debate politics with anyone...Neverminnd. Peace to all. I stand by my statement, "I hope ESPN rots"--for the MANY reasons I listed. Please read my entire post before personally attacking me.cheers

Brother, I'm with you entirely in your view of politics. I don't like/trust/identify with either major political party. I think they're both full if schitt. Also, I am with you entirely in my disgust of ESPN. They can rot in hell in my book too.

I'm just saying that the ESPN big wigs don't care about politics at all. Do you really think they are trying to change your social views? That's very naive, IMHO. They only care about money. By leeching off one of the biggest social news stories of the year - like the barnacles they are - stands to make that company a lot of money.

BTW, Bruce Jenner was an avowed Republican. He has raised a ton of money for the GOP over the years. I'm not sure where Caitlyn's political leanings lie?
07-16-2015 09:54 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
(07-16-2015 02:07 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Why anyone gives two ***** about ESPN, the ESPY's and/or the award to Caitlyn Jenner is a mystery to me.

Pretty much.
07-16-2015 09:57 PM
NestaKnight1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(07-16-2015 08:12 PM)GreenWave16 Wrote:  Caitlyn Jenner is a hero to millions of people out there. She deserves every award she gets. Her courage will overshadow the bigotry and hatred that people have shown her. These are our new heroes, deal with it.

Translation: the world is a fuc$ked up place, and is getting more fuc$ked up by the minute.
07-16-2015 10:15 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(07-16-2015 04:38 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(07-16-2015 04:18 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  Stuart Scott was not an athlete and cancer is not sports. Did you get this worked up over his award last year?

Also, your original post said "you heard about the award". In another post you say "can't I watch a show about sports.."

So did you watch it or not. If you didn't, how was your life adversely affected.

Yes, and last night was the very first time I've ever watched ESPN. AdCorbet, why did you even bother replying to this?

If you were as smart as you think you are, then you would notice that if you watched ESPN last night, you know for the "first time," you didn't see the ESPY Awards: You saw a replay of the Home Run Derby. You know seeing as how the ESPY's were on ABC and all. Which is not a sports station... So this entire thread, about yo ubeing offended because you turned to a "sports station," and are upset because you didn't see sports (even though this is about a sports awards show which gave an award to a former athlete) was actually on a general entertainment channel, meaning this entire thread was for nothing. 04-chairshot

/thread
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2015 08:19 AM by adcorbett.)
07-16-2015 10:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(07-16-2015 09:54 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  
(07-16-2015 02:00 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  I don't like politics. If I did I would watch fox news or MSNBC. Can't I watch a sports station and expect it to be about sports?? Am I expecting too much? If Catlain Jenner won an award for a sporting accomplishment great, but that's not what happened last night. I guess I'm making idiotic statements because I expect a 24 hour sports tv channel to stay on topic: Reporting the sporting events that have occurred, not making the news. If I wanted to debate politics with anyone...Neverminnd. Peace to all. I stand by my statement, "I hope ESPN rots"--for the MANY reasons I listed. Please read my entire post before personally attacking me.cheers

Brother, I'm with you entirely in your view of politics. I don't like/trust/identify with either major political party. I think they're both full if schitt. Also, I am with you entirely in my disgust of ESPN. They can rot in hell in my book too.

I'm just saying that the ESPN big wigs don't care about politics at all. Do you really think they are trying to change your social views? That's very naive, IMHO. They only care about money. By leeching off one of the biggest social news stories of the year - like the barnacles they are - stands to make that company a lot of money.

BTW, Bruce Jenner was an avowed Republican. He has raised a ton of money for the GOP over the years. I'm not sure where Caitlyn's political leanings lie?

Brother, i have absolutely no idea if Jenner is a Republican or not nor do I care. I don't like politics and have never joined any political party. I made several points about ESPN becoming too political for my liking, and out of all those points I made, a couple of pro ESPN posters who are politically partisan started insulting me for ONE of my points. I read several of these posters past posts and they obviously have some political interest. I'm not saying that's bad either; more power to them if that's their thing. The problem is I "annoyed" them because they think I'm on the other side of the political isle. I'm on no side. I dislike politics. Again, MSNBC fox news etc are networks for politics. The "everything" sports network has not been every thing sports in a long while and I personally have had enough of it, and I'm cutting cable on July 25 when I leave for annual training and I hope I never have to pay for ESPN/Fox news, msnbc etc again. I love Game of thrones and HBO but...I will be attending ECU games in person (and some Houston games) and hope i can watch the ECU games I'll miss online instead. There is a way to do it. Just one mans humble opinion on an opinion board, and Adcorbet, I'm hoping you'll apologize for your personal insults about me. I've never personally attacked you. My not liking ESPN has nothing to do with you unless you now own it. I've always admired Louisville from the day Howard S. gave his "crash course to the national championship" press conference, to playing in the Fiesta Bowl only a few seasons after. Cheers!
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2015 04:34 AM by billybobby777.)
07-17-2015 03:40 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(07-17-2015 03:40 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(07-16-2015 09:54 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  

Brother, i have absolutely no idea if Jenner is a Republican or not nor do I care. I don't like politics and have never joined any political party. I made several points about ESPN becoming too political for my liking, and out of all those points I made, a couple of pro ESPN posters who are politically partisan started insulting me for ONE of my points. I read several of these posters past posts and they obviously have some political interest. I'm not saying that's bad either; more power to them if that's their thing. The problem is I "annoyed" them because they think I'm on the other side of the political isle. I'm on no side. I dislike politics. Again, MSNBC fox news etc are networks for politics. The "everything" sports network has not been every thing sports in a long while and I personally have had enough of it, and I'm cutting cable on July 25 when I leave for annual training and I hope I never have to pay for ESPN/Fox news, msnbc etc again. I love Game of thrones and HBO but...I will be attending ECU games in person (and some Houston games) and hope i can watch the ECU games I'll miss online instead. There is a way to do it. Just one mans humble opinion on an opinion board, and Adcorbet, I'm hoping you'll apologize for your personal insults about me. I've never personally attacked you. My not liking ESPN has nothing to do with you unless you now own it. I've always admired Louisville from the day Howard S. gave his "crash course to the national championship" press conference, to playing in the Fiesta Bowl only a few seasons after. Cheers!

I agree entirely with the OP. 04-cheers
07-17-2015 08:28 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
Even though this was all about him not actually watching the show. You know since he is complaining about what "he watched on "ESPN," when talking about a show that aired on another network, meaning he made the entire outrage up? SMH
(This post was last modified: 07-17-2015 08:40 AM by adcorbett.)
07-17-2015 08:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
What I've watched of E$PN, it pretty much mirrors what he was saying though, in general. But I don't even subscribe to those channels in my TV package since it costs a lot and most of it is drivel, other than the actual games.
07-17-2015 08:53 AM
PGEMF Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Ohio State
1. This is a fake awards show

2. It was NOT on ESPN, so if you knew about it ahead of time, and didn't want to watch, why would you? I've never watched, and it has nothing to do with who is getting "honored"

3. Why people are outraged about who does/doesn't receive awards on a fake awards show is beyond me.
07-17-2015 10:36 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(07-17-2015 10:36 AM)PGEMF Wrote:  1. This is a fake awards show

2. It was NOT on ESPN, so if you knew about it ahead of time, and didn't want to watch, why would you? I've never watched, and it has nothing to do with who is getting "honored"

3. Why people are outraged about who does/doesn't receive awards on a fake awards show is beyond me.
I listed several reasons why I don't like watching ESPN anymore. I hate debating straw man arguments but just to get the people on here the truth on the 1 single point their nitpicking. I turned on ESPN the morning after their award show. They were going on about Jenner winning the espy the night before. I used that as my latest example of ESPN getting away from sports. Does anyone dispute ANYTHING else in my Original post??? Anything? I guess the nay Sayers agree with every one of my points because the straw man arguments about if I actually watched Jenner receiving the award " live" on ABC or "how does this adversely affect you?" is all I keep hearing from the posters who don't like my Original Post. Adcorbet, when on a diatribe personally insulting me, calling me idiotic, stupid, the worst poster (agreed by the majority of this board, he said) and that my mentioning Catlain "annoyed" him. Last time I ask you Adcorbet, are you going to apologize? I haven't hijacked your threads or posts, and after reading some of your past stuff, there's a lot of material to use against you. Free speech homie....that's why we serve. No more straw man, semantics games or nitpicking. This is about respect. Do you apologize for the things you said about me? Cheers!
07-17-2015 10:59 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(07-16-2015 04:18 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(07-16-2015 02:00 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(07-16-2015 01:47 PM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  Stupid thread full of dangerously idiotic opinions.

Look, I couldn't give two shitts about the ESPY's (or any other awards show). I especially don't care who ESPN names as it's football player of the year, basseball player of the year, hockey player of the year, etc; or who should win the Arthur Ashe Courage Award. That's right up there on my Whogivesaahit List.

However, don't be an idiot. ESPN's "agenda" has nothing to do with politics at all. It has to do with ratings; which in turn equals money. That is literally all they care about.

They couldn't care less if people accept transgenders or homosexuals or blacks or Latinos, or women, or whomever. They only care that you watch their garbage awards show and clearly more people will tune in to watch some has been transgender athlete who just had a sex change or is contemplating one than they will some more deserving crippled girl of whom you've never heard.

This is what I called the FOX-ifixation of America. Anytime any media outlet does anything that you don't agree with, or are uncomfortable acknowledging, you just blanket condemn them as being evil and liberal. That is much easier than dealing with the uncomfortable reality a number of people who live amongst us are gay or transgender or in someway different than the vast majority of the rest of us.

Who cares if Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner got some stupid award from some made up program? Why on earth would that offend anyone? Whether that person - or the millions of others like her - identifies as a man or a woman or a Latino or a beagle doesn't have any impact on any of our lives and I have no idea why people would be offended by it? Frankly, it's somehow even more strange than a 60-some-year-old man who suddenly starts acting and dressing like a woman.

I don't like politics. If I did I would watch fox news or MSNBC. Can't I watch a sports station and expect it to be about sports?? Am I expecting too much? If Catlain Jenner won an award for a sporting accomplishment great, but that's not what happened last night. I guess I'm making idiotic statements because I expect a 24 hour sports tv channel to stay on topic: Reporting the sporting events that have occurred, not making the news. If I wanted to debate politics with anyone...Neverminnd. Peace to all. I stand by my statement, "I hope ESPN rots"--for the MANY reasons I listed. Please read my entire post before personally attacking me.cheers

Stuart Scott was not an athlete and cancer is not sports. Did you get this worked up over his award last year?

Also, your original post said "you heard about the award". In another post you say "can't I watch a show about sports.."

So did you watch it or not. If you didn't, how was your life adversely affected.

Stuart Scott contributed to sports by reporting sports scores and all that almost to the day he died. What have Jenner done lately? Bringing a trashy Kardashian family to have a trashy reality show that had nothing to sports. This is not political. It is more of social issues and that what Bruce is doing is trying to create controversy to help boast the falling ratings of the Kardashian's reality show. ESPN need to stay away from something controversial like that whole clan. I have heard from other transgenders and they are saying Bruce is hurting their caused. Some of them also think this is just a publicity stunt.
07-17-2015 11:05 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.