Tramel: Big 12 brain trust a disaster when it comes to making decisions
05-08-2015 06:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Otacon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Tramel: Big 12 brain trust a disaster when it comes to making decisions
Great article! If only the Big XII could be like the ACC....

SARCASM
05-09-2015 12:11 PM
Justme Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Mizzou
I don't think that the Big 12 can make any other type of move. The Big 12 is forced to stay at 10 and have a round robin type format. The question that I ask is: Is there a current university that is available that ESPN and Fox would be willing to pay 20+ million dollars per year if it joined the Big 12? To me, the answer is no. The Big 12 is not going to get a school from the B1G, SEC, PAC or ACC to jump to the Big 12. That leaves a school from a G5 conference to move up to the Big 12. I do not see ESPN or Fox willing to pony up the money for that move. This leave the Big 12 stuck with 10 members. There is no way that the Big 12 can take the prestige hit of lowering payments to members to add more members. It would be a PR disaster.

Likewise, the Big 12 is stuck with the LHN and will not get a B12N. I just don't see ESPN being willing to morph the LHN into a B12N. This also will increasingly marginalize the Big 12. The Big 12 is becoming a regional entity like the other G5 conferences. The only saving grace for the Big 12 is UT and OU's reputation. OU and UT may win a championship while still in the Big 12 but for long term survivability I do not think OU and UT can stay in the Big 12 for the long haul. Who else survives in a P5 conference from the Big 12 is open for debate.
05-10-2015 10:05 AM
Advertisement

Otacon Offline
Special Teams

My opinion is expand with three teams I feel can be grown into bigger better athletic programs. Those three are Cincinnati, East Carolina, & Central Florida. I know they don't seem like much, but I feel they have upward trending football programs and potential.
05-10-2015 11:22 AM
Justme Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Mizzou
(05-10-2015 11:22 AM)Otacon Wrote:  My opinion is expand with three teams I feel can be grown into bigger better athletic programs. Those three are Cincinnati, East Carolina, & Central Florida. I know they don't seem like much, but I feel they have upward trending football programs and potential.

Again, my question is: Will ESPN and Fox be willing to pony up the money for those three schools? You are asking ESPN and Fox to substantially increase payout to those 3 schools. Also, Big 12 member schools would get less from their bowl game distribution going from 10 to 13. No conference will be willing to take a conference distribution being less from one year to the next. That is why I do not see the Big 12 expanding. There are no schools worth $20+Million per year that are available. You are asking ESPN and Fox to pony up for two directional schools and a city school. Doubt that would happen.
(This post was last modified: 05-10-2015 01:04 PM by Justme.)
05-10-2015 01:03 PM
Advertisement

Otacon Offline
Special Teams

Yea, I doubt it too
05-10-2015 03:13 PM
TX Ponder Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNT
Expansion is the key to the Big XII's survival. They need to move now and make it a bold move. The networks will look at the teams, fan base, potential TV market additions, and the overall perception of future growth and thus revenues. The Big XII needs to solidify its name and trademark. Instead of talking just adding teams, look at adding states and markets - make the trademark a force in 12 states covering all conferences and competing for market and recruits. Here's a plan:
*Three Divisions - minimizes travel and allows for building rivals across state lines as well as interstate while adding markets
*Round robin in the divisions and play one team on a round robin in the other divisions
*Build some continuity into the conference by adding geographical partners
*Play a championship game based on best record and national ranking.
Here is some suggested divisions and teams:

Red Division - TCU, Iowa State, West Virginia, Cincinnati, Memphis, and East Carolina
White Division - Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Texas, UCF, and USF (option Houston for USF)
Blue Division - Kansas, Kansas State, Texas Tech, Air Force, BYU, Boise State (option San Diego State for Boise State - TV market main reason).
05-19-2015 08:36 PM
Advertisement

Otacon Offline
Special Teams

That is too many teams!
05-20-2015 06:02 AM
Otacon Offline
Special Teams

Will the Big XII expand? Who knows..... It'll be a fun ride though. Hopefully, WVU will come out a winner. But the state/fans will still support them wherever they end up.
05-20-2015 06:07 AM
Advertisement

bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

Oh great! Another thread from somebody who knows exactly what the XII should do to ensure a better future. 03-banghead
05-20-2015 11:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NestaKnight1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF
(05-10-2015 01:03 PM)Justme Wrote:  
(05-10-2015 11:22 AM)Otacon Wrote:  My opinion is expand with three teams I feel can be grown into bigger better athletic programs. Those three are Cincinnati, East Carolina, & Central Florida. I know they don't seem like much, but I feel they have upward trending football programs and potential.

Again, my question is: Will ESPN and Fox be willing to pony up the money for those three schools? You are asking ESPN and Fox to substantially increase payout to those 3 schools. Also, Big 12 member schools would get less from their bowl game distribution going from 10 to 13. No conference will be willing to take a conference distribution being less from one year to the next. That is why I do not see the Big 12 expanding. There are no schools worth $20+Million per year that are available. You are asking ESPN and Fox to pony up for two directional schools and a city school. Doubt that would happen.
Hey one is a "locational" school, lol. Those schools would take less than the 20 million annually. You are presuming they would want a pro rata share coming in the front door. I know at least UCF understands the business side of realignment.
06-19-2015 07:50 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.