Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Marching Bucs
Bookmark and Share
BucWild Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Marching Bucs
The music for pregame and halftime has been set for quite a while and I would not describe it as "simplistic," just music that fits the theme of the show. The show is entitled "We're Back!" which will feature the opening fanfare/theme of Back to the Future, followed by AC/DC's "Back in Black," as well as "Get Back" by the Beatles and closing with the finale of Stravinsky's "Firebird Suite." We are trying to incorporate things from past ETSU marching bands, as well as creating a new identity for the Marching Bucs. So you will see and hear things that will bring back memories like playing the Waltz to open pregame, albeit a new kick ass arrangement, and hearing the drum line rocking out with the famed Brick House cadence. We do have some new things to get excited about as well, including new original music, stands tunes that have not been played by Buc Brass for basketball games, and yes new drum cadences. Exciting things are happening as we're less than two weeks away from the start of band camp! Hope to see some of you all out at rehearsals!
08-04-2015 06:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bucfan1968 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(08-04-2015 06:22 PM)BucWild Wrote:  The music for pregame and halftime has been set for quite a while and I would not describe it as "simplistic," just music that fits the theme of the show. The show is entitled "We're Back!" which will feature the opening fanfare/theme of Back to the Future, followed by AC/DC's "Back in Black," as well as "Get Back" by the Beatles and closing with the finale of Stravinsky's "Firebird Suite." We are trying to incorporate things from past ETSU marching bands, as well as creating a new identity for the Marching Bucs. So you will see and hear things that will bring back memories like playing the Waltz to open pregame, albeit a new kick ass arrangement, and hearing the drum line rocking out with the famed Brick House cadence. We do have some new things to get excited about as well, including new original music, stands tunes that have not been played by Buc Brass for basketball games, and yes new drum cadences. Exciting things are happening as we're less than two weeks away from the start of band camp! Hope to see some of you all out at rehearsals!

Where and when????
08-04-2015 06:48 PM
Buckyball Offline
Bench Warmer

Marching Bucs
Anybody that plays Wagon Wheel in a club downtown gets stuff thrown at them now, the tune has been overplayed there so much. Seriously. Out of town, people still love it and it's still a great tune, but here and there, not every game.

BucWild, that sounds Great!
08-04-2015 09:13 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
(08-04-2015 06:22 PM)BucWild Wrote:  The music for pregame and halftime has been set for quite a while and I would not describe it as "simplistic," just music that fits the theme of the show. The show is entitled "We're Back!" which will feature the opening fanfare/theme of Back to the Future, followed by AC/DC's "Back in Black," as well as "Get Back" by the Beatles and closing with the finale of Stravinsky's "Firebird Suite." We are trying to incorporate things from past ETSU marching bands, as well as creating a new identity for the Marching Bucs. So you will see and hear things that will bring back memories like playing the Waltz to open pregame, albeit a new kick ass arrangement, and hearing the drum line rocking out with the famed Brick House cadence. We do have some new things to get excited about as well, including new original music, stands tunes that have not been played by Buc Brass for basketball games, and yes new drum cadences. Exciting things are happening as we're less than two weeks away from the start of band camp! Hope to see some of you all out at rehearsals!

That all sounds really interesting. Any insights into what happens with a pregame show? I'm not gonna lie, I really believe the team should be running through an E.
If the new arrangement to the waltz is anything like the last one, it'll be bad ass. The old one was the best arrangement of any college band in the state (including the POTS and the Aristocrats).
I hope as well logistics have been worked so you guys can march into the stadium while over at Kermit Tipton. There's just something really special about cold air, sweatshirts, the smell of bourbon and ribs on a smoker, and a drum line off in the distance getting louder as they approach.
08-04-2015 09:26 PM
BucWild Offline
Water Engineer

(08-04-2015 06:48 PM)bucfan1968 Wrote:  

Where and when????

Band camp is August 15th-21st from 8 in the morning till 8 at night. Rehearsals during the year will be from 2:45-4:45 on MWF. And if you're in the parking lot looking towards the soccer stadium, we will be rehearsing all season at the last "field" before you hit Greenwood Drive.
08-05-2015 12:01 AM
BucWild Offline
Water Engineer

(08-04-2015 09:13 PM)Buckyball Wrote:  Anybody that plays Wagon Wheel in a club downtown gets stuff thrown at them now, the tune has been overplayed there so much. Seriously. Out of town, people still love it and it's still a great tune, but here and there, not every game.

BucWild, that sounds Great!

Sadly the athletic department REALLY wants us to play Wagon Wheel.. 03-banghead
08-05-2015 12:02 AM
BucWild Offline
Water Engineer

(08-04-2015 09:26 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  

That all sounds really interesting. Any insights into what happens with a pregame show? I'm not gonna lie, I really believe the team should be running through an E.
If the new arrangement to the waltz is anything like the last one, it'll be bad ass. The old one was the best arrangement of any college band in the state (including the POTS and the Aristocrats).
I hope as well logistics have been worked so you guys can march into the stadium while over at Kermit Tipton. There's just something really special about cold air, sweatshirts, the smell of bourbon and ribs on a smoker, and a drum line off in the distance getting louder as they approach.

We're still figuring out the logistics for coming into the stadium, and as far as the set that the team will come onto the field with.. you'll just have to come to the first game and see! 04-cheers
08-05-2015 12:07 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I'll be watching, but sadly due to some family issues involving my kids can't do it.
Perhaps we can start a petition for NO WAGON WHEEL! It was cool the first four million times it was played, but damn.
Who's in for metaphorically blowing the athletic department and band director for No Wagon Wheel?
08-05-2015 08:38 AM
BucWild Offline
Water Engineer

(08-05-2015 08:38 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  I'll be watching, but sadly due to some family issues involving my kids can't do it.
Perhaps we can start a petition for NO WAGON WHEEL! It was cool the first four million times it was played, but damn.
Who's in for metaphorically blowing the athletic department and band director for No Wagon Wheel?

No no it's not the director at all! We don't actually have it yet, but they have been pushing for us to do it for a while.
08-05-2015 10:09 AM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Purdue,ETSU,G5
I'd like it as touchdown song, but not for anything else. GDFR as the third down song is annoying, hopefully they the team picks something different this fall when they play.
08-05-2015 11:27 AM
etsubuc Offline
All American

Its annoying even as a touchdown song. That was probably the worst thing about the Spring game. It was annoying to everyone that I talked to. We have to come up with something MUCH better than that for touchdowns.
08-05-2015 01:00 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

(08-05-2015 01:00 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  Its annoying even as a touchdown song. That was probably the worst thing about the Spring game. It was annoying to everyone that I talked to. We have to come up with something MUCH better than that for touchdowns.
It wasn't annoying to me, but I do live the country.
08-05-2015 01:30 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

(08-05-2015 01:00 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  Its annoying even as a touchdown song. That was probably the worst thing about the Spring game. It was annoying to everyone that I talked to. We have to come up with something MUCH better than that for touchdowns.

How bout the fight song? Play it through the point, just bring it soft and play it loud after the PAT play is completed...
Just please, no Wagon Wheel after every touchdown/score. Maybe once a game, that's it.
08-05-2015 01:31 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(08-05-2015 01:31 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  

How bout the fight song? Play it through the point, just bring it soft and play it loud after the PAT play is completed...
Just please, no Wagon Wheel after every touchdown/score. Maybe once a game, that's it.

I am in favor of Wagon Wheel but maybe once a game also. We need to hear other things from our band. I am anticipating the band just like football. To think what we have had to do without the past 12 years!
08-05-2015 02:17 PM
Buc2002 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I'm wondering which bars get this reaction for Wagon Wheel in JC? Everywhere I go the reaction is great and people obviously sing out the "Johnson City" line.

Opinions on songs obviously vary widely. Heck, there are plenty of people that are annoyed by Rocky Top -- both those from outside Tennessee as well as people who call the state home. Wagon Wheel falls in the more "beloved" column in my opinion, and has been the reason for the push to utilize it at games.

I don't think starting petitions for what should and should not be played is appropriate at this point, mainly because the first game hasn't even kicked. It will all depend on fan reaction, etc., not to mention the ultimate factor, which is the actual composition of Wagon Wheel that the band comes up with.

As for the other plans by the band, it's sounding great. And the halftime show line up appears really solid.
08-05-2015 03:17 PM
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

(08-05-2015 03:17 PM)Buc2002 Wrote:  I'm wondering which bars get this reaction for Wagon Wheel in JC? Everywhere I go the reaction is great and people obviously sing out the "Johnson City" line.

Opinions on songs obviously vary widely. Heck, there are plenty of people that are annoyed by Rocky Top -- both those from outside Tennessee as well as people who call the state home. Wagon Wheel falls in the more "beloved" column in my opinion, and has been the reason for the push to utilize it at games.

I don't think starting petitions for what should and should not be played is appropriate at this point, mainly because the first game hasn't even kicked. It will all depend on fan reaction, etc., not to mention the ultimate factor, which is the actual composition of Wagon Wheel that the band comes up with.

As for the other plans by the band, it's sounding great. And the halftime show line up appears really solid.
I get emotional at Rocky Top and I'm not even a UT fan. I think it's more because Tennessee is my home. Wagon Wheel is definitely a beloved song, I don't know why it would get hate besides the Darius Rucker cover.
08-05-2015 06:03 PM
BucWild Offline
Water Engineer

(08-05-2015 01:31 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  

It will just be the fight song.
08-05-2015 06:12 PM
TheShadow Offline
2nd String

(08-05-2015 06:12 PM)BucWild Wrote:  It will just be the fight song.

Glad more sensible heads prevailed there. Wagon Wheel is a great song on its own; but not the upbeat cadence/tempo of Rocky Top, and certainly not for the amped-up atmosphere a college football game should be.
(This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 09:14 PM by TheShadow.)
08-05-2015 09:14 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsuandpurdue3 Offline
1st String

(08-05-2015 09:14 PM)TheShadow Wrote:  
(08-05-2015 06:12 PM)BucWild Wrote:  It will just be the fight song.

Glad more sensible heads prevailed there. Wagon Wheel is a great song on its own; but not the upbeat cadence/tempo of Rocky Top, and certainly not for the amped-up atmosphere a college football game should be.
They play "Take Me Home, Country Roads" by John Denver at West Virginia games, but I agree with the music should be more upbeat.
08-05-2015 09:39 PM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

John Denver opened Milan-Puskar stadium in Morgantown. Musicians are sick of Wagon Wheel to the point 20 dollars might get it played in Nashville. I think I saw a sign in a bar in the spring up there that said NO WAGON WHEEL in all caps. I laughed because its true. Its overdone.
08-05-2015 10:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.