Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FBS Commissioners - 4 team Championship is Enough
First Mate Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
RE: FBS Commissioners - 4 team Championship is Enough
(03-11-2015 06:10 PM)YNot Wrote:  The Sun Bowl (on CBS) was the only 2014-15 bowl game not televised by ESPN/ABC.

To help raise the G5 profile, the G5 should team up with CBS or FOX or NBC to get some G5 v. G5 bowl games at time slots that compete with the P5 v. P5 slate. Move the Miami Beach, Poinsettia, and Armed Forces bowls to after Christmas.

Sure, they would go up against some P5 v. P5 bowl games, but there are plenty of fans that just want to watch football - they will keep an eye on the G5 games, and even switch over completely when they realize that a close, competitive matchup between Navy and San Diego St. or a shootout between Memphis and Marshall is more compelling than Oregon St. v. Maryland or Iowa v. Boston College.

I like this idea. A good matchup with the AAC/MWC would be nice on a competitive network. We've got to think outside the box here people.

Ynot, I'm coming out for the ECU/BYU game in October. Any sights you would recommend in the Salt Lake area or elsewhere? I'm gonna have a free day on Friday before the game and was going to take in some sights. Thanks.
03-11-2015 06:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(03-11-2015 06:27 PM)First Mate Wrote:  Ynot, I'm coming out for the ECU/BYU game in October. Any sights you would recommend in the Salt Lake area or elsewhere? I'm gonna have a free day on Friday before the game and was going to take in some sights. Thanks.

Start at Temple Square in downtown SLC. 10-15 minute drive from the airport. Check out the museums and visitors centers. Also, stop into the Family History Library, and ask for help in finding ancestors, distant cousins, and how closely you are related to historical figures - it can actually be pretty entertaining.

Then, drive out to Park City (about 20-30 minutes east of SLC - ignore the ugly "U" on the mountain as you leave the Salt Lake valley) and tour Olympic Park (and ride the bobsleds, if you have $$$) and walk/shop historic Main Street. Plenty of quality restaurants from which to choose on Main Street. There are also some nice alpine slides and zip line at the Park City Resort - if you like that sort of thing - and assuming no early snow.

Head south from Park City (the back way to Provo) and head to Midway, a quaint Swiss settlement (also where the Cougar football team stays pre-game) and swim in the Homestead crater.

Weather and time permitting, hike/walk to one of the falls on Provo River Canyon trail or in Aspen Grove and finish with a meal at the Foundry restaurant at Sundance.

OR, from Midway, head to Provo through the canyon (skipping Sundance) and hike Y Mount (to the giant white-washed "Y" on the mountainside) and finish with a meal at Black Sheep, just off Main Street in old town Provo.

If you're really into the outdoors, skip Park City and Midway and head to the Alpine Loop north of Sundance where you can see the glaciers on the backside of Mount Timpanogos and explore the trails among the aspen forest and visit Timpanogos Caves (reservation required). The caves are more easily accessible from the North entrance - take the Timpanogos Hwy from Thanksgiving Point exit off I-15 in Lehi. About 30 minutes north of Provo.

If the ECU-BYU game is scheduled for Saturday evening, you can probably do all of the above on Friday and during the day on Saturday. Consider staying in Midway in that scenario.
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2015 07:14 PM by YNot.)
03-11-2015 07:13 PM
TheEastisPurple Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB Football
(03-11-2015 04:13 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 02:20 PM)TheEastisPurple Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 12:20 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  P5 would have no issue, makes their lives easy if it is the G5 that walks away.

So I just mentioned this in my previous post but why does it make it easier? I'm not saying it doesn't I just don't know rule or law is keeping the P5 from splitting if that's what they want to do. College football divisions have been redrawn in the past. Why can't that happen now?

Well, I don't see the G5 walking away under any circumstance. Here how it woulld make it easier is in two ways if G5 walked away.

1. To keep NCAA D1 basketball, the G5 would have to basically create a new lower subdivision and to keep basketball in the NCAA.

2. G5 splits off entirely which would be suicideal since that would be creating a new type of College Entity like the NAIA.

P5 would like either scenario which will never happen.

So do you think the AAC, C-USA, MAC, MWC, and Sun Belt would be allowed to create a subdivision between FBS and FCS and stay in the NCAA but the ACC, B1G, Big 12, Pac 12, and SEC wouldn't be allowed to create a higher subdivision and stay in the NCAA?

Is it a simple matter of all of the current FBS conferences having to be in agreement? If the AAC, C-USA etc decided to split, everyone would be in agreement. Where if the ACC etc decided to split we wouldn't agree to it?

I could see that being the case but again, if it is, why aren't our commissioners nutting up and pushing for more? If those conferences need our approval to create a higher subdivision, and we are all fairly certain that leaving the NCAA isn't something they want to do, then they are pretty much stuck. If we are risking basically nothing if we push for more, why are we not?

The commissioner of the AAC should have the interest of the AAC as his number one priority obviously. If there is a risk of worsening our position by championing our conference then I can see going along with things. If there is no risk then raise a stink. There are 5 conferences who are more or less happy with the way things are, and 5 who aren't (or shouldn't be). If it's a 5 on 5 fight why are we being left out in the cold? If the bylaws have it written down where those 5 conferences have more power, then I would think we are back in the same boat of collusion people were arguing we were in with the BCS.

I know that on paper it seems like a fair deal. A committee that picks the best 4 teams. There are no longer any written rules that obviously favor certain conferences over others. Surely, our commissioners can realize the SOS problem that we can't really fix that is going to make it nearly impossible for any of us to ever really be included right?

Note: I know you are an NC State fan so when I said we, I wasn't referring to you and me. You are part of "they". Just trying to be clear. Thanks for the civil discussion so far.04-cheers It is nice to hear the thoughts an opinions of a fan on the other side of this conversation. I'm sure if I was in your shoes I wouldn't give a rats arse about things changing.
03-11-2015 08:40 PM
Knightbengal Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
FBS Commissioners - 4 team Championship is Enough
(03-11-2015 09:30 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 09:18 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 09:16 PM)TIGERCITY Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 07:51 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-10-2015 12:03 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Don't agree with the bolded at all. That guarantee is essentially the ONLY reason why I would see the P5 agree to expand to playoff to 8 teams.

That's my thinking as well. In fact, I think this is the best chance for the G5 to gain real playoff access. If the P5 get AQ---then the best-G5-champ access bowl slot would have to be upgraded to an actual playoff slot.

Conversely, if the P5 really is happy with a 4-team playoff, that's the worst possible news for the G5. My feeling is that if the G5 can hang on long enough to gain direct access to the playoff, that access would make the group nationally relevant again. Without that access coming relatively soon, the G5 may eventually just slowly wither on the vine.

If that's the case -- and I think it is --- why wouldn't the P5 elect to simply invite each of the five conference champions to the playoff and than advertise the next three spots as 'open invites' to be selected at large. This avoids the appearance of locking out the G5 (if they even care) but still with the practical effect of locking out the G5. Keep ALL the money. Keep ALL the attention. A win-win-win for the P5.

Because I think any move to 8 will be driven by the "never again" call from P5 champs that are left out of the playoff. Due to this, the expanded playoff would mark a return to AQ status. The P5 would know that antitrust issues could arise from AQ status for some without some guaranteed p,anyof access for the half of FBS football outside the p5. I think that's probably our best chance. I can live with not being AQ as long as I know the most deserving team from the G5 is GUARANTEED access.

That has to be part of the equation. The top ranked G5 team always has to be a part of the playoff if it expands to eight teams. I am more confident that playoff expansion will occur before conference expansion; however, they need to get through at least one cycle of the process before growing the playoff.

Should be included now. How do you call it a division if half the teams can't qualify for the championship
03-12-2015 06:50 PM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(03-11-2015 08:40 PM)TheEastisPurple Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 04:13 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 02:20 PM)TheEastisPurple Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 12:20 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  P5 would have no issue, makes their lives easy if it is the G5 that walks away.

So I just mentioned this in my previous post but why does it make it easier? I'm not saying it doesn't I just don't know rule or law is keeping the P5 from splitting if that's what they want to do. College football divisions have been redrawn in the past. Why can't that happen now?

Well, I don't see the G5 walking away under any circumstance. Here how it woulld make it easier is in two ways if G5 walked away.

1. To keep NCAA D1 basketball, the G5 would have to basically create a new lower subdivision and to keep basketball in the NCAA.

2. G5 splits off entirely which would be suicideal since that would be creating a new type of College Entity like the NAIA.

P5 would like either scenario which will never happen.

So do you think the AAC, C-USA, MAC, MWC, and Sun Belt would be allowed to create a subdivision between FBS and FCS and stay in the NCAA but the ACC, B1G, Big 12, Pac 12, and SEC wouldn't be allowed to create a higher subdivision and stay in the NCAA?

Is it a simple matter of all of the current FBS conferences having to be in agreement? If the AAC, C-USA etc decided to split, everyone would be in agreement. Where if the ACC etc decided to split we wouldn't agree to it?

I could see that being the case but again, if it is, why aren't our commissioners nutting up and pushing for more? If those conferences need our approval to create a higher subdivision, and we are all fairly certain that leaving the NCAA isn't something they want to do, then they are pretty much stuck. If we are risking basically nothing if we push for more, why are we not?

The commissioner of the AAC should have the interest of the AAC as his number one priority obviously. If there is a risk of worsening our position by championing our conference then I can see going along with things. If there is no risk then raise a stink. There are 5 conferences who are more or less happy with the way things are, and 5 who aren't (or shouldn't be). If it's a 5 on 5 fight why are we being left out in the cold? If the bylaws have it written down where those 5 conferences have more power, then I would think we are back in the same boat of collusion people were arguing we were in with the BCS.

I know that on paper it seems like a fair deal. A committee that picks the best 4 teams. There are no longer any written rules that obviously favor certain conferences over others. Surely, our commissioners can realize the SOS problem that we can't really fix that is going to make it nearly impossible for any of us to ever really be included right?

Note: I know you are an NC State fan so when I said we, I wasn't referring to you and me. You are part of "they". Just trying to be clear. Thanks for the civil discussion so far.04-cheers It is nice to hear the thoughts an opinions of a fan on the other side of this conversation. I'm sure if I was in your shoes I wouldn't give a rats arse about things changing.

While my Pack is get Beatch Slapped tonight congrats on your UCF win. The only problem is the Sun Bowl has an agreement with P12 and ACC for the next five years. Why CBS does not attempt to broadcast this game NYE or NYD is beyond me. I don't get why CBS does not try to broadcast it at least prime time during the week after Christmas. It would be interesting to see what the ratings would be.

I do think the AAC should have tried to get the Miami bowl carried by someone other than ESPN if they would be willing to show it after Christmas. I miss the days of bowls actually competing with each other on TV. Now if the game is a blowout, you have no option to switch to another game since the games are basically in sequential order on ESPN. Guess that is showing my age.

FWIW, if not for ECU Basketball. ECU would have been in the Big East years ago and probably would have been gone with WVU to the B12. If ECU can ever get the BBall to just be a NIT team every year, they would be a great B12 option to get into the NC/VA TB market. 04-cheers
03-12-2015 07:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.