Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big East message board
Bookmark and Share
SLUnatic Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: SLU
Big East message board
There's another BE board that you might want to visit where there's discussion and mods who do a good job - holylandofhoops . com
12-17-2014 09:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
RE: Big East message board
yea, we are all there. Been there for awhile.
12-17-2014 10:08 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
yeah it's a nice board except they believe in censorship. tough to have a debate when you want to make a point, and the moderator can determine that point doesn't get made. Thankfully this board isn't like that.
02-27-2015 10:29 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
id like to see this board get some life back
02-28-2015 10:33 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-28-2015 10:33 AM)gosports1 Wrote:  id like to see this board get some life back

I would too, but the problem is when it gets any life back, folks from the other board come here to basically snuff it out- and then all of a sudden the new people that were on here magically show up over on the other board.
02-28-2015 11:40 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

Just to give you an idea of how stupid the censorship over there has gotten...

When Bill Marsh was talking about Syracuse getting their big win this past week being so great for St John's.

I said that it really wasn't major at all because St John's opponents have played about 725 games. So that wouldn't be huge. What would be huge would be if Syracuse got in the top 50. I posted that at least 2x if not more, but how many times did it get approved? NONE.

Please any of the folks on there tell me how that is so offensive it shouldn't get posted. Or how it's unfair.
02-28-2015 11:47 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

Another one was when Bill Marsh challenged me criticizing him for saying Illinois has faded. I responded saying that a team that has faded isn't the 2nd team out. A team that has faded is like a Seton Hall who has no chance now. Did it get posted? Hell no. How is that unfair?

What blows my mind about that board is pretty much you have to be a cheerleader with rose colored glasses to be accepted over there. WTF?
02-28-2015 11:50 AM
hoops22 Offline
Banned

I Root For: big east
(02-28-2015 11:50 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Another one was when Bill Marsh challenged me criticizing him for saying Illinois has faded. I responded saying that a team that has faded isn't the 2nd team out. A team that has faded is like a Seton Hall who has no chance now. Did it get posted? Hell no. How is that unfair?

What blows my mind about that board is pretty much you have to be a cheerleader with rose colored glasses to be accepted over there. WTF?

Stever, I agree with you that too much censorship on a message board is not a good thing. And I also agree that the examples you cited above, don't seem so troubling, and should likely have been allowed. But the primary issue, as you know, is your relentless campaign to denigrate the league, every opportunity you get. It was unwelcome last year, when the league did in fact, suffer through a disappointing initial season. It became overkill, kicking someone in the teeth, when they were already down. And before this season began, you were already in midseason form, with plenty more predictions of doom and gloom.

But things turned out differently. The BE has been consistently rated the second best conference this year, by most measuring metrics. Yet still, you've continued with the usual pessimism. You consistently question the qualifications and success of certain BE teams, while consistently singing the praises of teams and conferences with nowhere near the same resume. It's gotten old. In a BE game involving what you perceive to be a bubble team, vs someone that's presumably in, if the bubble team loses, that's bad for the league because it might cost them a bid. But if the bubble team wins, that's also a negative, because the better teams seeding has been hurt. No matter who wins, it's a net negative for the league. Enough already.

The thing that's a shame about this, is you clearly love college basketball, and have a good deal of knowledge, and subsequently a lot to offer. But you can't go to a BE board, and deliberately look to undermine most of the teams, and get under the skin of those looking to simply engage in legitimate basketball discussions. When your focus is just to agitate people, you can't be surprised to find you're not always welcome. And you know as well as I do what I'm talking about. You're clearly not a fan of the league, and don't wish any of the teams well. Fine, you have every right to feel that way. But this agenda is transparent, and people are tired of the constant negative spin, to what has been a very successful season.

And finally, if you challenge me, I'm not interested in going back to look up what you said on certain days about certain teams, to prove my points. We both know the reality here. If you want to have people more receptive to your opinions, then try a little more balance in your posts. It's ok to criticize, when it's warranted, but also give credit when credit is due. The nonstop negative diatribe is tiresome. Besides, there are plenty of other people on the boards around here that already have that covered for you.
02-28-2015 11:26 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(02-28-2015 11:26 PM)hoops22 Wrote:  
(02-28-2015 11:50 AM)stever20 Wrote:  Another one was when Bill Marsh challenged me criticizing him for saying Illinois has faded. I responded saying that a team that has faded isn't the 2nd team out. A team that has faded is like a Seton Hall who has no chance now. Did it get posted? Hell no. How is that unfair?

Stever, I agree with you that too much censorship on a message board is not a good thing. And I also agree that the examples you cited above, don't seem so troubling, and should likely have been allowed. But the primary issue, as you know, is your relentless campaign to denigrate the league, every opportunity you get. It was unwelcome last year, when the league did in fact, suffer through a disappointing initial season. It became overkill, kicking someone in the teeth, when they were already down. And before this season began, you were already in midseason form, with plenty more predictions of doom and gloom.

But things turned out differently. The BE has been consistently rated the second best conference this year, by most measuring metrics. Yet still, you've continued with the usual pessimism. You consistently question the qualifications and success of certain BE teams, while consistently singing the praises of teams and conferences with nowhere near the same resume. It's gotten old. In a BE game involving what you perceive to be a bubble team, vs someone that's presumably in, if the bubble team loses, that's bad for the league because it might cost them a bid. But if the bubble team wins, that's also a negative, because the better teams seeding has been hurt. No matter who wins, it's a net negative for the league. Enough already.

The thing that's a shame about this, is you clearly love college basketball, and have a good deal of knowledge, and subsequently a lot to offer. But you can't go to a BE board, and deliberately look to undermine most of the teams, and get under the skin of those looking to simply engage in legitimate basketball discussions. When your focus is just to agitate people, you can't be surprised to find you're not always welcome. And you know as well as I do what I'm talking about. You're clearly not a fan of the league, and don't wish any of the teams well. Fine, you have every right to feel that way. But this agenda is transparent, and people are tired of the constant negative spin, to what has been a very successful season.

And finally, if you challenge me, I'm not interested in going back to look up what you said on certain days about certain teams, to prove my points. We both know the reality here. If you want to have people more receptive to your opinions, then try a little more balance in your posts. It's ok to criticize, when it's warranted, but also give credit when credit is due. The nonstop negative diatribe is tiresome. Besides, there are plenty of other people on the boards around here that already have that covered for you.
The thing is I have said good things that haven't gotten posted. I have said all along that Xavier needs to be at 19-13 to get in bare minimum because no 18-14 teams have gotten in the last 10+ years. I said it when Xavier wasn't considered as should be in back 4-5 weeks ago because they had a high number of losses back then. I'm sorry- but that's an absolutely fair statement. I'm sorry but no 18-12 team is a lock in my boat with 2 games to go because not many 18 win or 14 loss teams make the tourney with just 1 of those, and if Xavier has both- with as many bad losses as they have- it's really hard to see them in. Especially with what looks could be a 50+ RPI(they dropped to 39 after the game today).

I have given St John's credit because they have overcome a very difficult stretch and they are now a lock. It's awesome what they've done here in the last few weeks- something I really didn't think this St John's group had in them if you know what I mean. They have gone thru a stretch of Xavier 2x, Georgetown 2x, and Seton Hall once- and gone 4-1 in that. That's impressive. What I said a few weeks ago was that Florida and UConn had easier roads to go thru than St John's. I never once said that St John's was out(at least I don't think I did-maybe after the 2nd Butler loss- not sure). St John's did what they needed to do- and I'm extremely impressed.

One problem that folks have is they think a game between a team already in and a bubble team- that there is no negative to the game. Like today's game with St John's and Georgetown. St John's won so that's fine their stock increases. But Georgetown doesn't get punished? Of course our stock drops a bit. It's not a net negative, but then again, it's not a net positive either. It's a net zero. Let's take today's Xavier/Nova game. If Nova had lost, it's great for the league that Xavier clinches. But is that better for the league than the cost of Nova losing a possible 1 seed? I personally think it's better for the league for Nova to have won that game, even if Xavier doesn't make the tourney as a result. That's just me. But if Xavier had won- that does hurt Nova. Maybe I focus on the cost of the loss too much- but other folks on there don't want to even think there is a cost of the loss..

I say the AAC has a good chance to get 4 teams in because they have very good records, and the committee recently has shown a tendency to reward records moreso than teams like Xavier who are good, but have a poor record. It used to be back in the old 9 team big east that the committee did give spots to 17-15 teams even. But that just isn't the case now, for whatever reason(that's a story for another thread). Do I think Xavier is better than Tulsa? Yes. But do I think Tulsa has a better shot at the tourney if Xavier loses out? Yes- unquestionably. A much better shot. I don't think I'm hating on the Big East to say that.

One thing I did do as well was mention how Texas was in the same boat as Xavier with the losses. So I'm not just saying it's Xavier, I'm saying it's any team with as many losses as Xavier has. I say it about Texas, UCLA, Oklahoma St now.

And I do think I've been fair as well. Someone asked about Butler and PC should be locks and I was like well Butler needed 1 more win, but I thought PC was a lock at that point already because RPI forecast said that if they lost out their RPI was still around 50. If that's not balanced, I don't know what is. What I'm not going to do is say that Xavier is a lock right now, like others on there want to do, because they are absolutely NOT a lock. When someone on there yesterday said that a St John's win would clinch 6 bids- that to me is moronic because Xavier has not clinched. I've not said one bad word about Nova, Butler all year long(well maybe Butler preseason but once they got going nothing). Providence has done great- though I think Dunn is gone to the NBA. Georgetown is so weird. I think at times we rely too much on Josh Smith. today he was a complete non factor.
03-01-2015 03:11 AM
IceJus10 Offline
All American

I think threads promoting other boards are in bad taste and should be deleted... this sight should be about chatting here, not going elsewhere to chat.
03-01-2015 04:53 AM
trephin Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
Big East message board
There are plenty of other threads "in bad taste" that could use moderation so I think this should be left alone.

I think, stever, that you suffer from your early reputation / posts here in which I do think you were a bit harshly treated and now that colors everything else including posts elsewhere. But you also don't seem to understand how some of your posts will/can be interpreted negatively. It's not about homer-ism either.

Again I do think you are a victim of past posts which makes others more sensitive to you so if you want to change things then yes the criteria will be different for you.
03-01-2015 10:27 AM
Advertisement

MUAvalanche Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
I enjoy stever as is. We've debated and disagreed but its never been a personal attack on each other. I prefer it that way.

I also prefer this board to the other one, when it is up and running. Just can't get into that group for some reason.
03-02-2015 11:38 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(03-02-2015 11:38 AM)MUAvalanche Wrote:  I enjoy stever as is. We've debated and disagreed but its never been a personal attack on each other. I prefer it that way.

I also prefer this board to the other one, when it is up and running. Just can't get into that group for some reason.
I also much prefer the format of this board in terms of the actual message board.
03-02-2015 11:45 AM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

i didnt know they censored posts! i have seen people get overly defensive or angry when someone posts something viewed as negative. i understand that but every opinion should be heard, unless of course someone is just trying to cause problems.
i know you dont always have the most "pollyanna" view of things but you dont strike me as someone justr trying to cause problems
03-03-2015 07:24 PM
trephin Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
not everyone needs post approval. i can sometimes see why some posts are taken the wrong way, but again, stever likely is paying the price for past posts. whether intentionally "trying to cause problems" or not, his posts are now perceived to be as such.
03-03-2015 08:21 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

The thing is unless you are someone who posts stuff like that idiot who says that the Big East will fail because Fox leans so far right and folks won't watch as a result. That's totally trying to cause problems... I can see moderating something like that but other than that- nope. It's a message board.
03-03-2015 08:30 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

Guys I'm going to fess up. I created a 2nd account to try to "start fresh" over there. It was Hoyas. Well, that ass hat Novaball called me out- he of at least 2 accounts, and now that Hoya's account is moderated as well. Just thought you should know that. The original Ball was blocked so he's on his 2nd account as well(at least). What a joke.

At least here guys we don't have the Ball at all. Thank God.
04-15-2015 02:25 PM
MUAvalanche Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(04-15-2015 02:25 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Guys I'm going to fess up. I created a 2nd account to try to "start fresh" over there. It was Hoyas. Well, that ass hat Novaball called me out- he of at least 2 accounts, and now that Hoya's account is moderated as well. Just thought you should know that. The original Ball was blocked so he's on his 2nd account as well(at least). What a joke.

Saw that. Looks like debates are taken a little personally over there. Hope they mellow.
04-16-2015 01:53 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

(04-16-2015 01:53 PM)MUAvalanche Wrote:  
(04-15-2015 02:25 PM)stever20 Wrote:  Guys I'm going to fess up. I created a 2nd account to try to "start fresh" over there. It was Hoyas. Well, that ass hat Novaball called me out- he of at least 2 accounts, and now that Hoya's account is moderated as well. Just thought you should know that. The original Ball was blocked so he's on his 2nd account as well(at least). What a joke.

Saw that. Looks like debates are taken a little personally over there. Hope they mellow.

tryiing using a ST johns themed screen name. Maybe thta will help! 03-lmfao
04-16-2015 08:10 PM
MUAvalanche Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(04-16-2015 08:10 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  tryiing using a ST johns themed screen name. Maybe thta will help! 03-lmfao

I see Dayton, SLU, Richmond and VCU are represented. They need some pro Siena guys on the board. You could try that.
04-17-2015 08:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.