Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What Battle or Conflict Stands Out in History?
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: What Battle or Conflict Stands Out in History?
(07-23-2014 03:37 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  Getting back on topic... Where does the Turks conquering Constantinople and renaming it Islamabad rank? The fall of Constantinople led to the Europeans seeking a new trade route to China, which led to the discovery of America.

It also led to the Middle East becoming almost totally ignored by the West for almost 500 years, until oil was discovered there. Interesting to imagine how many of our current problems might have worked out differently without that.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2014 04:22 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
07-23-2014 04:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
(07-23-2014 04:20 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(07-23-2014 03:37 PM)ClairtonPanther Wrote:  Getting back on topic... Where does the Turks conquering Constantinople and renaming it Islamabad rank? The fall of Constantinople led to the Europeans seeking a new trade route to China, which led to the discovery of America.
It also led to the Middle East becoming almost totally ignored by the West for almost 500 years, until oil was discovered there. Interesting to imagine how many of our current problems might have worked out differently without that.
Imagine how different things would have worked out if the Christians hadn't persecuted all non-Christians. Islamic extremists are now following the same path, since it's the tried and true method.
07-23-2014 04:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(07-23-2014 04:28 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(07-23-2014 04:20 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
Imagine how different things would have worked out if the Christians hadn't persecuted all non-Christians. Islamic extremists are now following the same path, since it's the tried and true method.

Actually, as long as it was a greatly underpopulated backwater, the three religions appear to have gotten along quite well together. Many Arabs will insist that if the West had just stayed out, they could have worked it all out pretty well on their own.
07-23-2014 04:31 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Midway
07-25-2014 06:02 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
I don't know if it is considered a conflict or not...but...Temujin's (Genghis Khan's) conquests must rank up there pretty high in regard to military precision and death tolls. Khan was maybe the most fearless and ruthless leader in history. Dan Carlin does a great job of detailing his life in one of his 3 segment podcasts. Great listen if you have the time.
07-25-2014 02:53 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

China's first Emporer, Chin, drive to consolidate under his rule the 7 nations that became China was pretty bloody too.
07-25-2014 05:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(07-25-2014 05:00 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  China's first Emporer, Chin, drive to consolidate under his rule the 7 nations that became China was pretty bloody too.

I think Chin was one of Khans most bloody conquests. It may have been a later "Chin".
07-25-2014 09:32 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(07-25-2014 09:32 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(07-25-2014 05:00 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  China's first Emperor, Chin, drive to consolidate under his rule the 7 nations that became China was pretty bloody too.
I think Chin was one of Khans most bloody conquests. It may have been a later "Chin".
It was Abaka Khan you're thinking of. He was Emperor until the Mongols were overthrown. There was only one Chin, whom China is named for. He was the one who had the great wall built in an amazingly short period of time, considering the technology of the time, and a great many of the men who built the wall were buried within it.
07-26-2014 11:30 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(07-26-2014 11:30 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(07-25-2014 09:32 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(07-25-2014 05:00 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  China's first Emperor, Chin, drive to consolidate under his rule the 7 nations that became China was pretty bloody too.
It was Abaka Khan you're thinking of. He was Emperor until the Mongols were overthrown. There was only one Chin, whom China is named for. He was the one who had the great wall built in an amazingly short period of time, considering the technology of the time, and a great many of the men who built the wall were buried within it.

There was a Far Side cartoon of 2 guards standing on the Great Wall of China, with one saying to the other "NOW let's see if that dog can get in here". LOL
07-26-2014 11:19 PM
ODUsmitty Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
Not in the top 10, but the Battle of Kosovo, 1389,was a major determinent in the future of southern Europe. With the "stalemate" between the Ottoman Empire and Serbians, Ottoman rule in what is now Bosnia, Serbia, parts of Croatia, Albania, Macedonia, Montenegro, and parts of Greece was solidified.

THis part of Europe became an Ottoman backwater, and ramifications from this arrangement led directly to WWI (Franz Duke Ferdinand assassination), WW2 (Croats - Nazi, Serbs - Allied), and the more recent Balkan Wars. Kosovo and Albania remain as isolated and undeveloped as any part of Europe, with strong ethnic rivalries prevalent.

WOuld WW1 have not happened if Serbian and Ottoman violence never happened??
07-28-2014 12:29 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama

I didn't think it was renamed until more recently.
07-28-2014 11:16 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(07-28-2014 11:16 AM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  
Perhaps you're thinking of when it was renamed Istanbul.
07-28-2014 11:20 AM
UofM_Tiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tigers
(07-28-2014 11:20 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  

Right. Islamabad is the capital of Pakistan.
07-28-2014 03:02 PM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

(07-28-2014 03:02 PM)UofM_Tiger Wrote:  
(07-28-2014 11:20 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
Right. Islamabad is the capital of Pakistan.
Minor details. Right?
07-28-2014 03:26 PM
ClairtonPanther Offline
people need to wake up

I Root For: Pitt/Navy

Donators
Sh*t... my bad
(This post was last modified: 07-29-2014 12:13 PM by ClairtonPanther.)
07-29-2014 12:13 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
55 posts and Gettysburg hadn't been mentioned?

Had Lee won, I think England might have come out in support of the Confederacy and the Copperheads may have taken over in the North.

The 20th Maine saved the country.
12-11-2014 09:13 PM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Gettysburg was more of a tie. Just so happened to take place in Union territory.

Vicksburg, was a huge a much more significant issue and yet Gettysburg receives a lot of hoopla!
01-09-2015 03:25 PM
49RFootballNow Offline
He who walks without rhythm

I Root For: Charlotte 49ers
(01-09-2015 03:25 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  Gettysburg was more of a tie. Just so happened to take place in Union territory.

Vicksburg, was a huge a much more significant issue and yet Gettysburg receives a lot of hoopla!

Well, it was the largest single battle in history to take place in the western half of our planet; and we're lucky none bigger has occurred in this hemisphere. You are correct though; the loss of Vicksburg was a much worse loss than Gettysburg for the Confederacy.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 05:21 PM by 49RFootballNow.)
01-09-2015 05:20 PM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
What Battle or Conflict Stands Out in History?
(12-11-2014 09:13 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  55 posts and Gettysburg hadn't been mentioned?

Had Lee won, I think England might have come out in support of the Confederacy and the Copperheads may have taken over in the North.

No,.... Time and lack of resources allowed the Union Army to eventually wear down the CSA.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
01-12-2015 04:27 PM
UConn-SMU Offline
often wrong, never in doubt

I Root For: the AAC
(01-12-2015 04:27 PM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  
(12-11-2014 09:13 PM)UConn-SMU Wrote:  55 posts and Gettysburg hadn't been mentioned?

No,.... Time and lack of resources allowed the Union Army to eventually wear down the CSA.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

I've heard some credible people say the South may have won if the war was 10 years earlier. The 1850's was an economic boom time for the North. By the time the war started, NYC alone produced *four times* the manufactured goods than the entire South.
01-18-2015 11:32 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.