Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB- Fundraising for new stadium
Bookmark and Share
blazerwkr Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

BlazerTalk Award
RE: UAB- Fundraising for new stadium
Didn't the BOT also play the semantics game in that there was no money in the bank for the stadium & legally you can't actually have money in the bank for a project that isn't approved in the first place but we did have pledges for such a project which is the only legal thing that can be done not that they care about the legality in their workings.
06-11-2013 08:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
(06-11-2013 09:08 AM)Smaug Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 09:03 AM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 08:35 AM)Smaug Wrote:  UAB will have an on-campus stadium. A few high profile funerals will have to take place first, though.

How old are those that are preventing this from happening? How long realistically will they remain in a position to stop it?

That's a complicated question.

The UA Board of Trustees are limited by terms and age, unless of course they don't want to be.

See, they set their rules. They nominate replacement members, and are accountable only to God.

[Image: paul-bear-bryant11.jpg]

http://legalschnauzer.blogspot.com/2012/...crime.html

What ever happened with this?? Only a real sleaze would see it through
06-12-2013 10:37 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(06-11-2013 05:13 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  No, we're not going to take a player away that Nick Satan wants. We don't compete directly. It does not matter. Drown the baby before it grows.

If it had ever occurred to the board that UAB would start a Division 1 football team Gene Bartow would never have been allowed to start a basketball program.
Every word: Truth.
06-12-2013 11:00 PM
Hilltop1215 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: WKU, Michigan
(06-11-2013 08:35 AM)Smaug Wrote:  UAB will have an on-campus stadium. A few high profile funerals will have to take place first, though.

Do we need to start a fundraiser?05-mafia
06-12-2013 11:03 PM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(06-11-2013 05:40 PM)58-56 Wrote:  
Quote:If it had ever occurred to the board that UAB would start a Division 1 football team Gene Bartow would never have been allowed to start a basketball program.

Gene arrived while the Board was distracted by the federal prosecutions of Trustees Joe Fine and Gary Neal Drummond et al (racketeering involving sale of coal from university-system-owned land). Their conviction did not remove them from the Board (this is Alabama).

Had the Trustees not been scurrying to lay in supplies of soap-on-a-rope, there would be no UAB athletics. God Bless AG Griffin Bell and the U.S. Department of Justice.

I honestly don't understand how you all can live in such a backwards place. No offense intended.
06-12-2013 11:08 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(06-11-2013 05:40 PM)58-56 Wrote:  Had the Trustees not been scurrying to lay in supplies of soap-on-a-rope, there would be no UAB athletics. God Bless AG Griffin Bell and the U.S. Department of Justice.
Jimmy Carter's Attorney General was his one and only conservative-ish Cabinet-level selection, but a good one it was. Bell (1918-2009) was a federal judge appointed by JFK, a very high-profile private attorney in Atlanta, and a personal friend of Carter. He made a public, daily disclosure of all meetings/discussions he had while serving as Atty Genl for about 2-1/2 years. None of his successor AG's -- Democrat or Republican -- have done the same thing.

Some people openly complained when he furloughed John Mitchell (the former Atty Genl embroiled in the Watergate scandal) out of prison for 5 consecutive months to receive and recover from separate hip/back surgeries. I still remember the anger expressed by a lot of liberals over that. The vindictive rage they continued to express -- this was years after Nixon had resigned -- was a sight to behold. Good for Griffin Bell that he ignored it.
06-12-2013 11:14 PM
LR Eagle Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: USM
(06-11-2013 06:19 PM)bladhmadh Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 09:18 AM)Niner National Wrote:  I don't get why they care. Let's be realistic, UAB isn't going to take anything away from UA if the program grows. If it does, it will be PENNIES.

you fail to understand they want it all. they view any money donated to uab athletics as money that should have been donated to them. is someone buys a uab tshirt that should have been a bama shirt. the fifty dollar uab tag should have been a ua tag. they are that petty

Some of the more delusional Moo U and Old Mess fans feel the same way. They had a thread on their board a couple years ago where they were crying about those 30K fans we were stealing from them.
06-12-2013 11:40 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(06-12-2013 11:08 PM)blunderbuss Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 05:40 PM)58-56 Wrote:  
Quote:If it had ever occurred to the board that UAB would start a Division 1 football team Gene Bartow would never have been allowed to start a basketball program.

Gene arrived while the Board was distracted by the federal prosecutions of Trustees Joe Fine and Gary Neal Drummond et al (racketeering involving sale of coal from university-system-owned land). Their conviction did not remove them from the Board (this is Alabama).

Had the Trustees not been scurrying to lay in supplies of soap-on-a-rope, there would be no UAB athletics. God Bless AG Griffin Bell and the U.S. Department of Justice.

I honestly don't understand how you all can live in such a backwards place. No offense intended.

A friend once described UAB as "an island of light in a deep, dark swamp of stupid".
06-13-2013 06:56 AM
WinOrLoseEAGLE Offline
Banned

I Root For:

How old are those that are preventing this from happening? How long realistically will they remain in a position to stop it?

Bear died about 30 years ago and he's still got control of the State of Alabama. His son, Jr., is the current medium for this control. I don't know if Jr. begat a III, but if so the Bear will control Alabama for at least another 30 years into the future.
06-13-2013 07:30 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Ya know, when ETSU dropped football in 2003 a separate, non-affiliated with the university Not for profit foundation was formed. Up until we got a new university president, that group was ridiculed and not welcomed on campus (keep in mind this includes Ex-NFL guys and current Falcons coach Mike Smith). They held meetings monthly in the offices of Waste Management, literally at the trash dump. Every year they got together, they talked about money and who would give what when the time was right, they very well could've taken the money yearly and put it in the bank but the founder of it all didn't want to do that way (he had his reasons).
Today, ETSU has football again, next week, we'll have a coach (albeit an old one who's battling cancer, but a coach).
Point is, start a separate foundation, not an official part of UAB, but a not for profit group. Get your fans together in a non-affiliated with the university in an OFFICAL capacity kind of way. Raise the money separate from UAB, into a private trust that they, nor those little skidmarks in Tuscaloosa can touch. Once it's raised, tell them you've got the money, and the city wants a stadium too. A stadium that can potentially upgrade the bowl game, bring in outdoor concerts, and perhaps professional soccer. In short, work around them, you can't go through them. It took ETSU fans who wanted football a failed attempt in 2007 to realize that. That and the president retired which led to the athletic director getting shown the exit.
Channel the hate and anger for the Harvey Updyke's and Phyllis from Mulga types of the world towards getting done what you need.
Ya'll are smart down there, one of you has to either personally know or is an attorney to set all that up.
06-13-2013 10:04 AM
jag313 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: South Alabama
This is why I am so thankful USA is not a part of the UA system. For better or worse, we stand on our own. Sink or swim. This decision was made decades ago for this very reason.
06-13-2013 10:12 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
(06-12-2013 11:03 PM)Hilltop1215 Wrote:  

Do we need to start a fundraiser?05-mafia

03-lmfao thanks for the thought, though!
06-13-2013 10:16 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
We have over fifteen million set aside for it. Not sure where that number is today. Could / should be more.
06-13-2013 10:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-13-2013 07:30 AM)WinOrLoseEAGLE Wrote:  

Bear died about 30 years ago and he's still got control of the State of Alabama. His son, Jr., is the current medium for this control. I don't know if Jr. begat a III, but if so the Bear will control Alabama for at least another 30 years into the future.

Very strong likelihood there. They'll put Harvey Updyke on the board if it will serve to keep UAB at bay and "in its' place."
06-13-2013 10:18 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-13-2013 10:16 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  We have over fifteen million set aside for it. Not sure where that number is today. Could / should be more.

Not according to "Fess"...He claims he's yet to see a check for that amount. Maybe he meant that it wasn't made out to him directly, if you know what I mean. He/they are as corrupt and crooked as the days are long.
06-13-2013 10:20 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

UAB had a well-reasoned, well-presented, well-funded plan to submit to the UA Board of Trustees and they refused to consider it.

Never mind that state open-meeting laws were almost assuredly violated. That state AG owes his job to Cubby Bryant.
06-13-2013 10:22 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(06-13-2013 10:18 AM)Matrix Wrote:  
(06-13-2013 07:30 AM)WinOrLoseEAGLE Wrote:  

Very strong likelihood there. They'll put Harvey Updyke on the board if it will serve to keep UAB at bay and "in its' place."

You give them too much credit. They'd put Updyke on the board if it guaranteed them championships in addition to the 6,493 that they already claim.

Who cares that he couldn't spell UAB? He'd never have to.
06-13-2013 10:24 AM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
UAB needs to leave the UA system if they are not going to get any support going forward. You'll need to take that 15 mil and more than double it to get to the $55 mil that Tulane needed for Yulman. UAB should adopt Tulane's approach and build small while they try to create a fanbase.

UAB and Tulane have very similar needs looking into the future. As upset as I am that Tulane didn't take things seriously (either do it or shut it down) for a while, I am grateful that nobody is sitting over Tulane's head telling them what to do or not to do.
06-13-2013 10:39 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(06-13-2013 10:39 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  UAB needs to leave the UA system if they are not going to get any support going forward.

Not going to happen. We'd want to take our hospital with us, and that little honey generates about 75% of the UA system's revenue, dwarfing what that little football program at our rural western campus brings in.
06-13-2013 11:01 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
I speak for most traveling fans when I say I damn sure want UAB to get a new stadium, preferable on campus.
06-13-2013 11:06 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.