Biedenbach stepping down.
Bookmark and Share
fightingcamel2594 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Campbell
Biedenbach stepping down.
The local news in Asheville, NC reports that Eddie Biedenbach, men's head basketball coach at UNCA, is planning to resign. Thoughts?
04-02-2013 04:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

toley2345 Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Biedenbach stepping down.
(04-02-2013 04:22 PM)fightingcamel2594 Wrote:  The local news in Asheville, NC reports that Eddie Biedenbach, men's head basketball coach at UNCA, is planning to resign. Thoughts?

UNCW is getting a great coach.
04-02-2013 08:52 PM
Water Engineer

I'm just still surprised that the Big South's all-time men's basketball win leader is stepping down to take an assistant coaching job at UNCW. Albeit, I know he has a home there and ties to the school, and that UNCW is a bigger school. However, it is still a mid-major program and I know he and his family have always been fond of the Asheville area.
04-03-2013 12:01 AM
Advertisement

Statman101 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: N/A
Just goes to show all situations aren't just "sunshine and rainbows" even when they appear to be from the outside.

I figure this is a move toward retirement, but if this has been planned it would have been announced long before now. Something has happened that Eddie didn't like and thus forced his hand a little early I suppose.
04-03-2013 08:39 AM
toley2345 Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-03-2013 08:39 AM)Statman101 Wrote:  Just goes to show all situations aren't just "sunshine and rainbows" even when they appear to be from the outside.

I figure this is a move toward retirement, but if this has been planned it would have been announced long before now. Something has happened that Eddie didn't like and thus forced his hand a little early I suppose.

Great coach I am glad we do not have to go against him anymore. But I am sure UNCA will bring in a great replacement.
04-03-2013 09:43 AM
Advertisement

Water Engineer

Here is the report that was released to the local news from The Sports Network:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnfo...581718.htm

I agree that there was probably something that happened because I don't think it would be that easy to just walk away. However, he does say he's always wanted to coach at UNCW or NC State so I guess we'll never know.
04-03-2013 12:15 PM
Statman101 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: N/A
We'll he was an NC State assistant on two seperate occasions, so I still call shenanigans.

Asheville will more than likely hire an assistant if they continue to pay these numbers for a head coach!
•2008-09: $93,000
•2009-10: $97,000
•2010-11: $100,000
04-03-2013 12:41 PM
Advertisement

wufan Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Winthrop
Asheville operates on one of the smallest (if not smallest) athletic budgets in the country. The only thing that kept them respectable was Eddie. He's had some moderate success but he mostly finished in the middle of the pack in the Big South for the majority of his career. But that is an accomplishment with the resources UNCA has.

I think they will dive into the tank within the next few years unless they can find a diamond in the rough, but that is going to be hard with the package they will be able to offer. I don't think either of his assistants will be successful if that is the route they go.
04-03-2013 01:39 PM
Camel2004 Offline
Water Engineer

I saw that it is reported that he will make $130,000 at UNCW, which is a decent raise. He's also 67 years old. Sounds like a move toward a working retirement with a coaching friend in a location his family will enjoy. I don't think anything happened at UNCA.
04-03-2013 04:04 PM
Advertisement

fightingcamels2014 Offline
Water Engineer

Sounds like they're going to keep the job in-house and hire assistant/former player Nick McDevitt.

http://hoopdirt.com/blog/8b7b7ccf/daily-dirt-4-8-13/
04-08-2013 01:24 PM
Water Engineer

News conference today at 1 p.m. to announce new UNCA men's basketball head coach.
04-26-2013 09:07 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Geo Visitors Map
Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.