Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Newest Conference Rumor (2012-2020 Archive)
Bookmark and Share
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
RE: Newest Conference Rumor
so that is our path to getting a third CGD ... get into a G5 and get ranked - plus the storyline becomes "we love JMU and now look, they are succeeding at this level too"
10-16-2017 12:01 PM
Find all posts by this user
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
(10-16-2017 12:01 PM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  so that is our path to getting a third CGD ... get into a G5 and get ranked - plus the storyline becomes "we love JMU and now look, they are succeeding at this level too"

Yep, It’s more about the school and its success than it is FCS.

We were in competition with other schools (Miami?) this time too, and the argument that won the day was “why not go to JMU where we know it will be another great scene” - either Herbie or Rece put forward that argument. We are a proven location for them now.

If JMU was a top 25 ranked FBS playing another top 25, we’d have great odds of seeing gameday again. It comes down to winning.
10-16-2017 12:17 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

(10-16-2017 11:59 AM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  
(10-16-2017 10:46 AM)2Buck Wrote:  
(10-16-2017 08:38 AM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  JMUNation is spot on.

Also, "GameDay is here again because JMU is JMU" is only half true - if that. GameDay was here because JMU is JMU AND we're FCS AND a ton of other people lost. We're here because we're a fantastic FCS team and we got incredibly incredibly lucky - twice. The sheer number of games that had to line up is ridiculous. However, no non-P5 team is getting GameDay unless they're on a 20-game win streak or something. ODU, App St, Marshall...all of our actual peers in FBS...will NEVER have GameDay. EVER. Even if JMU moves straight up to the AAC, unless we're on another giant win streak and are playing a ranked team, we'll never have GameDay as an FBS team. It just won't happen. They either do ranked vs. ranked, P5 rivalry games, or their once a year novelty game on an off-week (which was us now, but not us once we move up).

GameDay would have gone to Red River if JMU wasn't JMU, and proven what we can do on GameDay. Not because we're FCS, because we're JMU. The interviews were all about "JMU great", "JMU special"... not "We want FCS champ", "We want #1 FCS team".

NDSU is the only other FCS team they'd pass on that game for and because YSU lost it fell to us. Don't kid yourself, if Richmond or Sam Houston State were #1 they would have gone to Red River.

So you're seriously telling me that you think if we were in the Sunbelt and played in some no-name bowl last year they would have chosen us over even a lackluster Red River Rivalry? No. Absolutely not. I agree they wouldn't have gone to RU or SHSU, but they just aren't going to visit a G5 school. An FCS champ JMU is 10x more attractive than a G5 JMU. The only way we would have gotten it as a G5 team is to be undefeated and ranked in the top 15 by the 2nd to last game of the season. Just ask SDSU.

Went back and skimmed through past locations... All P5 other than JMU (twice), NDSU (twice), Harvard (obvious draw), Army/Navy (duh), Western Michigan (last year - ranked #14), and Houston (2011 - ranked #11).

Never said they'd go to us as unranked G5. Stating that they didn't pick YSU because they're #3 or preferred over us, they picked it because w/ NDSU it was more compelling even than us as #1. NDSU sold that game. My point being it's because of who we are that we were chosen over FBS options that no other FCS team (other than NDSU) would have gotten.

What ever luck/alignment of the stars exposed us to ESPN happened. They (and many across the country) now have a glimpse of what many of us have known for decades. JMU is a special place and capable of amazing things if the right energy and leadership bring it to bear.

Perhaps I'm delusional, but if any of you feel that JMU is limited to the heights of ODU, Marshall, EastWestOzarkBlibbetyBloop State College, or whatever other disparate example you keep bring up... then we didn't attend the same school. Or worse yet, it's not the same school.
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2017 12:46 PM by 2Buck.)
10-16-2017 12:34 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
^ yes... tough to say "JMU is so special" and "JMU should stay put" in the same sentence ... we're better than the examples people keep bringing up
10-16-2017 12:37 PM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(10-16-2017 12:34 PM)2Buck Wrote:  

Also, "GameDay is here again because JMU is JMU" is only half true - if that. GameDay was here because JMU is JMU AND we're FCS AND a ton of other people lost. We're here because we're a fantastic FCS team and we got incredibly incredibly lucky - twice. The sheer number of games that had to line up is ridiculous. However, no non-P5 team is getting GameDay unless they're on a 20-game win streak or something. ODU, App St, Marshall...all of our actual peers in FBS...will NEVER have GameDay. EVER. Even if JMU moves straight up to the AAC, unless we're on another giant win streak and are playing a ranked team, we'll never have GameDay as an FBS team. It just won't happen. They either do ranked vs. ranked, P5 rivalry games, or their once a year novelty game on an off-week (which was us now, but not us once we move up).

GameDay would have gone to Red River if JMU wasn't JMU, and proven what we can do on GameDay. Not because we're FCS, because we're JMU. The interviews were all about "JMU great", "JMU special"... not "We want FCS champ", "We want #1 FCS team".

NDSU is the only other FCS team they'd pass on that game for and because YSU lost it fell to us. Don't kid yourself, if Richmond or Sam Houston State were #1 they would have gone to Red River.

So you're seriously telling me that you think if we were in the Sunbelt and played in some no-name bowl last year they would have chosen us over even a lackluster Red River Rivalry? No. Absolutely not. I agree they wouldn't have gone to RU or SHSU, but they just aren't going to visit a G5 school. An FCS champ JMU is 10x more attractive than a G5 JMU. The only way we would have gotten it as a G5 team is to be undefeated and ranked in the top 15 by the 2nd to last game of the season. Just ask SDSU.

Went back and skimmed through past locations... All P5 other than JMU (twice), NDSU (twice), Harvard (obvious draw), Army/Navy (duh), Western Michigan (last year - ranked #14), and Houston (2011 - ranked #11).

Never said they'd go to us as unranked G5. Stating that they didn't pick YSU because they're #3 or preferred over us, they picked it because w/ NDSU it was more compelling even than us as #1. NDSU sold that game. My point being it's because of who we are that we were chosen over FBS options that no other FCS team (other than NDSU) wouldn't have gotten.

What ever luck/alignment of the stars exposed us to ESPN happened. They (and many across the country) now have a glimpse of what many of us have known for decades. JMU is a special place and capable of amazing things if the right energy and leadership bring it to bear.

Perhaps I'm delusional, but if any of you feel that JMU is limited to the heights of ODU, Marshall, EastWestOzarkBlibbetyBloop State College, or whatever other disparate example you keep bring up... then we didn't attend the same school. Or worse yet, it's not the same school.

you keep saying this, and i agree. the problem is, the P5 has lowered those heights for us relative to where they are going.

they keep moving higher and higher while everyone else stays in place and moves higher at a significantly lower pace.

the gap between the two is widening. it will never shrink.

the days of Boise State's cracking the cartel are over. Done. Finished. Never coming back.
10-16-2017 12:39 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

(10-16-2017 12:39 PM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  
(10-16-2017 12:34 PM)2Buck Wrote:  

Never said they'd go to us as unranked G5. Stating that they didn't pick YSU because they're #3 or preferred over us, they picked it because w/ NDSU it was more compelling even than us as #1. NDSU sold that game. My point being it's because of who we are that we were chosen over FBS options that no other FCS team (other than NDSU) wouldn't have gotten.

you keep saying this, and i agree. the problem is, the P5 has lowered those heights for us relative to where they are going.

they keep moving higher and higher while everyone else stays in place and moves higher at a significantly lower pace.

the gap between the two is widening. it will never shrink.

the days of Boise State's cracking the cartel are over. Done. Finished. Never coming back.

I agree as well. I'm not saying we're ever going P5. What I'm saying is we need to shoot for the top of the second tier (AAC/Top MW/BYU/Army/etc). Add to that hosting P5s at a completed BFS, national media coverage, etc.

No one knows for sure what's going to happen but even if bottom G5 merges with "top FCS" that will become the new third tier. Those schools I mentioned won't. Maybe they're joined by Northwestern, Berkeley, Boston College, Wake Forest, Kansas, Kentucky, and all the other weaker P5 football schools that won't make a deal with the devil.

Who knows? But I rather start working my way to hitching our wagon to the AAC rather than waiting to be joined by a windfall of Ga States and F_Us.
10-16-2017 12:57 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
I can't believe I am about to
10-20-2017 11:32 AM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
ABOUT TO WHAT?????
10-20-2017 12:44 PM
JMU_Degenerate Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUUUUKES
(10-20-2017 12:44 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  ABOUT TO WHAT?????

Maybe he was about to say that JMU might actually be better off in the FCS and his head exploded before he could finish typing the words out.
10-20-2017 01:03 PM
JMUsince89 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
Was over on the AAC conference chat board, saw a thread that USF had the longest winnng streak going at 7 wins. Imentioned to them JMU had a 17 game winning steak and in fact we had the longest winning streak in D1 football. It didnt go over to well with AAC fans. Also told them JMU was 2 -0 against AAC teams. One poster said he didnt think any FBS team wanted to play JMU at this point. Just a FYI thing. We are being talked about in other conferences now.
10-20-2017 01:13 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

(10-20-2017 01:03 PM)JMU_Degenerate Wrote:  

Maybe he was about to say that JMU might actually be better off in the FCS and his head exploded before he could finish typing the words out.

I think that JMU has made good decisions. I think Bourne has been right.*

I will take down the Barn Fife picture.

* This is 100% assuming JMU/Bourne are ready and willing to leave the CAA when the time is right... I am getting close to believing this to be the case.
10-20-2017 02:17 PM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
(10-20-2017 01:13 PM)JMUsince89 Wrote:  Was over on the AAC conference chat board, saw a thread that USF had the longest winnng streak going at 7 wins. Imentioned to them JMU had a 17 game winning steak and in fact we had the longest winning streak in D1 football. It didnt go over to well with AAC fans. Also told them JMU was 2 -0 against AAC teams. One poster said he didnt think any FBS team wanted to play JMU at this point. Just a FYI thing. We are being talked about in other conferences now.

Does it count when you're the one going over there starting the conversation?
10-20-2017 02:29 PM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

(10-20-2017 02:17 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  

* This is 100% assuming JMU/Bourne are ready and willing to leave the CAA when the time is right... I am getting close to believing this to be the case.

Hell hath frozen over.
10-20-2017 03:27 PM
TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

Believe it, or not, if I didn't 100% believe that Jeff Bourne felt that way I would have been beating the drum of concern just as loudly as you have been.
10-20-2017 04:21 PM
JMUrcc06 Offline
1st String

(10-20-2017 02:29 PM)JMU08 Wrote:  
(10-20-2017 01:13 PM)JMUsince89 Wrote:  Was over on the AAC conference chat board, saw a thread that USF had the longest winnng streak going at 7 wins. Imentioned to them JMU had a 17 game winning steak and in fact we had the longest winning streak in D1 football. It didnt go over to well with AAC fans. Also told them JMU was 2 -0 against AAC teams. One poster said he didnt think any FBS team wanted to play JMU at this point. Just a FYI thing. We are being talked about in other conferences now.

Does it count when you're the one going over there starting the conversation?

If nothing else, I wish we were in the AAC for the conference talk. Geeze, CAA conference talk only has 2 new threads since June and one of those is a Drexel dude just now realizing the CAA isn't doing or getting $#IT for TV this year... obviously, with good reason, he missed the CAA Football lack of announcement, can't blame the guy for just getting caught up.
10-20-2017 04:40 PM
JMUsince89 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
Yep AAC, MAC, and CUSA Conference Talk is pretty active lots of good reading over on those.
10-20-2017 04:45 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

(10-20-2017 04:21 PM)TXGiant Wrote:  

Believe it, or not, if I didn't 100% believe that Jeff Bourne felt that way I would have been beating the drum of concern just as loudly as you have been.

Bourne was never the one I'm concerned about.
10-20-2017 09:33 PM
TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

(10-20-2017 09:33 PM)2Buck Wrote:  
(10-20-2017 04:21 PM)TXGiant Wrote:  

Bourne was never the one I'm concerned about.

I hear you loud and clear!
10-21-2017 07:33 AM
JMUNation Offline
All American

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! The apocalypse is coming everyone. This is a day that will go down in JMU sports history.04-jawdrop
10-21-2017 07:35 AM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I will lose it if there is any kind of G5 shuffling and JMU is not loudly in the middle of it...until then, may as well enjoy what we have which could be a lot worse...(we will be dealing with Houston leaving soon).

That is all.
10-21-2017 01:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.