Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Here come the Big East expansion rumors
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville

Bottom line is Memphis would be very foolish to stay in CUSA, which is a doomed conference,
11-21-2004 07:48 PM
Find all posts by this user
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:How can the BE offer any guarentees at all? Are the basketball-only schools sold on this split? Actually looking at some of the A-10 schools makes me a little more enthusiastic about using them as a temporary basketball home. But we would be walking away from alot of cash (conf. b-ball tourney hosts, built up ncaa credits, entrance/exit fees) and going to split conferences (yuck). There are reasons to take such an opportunity and reasons not to. We'd have to see what the coaches and boosters think. But nothing can happen unless the BE can give a reasonable assurance (just one step below a contractual guarentee) that an all-sport invite would come by a specific year.

-- It really doesn't matter what the bball onlys think of the idea....the BE football schools agreed to stay in the league for 5 yrs.....and in exchange if the schools that play football do go...they can leave without paying exit fees

-- If Memphis or ECU were to make such a jump...they would have to get assurances from the football schools that a split is coming in 2010....One of the advantages of Army and Navy is that they would need no such assurances and the 16 team like would have a better chance of survival

Jackson
11-21-2004 09:10 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

Quote:I think it would be win-win. Who knows if this would be a possibility but Memphis' AD RC Johnson has let it be known he is talking to BCS conferences, particularly the SEC and the Big East. He pretty much admitted that the SEC is out of the question

Memphis has wanted in the SEC for going on 40 years now...if they haven't taken us yet...they arn't gonna...trust me we have tried MANY times.

if Memphis was offerd football only with all sports in 3-5 RC would say yes...he is not stupid...but we will just have to see.

Go Tigers!!!
Drew
11-21-2004 09:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
L-yes Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Cat's_Claw Wrote:
tigers1985 Wrote:How can the BE offer any guarentees at all? Are the basketball-only schools sold on this split? Actually looking at some of the A-10 schools makes me a little more enthusiastic about using them as a temporary basketball home.  But we would be walking away from alot of cash (conf. b-ball tourney hosts, built up ncaa credits, entrance/exit fees) and going to split conferences (yuck).  There are reasons to take such an opportunity and reasons not to.  We'd have to see what the coaches and boosters think.  But nothing can happen unless the BE can give a reasonable assurance (just one step below a contractual guarentee) that an all-sport invite would come by a specific year.

That's my take on it anyway.  I'm slowly coming around to the idea.
The Big East stated that they will evaluate the setup every 5 years. That could mean that it could go on for the next 20 years with the current setup, but it just sounds like a cover to me for the BE. Saying you're going to split without saying you're going to split.
The 8 programs per side assure that when the split occurs in 5 seasons each side has an NCAA auto bid in hand. It also allows for stability in transition in the aftermath of expansion. The BCS bid is retained under the Big East flag, had a new conference formed as the football members broke away all agreements between the Big East and the BCS would have been null and void. The football Big East needs this time to catch its breath and get its feet under it. Notre Dame is still an option and is still in the mix partially because of their relationship with many of the Catholic bball schools. I'm sure administrators of candidate schools anywhere would be informed and understand the situation completely. This would be an outstanding deal for anyone on the outside looking in. IMO we are quickly approaching a time when final alignments will be established and the system will become firmly entrenched. Comments out of the BCS concerning “no more than 7 auto-bids
11-21-2004 10:23 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

[quote]IMO we are quickly approaching a time when final alignments will be established and the system will become firmly entrenched. Comments out of the BCS concerning “no more than 7 auto-bids
11-21-2004 10:37 PM
JMSTiger Offline
Just More Stats

I Root For: Memphis

DonatorsMemphis Hall of Fame

[quote="Jackson1011"] [quote]IMO we are quickly approaching a time when final alignments will be established and the system will become firmly entrenched. Comments out of the BCS concerning “no more than 7 auto-bids
11-22-2004 03:39 AM
RIVER CITY PIRATE Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: East Carolina

Temple is out and not coming back. Throw in Marshall and I think you have a good league.
11-22-2004 09:00 AM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

JMSTiger Wrote:That's the one I keep promoting for a 12 school all-sports EAC.  You could have the following divisions for football only and go without divisions for all other sports:

Eastern Athletic Conference
**North Division**
Connecticut
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
West Virginia

**South Division**
Central Florida
Cincinnati
East Carolina
Louisville
Memphis
South Florida
So basically, the North would be the old Big East and the South would be the old C-USA. 03-wink
11-23-2004 01:06 AM
Murph1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn

RIVER CITY PIRATE Wrote:Temple is out and not coming back.  Throw in Marshall and I think you have a good league.
Marshall is more 'south' than Cincy is. You'd have to adjust the proposed divisions. 03-wink

Wow, just thinking about it, Marshall would really be out on an Island all by themselves in C-USA if that proposed 'EAC' above came to fruition.
11-23-2004 01:32 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:Temple is out and not coming back. Throw in Marshall and I think you have a good league.

-- I don't know about that...I think football will be fine for that league...but the bball to me looks a bit top heavy....I can see Temple being added for bball depth and its huge market...not to mention the fact that if Temple is added all the traditional rivals will play each other...the old eastern indys are together and the old CUSA schools are together....Marsahll has no history at all with any team in the proposed league

Jackson
11-23-2004 06:44 AM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators

JMSTiger Wrote:[QUOTE=Jackson1011,Nov 21 2004, 09:43 PM]
Eastern Athletic Conference
**North Division**
Connecticut
Pittsburgh
Rutgers
Syracuse
Temple
West Virginia

**South Division**
Central Florida
Cincinnati
East Carolina
Louisville
Memphis
South Florida
Personally I think the North Division would be the better division (quite a bit better, IMO). I'd rather UC play Pittsburgh, WVU, and Syracuse every year than Central Florida, East Carolina, and South Florida.

I just don't see Central Florida ever being that great of a team, and East Carolina seems to have lost their recruiting trails. I'd rather see Marshall, Miami (OH), BGSU... hell, most of the MAC over Central Florida and East Carolina.
11-23-2004 08:26 AM
AlEast Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCF,Army

I don't think there is any reason for concern with any of the florida schools. UCF for example is making a HUGE commitment to athletics and it will happen. It has been a very bad year, transitional year, but UCF has the highest payroll for the coaching staff from all the Florida schools. The commitment is there and the university will be a 50k student body before the end of the decade. They are located nicely for the years to come. BTW, basketball is not that bad either.
11-23-2004 10:26 AM
Ty-Bull Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

UCF will be allowed into the Big East with USFs approval about the same time that Marshall is allowed into the Big East with the approval of West Virginia University. Or about the same time as Uranus aligns with OOOHHHH nevermind. I am sure that you are getting the picture.
11-23-2004 03:21 PM
AlEast Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCF,Army

Are you saying you have it under good authority that USF will not support the inclusion of UCF?
11-23-2004 10:49 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,

Quote:... and their facilities need help...but they are in the footprint.

Have you seen our facilities?

You just lost credibility w/ that statement :bang: :mad:

NOW....

If ECU goes for football only, we had better have assurances/contract to join for all sports at some point--if not--well _________

We have seen how split conference affiliations have panned out...they don't...

Why doesn't hte BE BBALL onlys and hte A-10 hook up together and let the BE

have:
Pitt
SU
WVU
Rutgers
UCon
UC
ECU
Memphis
and 2 that are TBD.....

for an all sport conference?

IT makes too much sense so that means it won't happen 03-wink
11-23-2004 10:57 PM
Psicosis Offline
Remain in Light

I Root For: Memphis

Crappies

Quote:Why doesn't hte BE BBALL onlys and hte A-10 hook up together and let the BE

have:
Pitt
SU
WVU
Rutgers
UCon
UC
ECU
Memphis
and 2 that are TBD.....

for an all sport conference?
Someday, man... someday.
11-24-2004 12:58 AM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:

Quote:UCF will be allowed into the Big East with USFs approval about the same time that Marshall is allowed into the Big East with the approval of West Virginia University. Or about the same time as Uranus aligns with OOOHHHH nevermind. I am sure that you are getting the picture.

--Ok....how bout this....remember that we are working with the assumption that the MWC has been given a automatic BCS birth and the BCS has required each conference recieving automatice bids to have 12 teams

EAC North
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Navy
Uconn
Rutgers
Army

EAC South
West Virginia
Louisville
Memphis
UC
USF
East Carolina

-- Of course...Army and Navy would be for football only....the nice thing about that is that bball won't be deluted too much with additions such as Southern Miss, UCF or Marshall

-- The only problem I can see with this is trying to convince West Virginia to play in the division opposite its traditional rivals (although WVU does have some history with ECU especially..but also with UC and Louisville)....WVU would probably demand that the Pitt game be played annually even though it is a not divisional game

Jackson
11-24-2004 08:50 AM
Ty-Bull Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

--Ok....how bout this....remember that we are working with the assumption that the MWC has been given a automatic BCS birth and the BCS has required each conference recieving automatice bids to have 12 teams

EAC North
Pittsburgh
Syracuse
Navy
Uconn
Rutgers
Army

EAC South
West Virginia
Louisville
Memphis
UC
USF
East Carolina

-- Of course...Army and Navy would be for football only....the nice thing about that is that bball won't be deluted too much with additions such as Southern Miss, UCF or Marshall

-- The only problem I can see with this is trying to convince West Virginia to play in the division opposite its traditional rivals (although WVU does have some history with ECU especially..but also with UC and Louisville)....WVU would probably demand that the Pitt game be played annually even though it is a not divisional game

Jackson

Looks Good to me........

NO! I do not have it on official USF that they would not support ucfs inclusion. Just watching the athletic department, the assumption would be that USF wants all of central Florida for it's "footprint"... JMHO....
11-24-2004 10:59 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.