Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
RE: La Tech fan speaks for Cajuns, Troy, stAte
(03-04-2012 05:29 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(03-04-2012 04:23 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(03-04-2012 03:47 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  
(03-02-2012 06:17 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(03-02-2012 06:03 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I really think some of the UNT and FIU Alliance hopefuls miss the point.

When it comes to UNT and the Alliance, I get wanting to be with Tulsa and Rice. Those names hold some value, selling a change in connection with a new coach and a new stadium makes sense.

With FIU, the Alliance offers no high value names that are going to send fans flocking in. What does provide is an opportunity to differentiate the program from FAU.

But none of that means the Alliance will be more stable. I think there are many reasons to believe the Alliance will be collapse prone. It is a complete mess, an idea hatched first to get a BCS AQ, that ship has sailed. Then it was about a mega TV deal that would make it a viable alternative to the Big East, with the departures of Houston, SMU, Boise, San Diego, UCF, and Memphis, that ship has sunk. Now the whole TV thing is still being touted but it is simply ridiculous to believe that a 16-24 team mess will produce the sort of per team dollars that CUSA and MWC produced when Houston, SMU, Boise, San Diego, UCF, and Memphis were members. That won't happen.

Now its a goofy mess that really has one true reason to exist. The schools in the Mountain, Pacific and Hawaiian time zones have run out of new member material. Counting UTEP there are only 13 FBS schools not in the Pac-12, Big East or committed to independence. The western schools need the Alliance to avoid being forced to call upon Idaho or New Mexico State to survive or heading into the Central time zone. CUSA since its inception in 1995 has lost 12 members (8 football playing, 11 basketball). Their brand is shot to hell outside Sun Belt and eastern WAC cities where there is still interest in participation. This deal is about creating a new brand and new start.

The Alliance won't last. Eventually it will collapse and when that happens the Sun Belt will be gone as well as new eastern and western leagues emerge to occupy the space once occupied by the MWC/WAC and Sun Belt/CUSA.

Any Sun Belt program invited into the alliance would still be in a good situtation, even if the new conference failed. The Eastern division would just reform as a regional conference. I don't see fear of the new conference collapsing, as a selling point for staying in the Sun Belt.

UNT yes. Any Sun Belt program no. If the alliance fails this is what will happen. And I will factor in a possibility of Louisville and Cincy in the Big 12.

MWC. (pretty solid regional conference)
1.Rice
2.UTEP.
3.UNT
4.Tulsa
5.New Mexico
6.Wyoming
7.Hawaii
8.USM
9.Tulane
10.Fresno
11.Air Force/San Jose
12.Nevada
13.UNLV/Utah St
14. Colorado St

Conference USA would be
1.Marshall
2.UAB
3. FIU
4. La Tech/ECU (If ECU doesn't get a Big East invite which will have votes of former members)
5. ???
6.???
7.???
8.???
9.???
10.???
11.???
12.???
13. ESPN lawsuit renewed

Nobody knows what will happen. You are just speculating, and I don't believe your vision of realignment is very likely.

Your right, no one knows that will happen, but every expert on the planet is admitting its on very shaky ground. Does UNT really want to take that risk?

I've never been scared to take a chance. If the rumors are true and an invite is extended, UNT will take the risk.

Personally, I think Benson running the Sun Belt is a shaky proposition. I don't trust that dude.
03-04-2012 06:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lolly Popp Offline
Magically Delicious

I Root For: Football
North Texas going to MWCUSA makes sense for them as Tulsa and Rice will be nearby, along with UTEP or Tulane, depending on how the two divisions are configured. The rest of the Sun Belt should sit tight with a nice regional footprint and a bigger TV contract once Texas State, UTSA, Louisiana Tech, and a 14th basketball school are added. Your schools have been building toward this moment for a long time and should not get antsy just before the fruits of all that labor become ripe.

As for Karl Benson, I think he will be different in the Sun Belt, as opposed to the WAC. He never had a sensible conference in that league but did okay when he was running the MAC. The day he was hired by the WAC, the 10 presidents voted to expand to 16, sowing the seeds for what followed. Benson tried to go to 12 with Utah State and New Mexico State in 2001 but was allegedly backstabbed by UTEP among others. He took several risks and made some errors but hopefully learned.
03-05-2012 09:10 PM
Fanof49ASU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(03-05-2012 09:10 PM)Lolly Popp Wrote:  As for Karl Benson, I think he will be different in the Sun Belt, as opposed to the WAC. He never had a sensible conference in that league but did okay when he was running the MAC. The day he was hired by the WAC, the 10 presidents voted to expand to 16, sowing the seeds for what followed. Benson tried to go to 12 with Utah State and New Mexico State in 2001 but was allegedly backstabbed by UTEP among others. He took several risks and made some errors but hopefully learned.

That's a fair point about Benson. He saw the inevitable, but there was nothing anyone could do to change the ending.
03-05-2012 09:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.