Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Temple to the Big East in all sports ?
Bookmark and Share
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
RE: Temple to the Big East in all sports ?
Temple to the Big East, Boise to wait until 2014 to make the move.

When is this rediculous merger suppose to happen anyway???
02-22-2012 08:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
KingKong Offline
2nd String

I Root For: ECU
(02-22-2012 08:03 PM)Usajags Wrote:  Temple to the Big East, Boise to wait until 2014 to make the move.

When is this rediculous merger suppose to happen anyway???

Kind of gets ridiculous, doesn't it? Probably good that Temple is going on to the BE. Would have probably only been in the conference a few months then moved anyway.
Cannot believe that the Alliance might be considering Georgia State or Charlotte for the conference, if they are. What good is TV market is you have no strong support in the cities schools are located in? They probably should just move on to the BE also. What the heck is this world coming to.
02-22-2012 08:39 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
If Temple goes to the Big East, I think that makes it much more likely at least 2 Sun Belt programs move to the alliance. Philly is the 4th largest market in the country. I think it makes it even more important that the alliance add large markets. LA Tech's chances just got reduced even more. UNT (5th) and FIU (16th) probably got a bump from Temple passing on the alliance. ECU Marshall, and some S. Miss won't want to believe it, but it makes much more sense than adding most of the FCS programs they want; not because it would be best for the alliance, but because they have no teams in their region. Things are getting interesting.
02-22-2012 08:51 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
What gets me is that the fans on the CUSA board redicules the SBC because our teams are not marque teams, and that we are just a vessel for teams to get from IAA to IA, yet then they say they, CUSA, should add ODU, UNCC, and yes, even GaSt.
02-22-2012 08:54 PM
BirdofParadise Offline
1st String

I Root For:
RE: Temple tp the Big East in all sporrts ?
(02-22-2012 03:30 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  
(02-22-2012 03:07 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  This is both true and not true. Troy is 50 minutes from two major cities Dothan/Montgomery and both have direct flights to Florida.

Used Expedia for these figure

I picked a date of arrival Octboer 26th and departure October 27th of this year for a mythical ECU vs FAU game. Figure a 1/2 hour bus ride at $1,000. I found over 30 flights in price range from 400-500 from Greensboro to FLL. Travel time a lil over 3 hours. All on large planes. I didnt bother to check WPB or MIA, but Im sure there were another 60 flight available between those 2.

On the same date for a ECU vs Troy game. Figure 1 hour bus ride @ $2,000 (twice the distance of FAU so twice the cost)I found about 20 flights from 375-600. Lowest travel time was 4:45 minutes and were on puddle jumpers with only about 20 rows each.

Now for olympic sports its even more cost effective because you work in a FAU and FIU game on for the same flight, plus one extra bus trip.

I know BoP is a reporter and I would love to hear from him about which one is easier and more cost effective to travel too. This is not a dis on Troy, please dont read it that way. It is just easier to fly into a large Metro area which both FAU and FIU are in.

Well, I don't fly to Montgomery. I drive when we go to Troy and it's about 6.5 hours.

I can say as a rule of thumb, it's cheaper to fly into larger cities than smaller ones, although I find flying to FLL is usually cheaper than MIA.

For me, I don't see the sense in flying from Lafayette to Houston or Atlanta and then to Montgomery and then driving an hour to Troy. I can get in the car and make it in the same amount of time.
02-23-2012 03:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.