Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: ECU AD discusses merger (good listen
Bookmark and Share
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
OT: ECU AD discusses merger (good listen
A few quick points:

-ECU's AD says that they've never had more than 400 visiting fans from an opponent in CUSA. This includes the vaunted traveling fan base of Marshall.

-He says he wants to take the Pirate football stadium up to 60,000 seats but that is nearly impossible to do playing a Crap USA home schedule.

-He would love to get ECU into the SEC and even talked to the Big XII about pairing with West Virginia but thinks Louisville will end up with that spot.

-The Big East is now more geographically challenging than the conference ECU is now in, as strange as it may seem. He likes the idea of the merger and playing in one solid division of schools rather than rotating divisional opponents to build rivalries.

-He thinks the merger will still end up 20 or 24 teams, maybe beyond. He likes the idea of adding more schools that play in the Eastern Timezone.

http://www.790thezone.com/instantreplay/...x?PID=1773
02-09-2012 01:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
RE: OT: ECU AD discusses merger (good listen
(02-09-2012 01:43 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  A few quick points:

-ECU's AD says that they've never had more than 400 visiting fans from an opponent in CUSA. This includes the vaunted traveling fan base of Marshall.

-He says he wants to take the Pirate football stadium up to 60,000 seats but that is nearly impossible to do playing a Crap USA home schedule.

-He would love to get ECU into the SEC and even talked to the Big XII about pairing with West Virginia but thinks Louisville will end up with that spot.

-The Big East is now more geographically challenging than the conference ECU is now in, as strange as it may seem. He likes the idea of the merger and playing in one solid division of schools rather than rotating divisional opponents to build rivalries.

-He thinks the merger will still end up 20 or 24 teams, maybe beyond. He likes the idea of adding more schools that play in the Eastern Timezone.

Dump CUSA and look toward SBC.
02-09-2012 01:52 PM
MUsince96 Online
All American

I Root For: Marshall
C-USA & MWC will merge. The teams from the MAC, Sun Belt, and FCS with the biggest budgets, markets, fanbases and potential for growth will be added.

That's my guess.
02-09-2012 01:55 PM
Bull_In_Exile Offline
Eternal Pessimist

I Root For: The Underdog

Any institution that joins a 24 team merger (they are talking a whole conference at this point) needs to take their AD and president behind the woodshed and beat some sense into them.

24 teams is an insane number of hoops squads and a Bat$h!t crazy number of teams for football teams.

CUSA needs to do the smart thing and raid the WAC (so as not to piss off the MWC) and then maybe set up a scheduling agreement with the MWC to strengthen their profile.
02-09-2012 01:56 PM
Owls Head Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple Owls
(02-09-2012 01:55 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  C-USA & MWC will merge. The teams from the MAC, Sun Belt, and FCS with the biggest budgets, markets, fanbases and potential for growth will be added.

That's my guess.

MUsince96 -- Is this where you see Temple?
02-09-2012 01:59 PM
Louis Kitton Offline
Heisman

I Root For: High Fashion
From the sounds of it everything is on the table at this point.

CUSA and MWC were about to sign off on the merger and Memphis contacted the Big East at the last second to see if they were interested before the agreement was finalized.

Now that has left CUSA and MWC spinning as many AD's on both sides want to just reload their conference rather than toy around with a super conference full of small market mid major teams.
02-09-2012 02:02 PM
Advertisement

MUsince96 Online
All American

(02-09-2012 01:59 PM)Owls Head Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 01:55 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  C-USA & MWC will merge. The teams from the MAC, Sun Belt, and FCS with the biggest budgets, markets, fanbases and potential for growth will be added.

That's my guess.

MUsince96 -- Is this where you see Temple?

Honestly I don't know Owl. I don't see you all joining for all sports unless we landed a TV deal that Temple just couldn't turn down moneywise. And I don't know if The Alliance would want Temple for football only, unless it was to balance the way Hawaii is football only in the West.

I do know that our AD indicated this afternoon at a luncheon the merger is on.
02-09-2012 02:05 PM
DrTorch Offline

That's my guess.

And it's a stupid one since CUSA has nothing to offer and MWC is too far.

My guess is UAB, ECU and Marshall go to SBC begging for entry (with Troy holding a lot of clout).

Meanwhile, Rice and Tulane have to decide whether they team w/ the likes of La Tech, or suck up travel costs.

UNT is in an awkward spot in all of this. They fit well w/ Tulsa and UTEP.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 02:07 PM by DrTorch.)
02-09-2012 02:06 PM
MUsince96 Online
All American

I would really like to see Ohio, Temple, and Old Dominion from FCS make the move up. They sell 16K season tickets with a waiting list of more. Have a budget of 30M and have a good market. IMO they are a sleeping giant.
02-09-2012 02:08 PM
MUsince96 Online
All American

(02-09-2012 02:06 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  

That's my guess.

My guess is UAB, ECU and Marshall go to SBC begging for entry (with Troy holding a lot of clout).

Meanwhile, Rice and Tulane have to decide whether they team w/ the likes of La Tech, or suck up travel costs.

C-USA & MWC will merge. The teams we want to add will be added. Except Temple, they are the wildcard that can do what they want.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 02:10 PM by MUsince96.)
02-09-2012 02:09 PM
DrTorch Offline

(02-09-2012 02:09 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  

That's my guess.

C-USA & MWC will merge. The teams we want to add will be added. Except Temple, they are the wildcard that can do what they want.

Oh that shell game. Typical. How about identifying the teams that CUSA "wants to add" before the fact?

Better yet, why not take your drivel back the board it belongs on.
02-09-2012 02:13 PM
Advertisement

MUsince96 Online
All American

(02-09-2012 02:13 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(02-09-2012 02:09 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  

That's my guess.

Oh that shell game. Typical. How about identifying the teams that CUSA "wants to add" before the fact?

Better yet, why not take your drivel back the board it belongs on.

I know for a fact Ohio, Temple, and FIU are on the immediate list of teams C-USA is interested in.

As for Bowling Green, don't worry, I think you're safe.

As for my drivel, you can stop replying at any time. 03-wink
02-09-2012 02:24 PM
Owls Head Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Temple Owls
DrTorch why are you giving MUsince96 a hard time, seems like a well meaning, informed poster... very courteous
02-09-2012 02:34 PM
Howl-n-Prowl Away
Three SDs above the mean

I Root For: Los NIU Huskies
(02-09-2012 01:43 PM)Louis Kitton Wrote:  -ECU's AD says that they've never had more than 400 visiting fans from an opponent in CUSA. This includes the vaunted traveling fan base of Marshall.

Ankle monitors will have that effect.
02-09-2012 02:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrTorch Offline

(02-09-2012 02:34 PM)Owls Head Wrote:  DrTorch why are you giving MUsince96 a hard time, seems like a well meaning, informed poster... very courteous

I guess we disagree. He's a typical marshall poster IMO. Self absorbed, antognistic and extremely ignorant.
02-09-2012 02:36 PM
DrTorch Offline

(02-09-2012 02:24 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  As for Bowling Green, don't worry, I think you're safe.

As for my drivel, you can stop replying at any time. 03-wink

It's not my replies that are the problem. Fly on home now.
02-09-2012 02:38 PM
Advertisement

MUsince96 Online
All American

(02-09-2012 02:34 PM)Owls Head Wrote:  DrTorch why are you giving MUsince96 a hard time, seems like a well meaning, informed poster... very courteous

A lot of MAC posters have always hated Marshall Owl, we would probably be having a normal conversation if I didn't have a Marshall avatar.

But he and a few others have had a hard-on for me since I posed a question yesterday asking if any MAC teams would be willing to break away from the MAC or if they all wanted to stay together.
02-09-2012 02:51 PM
DrTorch Offline

(02-09-2012 02:51 PM)MUsince96 Wrote:  

A lot of MAC posters have always hated Marshall Owl, we would probably be having a normal conversation if I didn't have a Marshall avatar.

Alas no. I don't like stupid people from anywhere. Now you're upset b/c you're not even special.
02-09-2012 03:03 PM
DrTorch Offline

(02-09-2012 01:56 PM)Bull_In_Exile Wrote:  

Any institution that joins a 24 team merger (they are talking a whole conference at this point) needs to take their AD and president behind the woodshed and beat some sense into them.

24 teams is an insane number of hoops squads and a Bat$h!t crazy number of teams for football teams.

CUSA needs to do the smart thing and raid the WAC (so as not to piss off the MWC) and then maybe set up a scheduling agreement with the MWC to strengthen their profile.

Agreed, 24 teams is a mess.

ECU, Marshall and UAB ought to approach the SBC for membership, w/ this proposition:

ECU gets to host the conf football championship game for some minimum number of years...UAB hosts the men's basketball championship for some minimum number of years.

As complimentary of the SBC as I have been, they've made the mistake of getting big w/ members of varying participation. They need to negotiate w/ MWC to take Denver (which shouldn't be too bad). UALR and USA are problems for their future growth.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2012 03:10 PM by DrTorch.)
02-09-2012 03:09 PM
MUsince96 Online
All American

LOL. I know it sucks being on the outside looking in when it comes to this conference realignment stuff. The Big East doesn't want us and nobody wants Bowling Green.

Quick run and give me another negative karma point lmao.
02-09-2012 03:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.