Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Joe Paterno, 85, dies in State College
Bookmark and Share
Polish Hammer Offline
King of all Dukes

I Root For: Kent State/James Madison
RE: Joe Paterno, 85, dies in State College
(07-16-2012 09:24 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  Mike McQuerry is taking a beating on the rodio.
MM acted like 98% of all people do, panic, sacred, can't believe it & not knowing what to do.
MM was already aware of coverup was in place by the school, FB program, police & DA office.
He went to the one person he could trust, his father.
They both went to the top & reported it.
because if anybody was gonna do something it was Paterno
Paterno lied to them.

And Joepa told MM "you did what you had to do. It's my job now to think what we want to do."

Really??? You need to to think what you want? After already knowing his priors? And then you even admit you didn't want to spoil their weekend by notifying them until the following week.
07-16-2012 04:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(07-16-2012 09:24 AM)templefootballfan Wrote:  Mike McQuerry is taking a beating on the rodio.
MM acted like 98% of all people do, panic, sacred, can't believe it & not knowing what to do.
MM was already aware of coverup was in place by the school, FB program, police & DA office.
He went to the one person he could trust, his father.
They both went to the top & reported it.
because if anybody was gonna do something it was Paterno
Paterno lied to them.

I really believe there is a more simple answer: the cops probably told him to keep quiet b/c there was an on-going investigation, and if he went public it could jeopardize it.

What else could he do?
07-16-2012 06:19 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
PPS interview with the NCAA president...

NCAA president Mark Emmert has not ruled out drastically punishing Penn State football in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...penn-state
07-17-2012 07:35 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Dear DrTorch,
I don't understand how going public with information that would help the investigation, would jeopardize it? Maybe some more information on this.
07-17-2012 08:43 AM
Campbell4President Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
(07-17-2012 07:35 AM)HuskieJohn Wrote:  PPS interview with the NCAA president...

NCAA president Mark Emmert has not ruled out drastically punishing Penn State football in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/stor...penn-state

It blows my mind that some people are saying that the NCAA will have to and should stay out of it. Lives were allowed to be ruined for the security of the football program. I don't see any reason that the NCAA shouldn't be involved.
07-18-2012 01:47 AM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
(07-16-2012 12:03 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  
(01-22-2012 07:00 PM)conaire Wrote:  
(01-22-2012 06:00 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  Have you people lost your minds? If this happened in your work place would you glorify the former employee the way you are Joe Paterno? Look past the football and see that he had a HUGE character issue.

We were warned u were coming. U have no clue what happened as Paterno is concerned. Sandusky and the BOT is completely different

Connie? Where are you?

Given the things he said, you're probably going to have to hunt him down when he posts in other threads with links to this one which he'll ignore.
07-18-2012 08:08 AM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
(07-18-2012 08:08 AM)bronconick Wrote:  
(07-16-2012 12:03 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  
(01-22-2012 07:00 PM)conaire Wrote:  
(01-22-2012 06:00 PM)Big_Man Wrote:  Have you people lost your minds? If this happened in your work place would you glorify the former employee the way you are Joe Paterno? Look past the football and see that he had a HUGE character issue.

We were warned u were coming. U have no clue what happened as Paterno is concerned. Sandusky and the BOT is completely different

Connie? Where are you?

Given the things he said, you're probably going to have to hunt him down when he posts in other threads with links to this one which he'll ignore.

I won't hunt him down. His silence is all I need.
07-18-2012 12:43 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
More over-reaction to the PSU issue.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120...re-coaches

P.S. the PSU case as bad as it is, is NOT about 'unfair advantage' which is what the NCAA is essentially about. By unfair advantage: paying recruits, other recruiting violations, academic fraud, practice time violations (see EMU women under deposed coach Gilbert), etc.

These are things which give one school an 'unfair advantage'.

There is no unfair advantage being raised in the PSU case.

Sounds mostly a criminal/civil issue which should be handled by the DA and plantiff attorneys in civil cases.
07-19-2012 10:44 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(07-19-2012 10:44 AM)emu steve Wrote:  More over-reaction to the PSU issue.

P.S. the PSU case as bad as it is, is NOT about 'unfair advantage' which is what the NCAA is essentially about. By unfair advantage: paying recruits, other recruiting violations, academic fraud, practice time violations (see EMU women under deposed coach Gilbert), etc.

Sounds mostly a criminal/civil issue which should be handled by the DA and plantiff attorneys in civil cases.

Arguably the failure to report allowed PSU to maintain staff that may have been fired or charged with crimes had they reported. The allegations of a former coach being a pedophile might have affected recruiting. Why would Paterno and others NOT report this and pursue it to the fullest unless they felt it would adversely affect the program? The coverup may have given an advantage to Penn State over a school that did the right thing, reported and faced the consequences.
07-19-2012 11:21 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(07-19-2012 11:21 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

Arguably the failure to report allowed PSU to maintain staff that may have been fired or charged with crimes had they reported. The allegations of a former coach being a pedophile might have affected recruiting. Why would Paterno and others NOT report this and pursue it to the fullest unless they felt it would adversely affect the program? The coverup may have given an advantage to Penn State over a school that did the right thing, reported and faced the consequences.

Little bit of a stretch. Sandusky would have been replaced by another competent coordinator.

It isn't like hockey were a player is sent to the penalty box for 2 minutes of short handed play.
07-19-2012 11:25 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(07-19-2012 11:25 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Little bit of a stretch.

Granted, but again-why not do the right thing if NOT doing it isn't perceived to be advantageous?
07-19-2012 12:12 PM
DrTorch Offline
Proved mach and GTS to be liars

I Root For: ASU, BGSU
CrappiesDonatorsBalance of Power Contest
(07-19-2012 11:25 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Little bit of a stretch. Sandusky would have been replaced by another competent coordinator.

Regardless, having a pedophile on your staff affects recruiting. It is doing so right now, and that's a decade after the fact. So QED.
07-19-2012 07:37 PM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Dear emu steve,
It may be a stretch about recruiting advantage, (the reason for keeping the Sandusky thing under cover) but I have to agree with some of the other comments here. Here's another thought on the violation possibilities; what if the coaching staff was paid to keep all of this quiet? Regardless of the supposed way this should fit into specific NCAA regulations, I still feel they deserve the death penalty for what happened.
07-20-2012 09:40 AM
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
Knowingly using university/athletic facilities for immoral and illegal activity should cover it I think...
07-20-2012 11:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.