I Root For: TOLEDO ROCKETS
NCAA looking to cut FB scholarships
01-14-2012 08:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

letsgoblue Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Toledo
RE: NCAA looking to cut FB scholarships
I would like it if they cut scholarships from 85 to 80. Means better players end up playing in the MAC.
01-14-2012 08:59 AM
eastisbest Offline
All American

Basically they are saying, bring fewer kids to college on scholarship so they can pay more to those that are here, correct? Bleh to that trickle down.

I think before rooting that one on, I'd spend some time going over the last few years of recruiting to estimate, which recruits we would have gotten (or lost or not recruited that turned out to be good gets) versus other programs. Off the top of my head, MAYBE that QB that ended up at OSU?

The JC transfers that helped out probably would not be here as we wouldn't have had room.

It's not seeming an easy formula to me.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2012 09:20 AM by eastisbest.)
01-14-2012 09:20 AM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

(01-14-2012 09:20 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  Basically they are saying, bring fewer kids to college on scholarship so they can pay more to those that are here, correct? Bleh to that trickle down.

I think before rooting that one on, I'd spend some time going over the last few years of recruiting to estimate, which recruits we would have gotten (or lost or not recruited that turned out to be good gets) versus other programs. Off the top of my head, MAYBE that QB that ended up at OSU?

The JC transfers that helped out probably would not be here as we wouldn't have had room.

I'm sure Toledo would have still brought in the JC's and not offered a few other guys that were at the bottom of the class.
01-14-2012 10:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Carolina Rocket Offline
Token fat guy

Meh.. The NFL seems to put out a pretty good product with 53 men per side. I've always thought 264 kids on the sideline with duplicate numbers was a bit hokey anyhow.

Think about it, any scholarship reductions sends better players to the non-AQ's. We should love this.
01-14-2012 11:21 AM
1952 rocket Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: toledo rockets
(01-14-2012 11:21 AM)Carolina Rocket Wrote:  Meh.. The NFL seems to put out a pretty good product with 53 men per side. I've always thought 264 kids on the sideline with duplicate numbers was a bit hokey anyhow.

Think about it, any scholarship reductions sends better players to the non-AQ's. We should love this.

i remember way back when there were only 55 scholies offered ,seemed to be sufficient.
01-14-2012 11:33 AM
FORT MEIGS ROCKET Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UT BLUE & GOLD
(01-14-2012 11:33 AM)1952 rocket Wrote:  
(01-14-2012 11:21 AM)Carolina Rocket Wrote:  Meh.. The NFL seems to put out a pretty good product with 53 men per side. I've always thought 264 kids on the sideline with duplicate numbers was a bit hokey anyhow.

i remember way back when there were only 55 scholies offered ,seemed to be sufficient.

Fiftyfive would be a tad low... But a reduction to maybe 75 or 70 scholarships would be doable... The trickle down effect to a school like Toledo would be substantial, and ultimately level the playing field with the talent being spread around...
01-14-2012 11:50 AM

eastisbest Offline
All American

(01-14-2012 10:14 AM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  
(01-14-2012 09:20 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  Basically they are saying, bring fewer kids to college on scholarship so they can pay more to those that are here, correct? Bleh to that trickle down.

I'm sure Toledo would have still brought in the JC's and not offered a few other guys that were at the bottom of the class.

Would there be other positives besides trickle down recruiting? With the fewer scholarships, would schools be able to reinstitute some men's programs, like wrestling?
01-14-2012 12:10 PM
BrianNowicki Offline
All American

(01-14-2012 12:10 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  
(01-14-2012 10:14 AM)BrianNowicki Wrote:  

Would there be other positives besides trickle down recruiting? With the fewer scholarships, would schools be able to reinstitute some men's programs, like wrestling?

It's sure possible, yes.
01-14-2012 12:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Terry Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Rockets
(01-14-2012 08:59 AM)letsgoblue Wrote:  I would like it if they cut scholarships from 85 to 80. Means better players end up playing in the MAC.

I could care less about the MAC 03-puke ...I'm a Toledo Fan!!!!!04-rock
01-14-2012 03:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2014 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.