Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Question
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Question
Most of you guys aren't completely unhinged so I think I can ask this without anyone going bat$#it crazy.
Why doesn't Belmont, in an effort to increase community/student attendance for non-Boulevard games provide pre-game/post game entertainment? Given the music reputation and the four zillion musicians in this town, why not have different types of postgame shows? The thought being kind of what Middle Tennessee did for awhile doing postgame shows after football games.
I guess in short my thought is this, if Vince Gill is such a fan, then why wouldn't he, and possibly Amy Grant each pick one NON-LIPSCOMB game and set up for a postgame concert, one that in order to see fans must have a ticket and be at the game before halftime. And if not those two, what about other potential acts?
01-03-2012 04:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SNIURB06 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Belmont
RE: Question
(01-03-2012 04:40 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Most of you guys aren't completely unhinged so I think I can ask this without anyone going bat$#it crazy.
Why doesn't Belmont, in an effort to increase community/student attendance for non-Boulevard games provide pre-game/post game entertainment? Given the music reputation and the four zillion musicians in this town, why not have different types of postgame shows? The thought being kind of what Middle Tennessee did for awhile doing postgame shows after football games.
I guess in short my thought is this, if Vince Gill is such a fan, then why wouldn't he, and possibly Amy Grant each pick one NON-LIPSCOMB game and set up for a postgame concert, one that in order to see fans must have a ticket and be at the game before halftime. And if not those two, what about other potential acts?

They've done it in the past. I think Mikeschair (a Christian band who are all Belmont grads, and frankly, the last thing I would want to see after a college basketball game...) played the last time they did it. The cold hard fact is, there are so many BETTER shows to see than a Belmont post-game concert. Vince would definitely fill it up, but I doubt he would do it. Also, Belmont is very strict on content, so most acts worth seeing wouldn't be allowed to play. No one (especially snobby Belmont students, like I used to be) would stick around to see some artist or band after a basketball game when they could go anywhere in town and likely hear something better. Point being that a "musical act" is not an incentive in Nashville, because we are overrun with them.

However, I think that if they got Gürth Broox to start playing halftime sets, attendance would increase tenfold... 04-rock
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 07:54 PM by SNIURB06.)
01-03-2012 07:46 PM
TennTexBruin Offline
Water Engineer

(01-03-2012 07:46 PM)SNIURB06 Wrote:  
(01-03-2012 04:40 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  Most of you guys aren't completely unhinged so I think I can ask this without anyone going bat$#it crazy.

They've done it in the past. I think Mikeschair (a Christian band who are all Belmont grads, and frankly, the last thing I would want to see after a college basketball game...) played the last time they did it. The cold hard fact is, there are so many BETTER shows to see than a Belmont post-game concert. Vince would definitely fill it up, but I doubt he would do it. Also, Belmont is very strict on content, so most acts worth seeing wouldn't be allowed to play. No one (especially snobby Belmont students, like I used to be) would stick around to see some artist or band after a basketball game when they could go anywhere in town and likely hear something better. Point being that a "musical act" is not an incentive in Nashville, because we are overrun with them.

However, I think that if they got Gürth Broox to start playing halftime sets, attendance would increase tenfold... 04-rock

B-Lover, put this question in the box with "what is the meaning of life?" and "where do babies come from?" -- it has no answer.

Belmont athletics does everything in it's power to separate itself from the Belmont music scene.

I appreciate the fact that you think most of us aren't unhinged. Did you really think that question would offend us? I think the vast majority of people on this forum have at one time or another taken great pains to increase student interest/involvement to virtually no avail. Thankfully, we have a good basketball team and they create a lot more interest than frat boys in sweater vests...a fine and respectable tradition.
01-03-2012 10:49 PM
ByrdIsTheWord Offline
Water Engineer

There are a few reasons that I can point out that Belmont doesn't draw the crowd that I wish it would.

1. As Sniurb alluded to, there are a lot of other things to do in Nashville. It's not a question of "do I stay home or go to the Belmont game?" There's Vanderbilt, there's professional hockey, there's plenty of music, and a ton of other things to draw people away from a mid-major team's basketball game.

2. The obvious fact that there are a ton of music kids that go to the school that don't know and don't care to know the first thing about any sport. This doesn't describe all music kids (it also describes a lot of the non-music kids that just suck at doing fun things), but it is a part of the problem.

There are a few other reasons to point out, but I think the only thing that will change it (like TennTex said) is the basketball team itself. Playing in the OVC may help to an extent. If for no other reason, just to draw a decent crowd from the opponent schools.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Belmont take a shot at trying what you mentioned, but I think that it would do little to nothing to help get people in seats. I guess you'd never know unless you tried it though (and a little-known Christian band doesn't count).
01-04-2012 12:29 PM
Bruin2002 Offline
Special Teams

I was actually impressed with the Marshall crowd between Christmas and New Years. Without the students, we do good to get 700 at a game. We topped 2,000 with the Marshall game. They brought quite a few fans which helped, but it was still a nice crowd for us.
01-04-2012 08:35 PM
Advertisement

james john
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
There is a lot of questions according to ideas and thoughts so we will be a best direction accomplish and determine a best direction in life.
01-10-2012 01:09 AM
Quote this message in a reply
SNIURB06 Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-10-2012 01:09 AM)james john Wrote:  There is a lot of questions according to ideas and thoughts so we will be a best direction accomplish and determine a best direction in life.

Said it all man, you said it all...
01-10-2012 01:44 AM
OrangeCamel Offline

I Root For: Campbell
(01-10-2012 01:44 AM)SNIURB06 Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 01:09 AM)james john Wrote:  There is a lot of questions according to ideas and thoughts so we will be a best direction accomplish and determine a best direction in life.

Belmont fans and Campbell fans are so blessed to receive "James John's" wisdom. For more deep thoughts, check out our board.
01-10-2012 09:00 AM
Bruin2002 Offline
Special Teams

(01-10-2012 09:00 AM)OrangeCamel Wrote:  
(01-10-2012 01:44 AM)SNIURB06 Wrote:  

Belmont fans and Campbell fans are so blessed to receive "James John's" wisdom. For more deep thoughts, check out our board.

Orange, I went over to your board for fun (oh, and wisdom) and see that you are surely blessed as we are.
01-10-2012 08:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.