Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Name Help
Bookmark and Share
exflash Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Cajuns
Name Help
Well I was just wondering how many of this board caught the SDSU vs. Lafayette LEOPARDS promo on ESPN----Well the entire nation saw it and was a true embarrassment to our school and certainly to our conference----Not the first time and has happened with various networks----PLEASE from now on refer to us as UL, LOUISIANA, or LOUISIANA Ragin' Cajuns!!!!! A time when we could have hit a home run for all of us we get this crap-----Help the conference and identify with a much more prestigious name for our school!!!!!
12-20-2011 06:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
RE: Name Help
I would hope you guys would know by now...just refer to your school like you want to. Some of us will and others will never do it. If you continue to use Louisiana a lot of people will. If you keep hammering hammering hammering most will just dig in their heels and say no.
12-20-2011 07:18 PM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
(12-20-2011 07:18 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  I would hope you guys would know by now...just refer to your school like you want to. Some of us will and others will never do it. If you continue to use Louisiana a lot of people will. If you keep hammering hammering hammering most will just dig in their heels and say no.
Agreed!
12-20-2011 07:22 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
I will tell you, if we ever play you guys here I will personally lead the fight to make sure the GaDome marquee says vs. Louisiana. Count on it.
12-20-2011 07:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LouisianaHawkFan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ULM, Tulane
(12-20-2011 06:07 PM)exflash Wrote:  Well I was just wondering how many of this board caught the SDSU vs. Lafayette LEOPARDS promo on ESPN----Well the entire nation saw it and was a true embarrassment to our school and certainly to our conference----Not the first time and has happened with various networks----PLEASE from now on refer to us as UL, LOUISIANA, or LOUISIANA Ragin' Cajuns!!!!! A time when we could have hit a home run for all of us we get this crap-----Help the conference and identify with a much more prestigious name for our school!!!!!

I like Lafayette .....has a ring to it!
12-20-2011 08:18 PM
ntmeangreen11 Offline
Banned

I Root For:
ESPN using the wrong logo: Embarrassing on their part
Cajuns behavior regarding the name issue this past week: Embarrassing on their part
12-20-2011 08:44 PM
Advertisement

Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
I will refer to your school by it's name, University of Louisiana at Layafette. The University of Louisiana system includes the University of Louisiana at Monroe, what happens when they decide they want to be called "University of Louisiana" or "UL"???
12-20-2011 09:00 PM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
(12-20-2011 09:00 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I will refer to your school by it's name, University of Louisiana at Layafette. The University of Louisiana system includes the University of Louisiana at Monroe, what happens when they decide they want to be called "University of Louisiana" or "UL"???

You should refer to the school by its name, especially when discussing academics.

But what we are really talking about is athletic branding.

The school in Monroe has branded itself ULM and will not brand itself differently.

We'd prefer to brand as Louisiana or Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns. We do not want to brand as ULL.

If you can't or won't honor our branding request, then please refer to our brand as "Cajuns".

That's about as simply and non-argumentative as I can state it.
12-20-2011 09:05 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

And this is as simple as I can say this, your brand is your school. Without your school you have no athletic teams.
12-20-2011 09:32 PM
Ole Blue Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Good Guys
(12-20-2011 09:05 PM)AstroCajun Wrote:  
(12-20-2011 09:00 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I will refer to your school by it's name, University of Louisiana at Layafette. The University of Louisiana system includes the University of Louisiana at Monroe, what happens when they decide they want to be called "University of Louisiana" or "UL"???

You should refer to the school by its name, especially when discussing academics.

The school in Monroe has branded itself ULM and will not brand itself differently.

We'd prefer to brand as Louisiana or Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns. We do not want to brand as ULL.

If you can't or won't honor our branding request, then please refer to our brand as "Cajuns".

Agreed. I refer to ULM as ULM - it's apparent that's what they prefer. The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is referred to as UL, Louisiana, or Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns. There are just certain people and organizations that refuse to be accurate with identification (ESPN). Whether it's placing the Lafayette Leopards logo instead of Louisiana or calling Middle MTU, they're a bit off in terms of SBC accuracy.

(12-20-2011 09:32 PM)Usajags Wrote:  And this is as simple as I can say this, your brand is your school. Without your school you have no athletic teams.

Exactly. The school's website is "www.louisiana.edu" and they are The University of Louisiana (see their logo). ULM's is "www.ulm.edu" and they are ULM (see their logo). You don't see Alabama being referred to as "UAT", because that's not how they're branded. They are, in fact, the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, but people don't call them that often. There are plenty of other UA institutions in different cities labelled as UAH, UAB, etc.
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2011 09:41 PM by Ole Blue.)
12-20-2011 09:35 PM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-20-2011 09:32 PM)Usajags Wrote:  And this is as simple as I can say this, your brand is your school. Without your school you have no athletic teams.

Then go tell the folks at California-Berkeley to stop branding athletics as Cal.

Good day, sir.
12-20-2011 09:40 PM
Advertisement

MeanGreenFan123 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: North Texas
I like calling ULL "Louisiana." The only thing is no one ever knows who I'm talking about. But I will continue to call ULL "Louisiana" for the good of the conference.
12-20-2011 09:45 PM
RaiderATO Offline
Puddin' Stick

I Root For: MiddleTennessee
(12-20-2011 09:35 PM)mtsufan561 Wrote:  The school's website is "www.louisiana.edu" and they are The University of Louisiana (see their logo).

It's also ULL.edu

See their logo...

[Image: logobig.jpg]

[Image: bottom.jpg]

[Image: ULhorz.223x75.png]

05-stirthepot
12-20-2011 09:55 PM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

Can we just drop this whole damn mess? I appreciate everyone who calls us what we request to be called, but seriously guys enough is enough.

With that being sad I think all Cajun fans would prefer to be called Louisiana.
12-20-2011 10:06 PM
Lafitte the Pirate Offline
2nd String

(12-20-2011 08:18 PM)LouisianaHawkFan Wrote:  
(12-20-2011 06:07 PM)exflash Wrote:  Well I was just wondering how many of this board caught the SDSU vs. Lafayette LEOPARDS promo on ESPN----Well the entire nation saw it and was a true embarrassment to our school and certainly to our conference----Not the first time and has happened with various networks----PLEASE from now on refer to us as UL, LOUISIANA, or LOUISIANA Ragin' Cajuns!!!!! A time when we could have hit a home run for all of us we get this crap-----Help the conference and identify with a much more prestigious name for our school!!!!!

I like Lafayette .....has a ring to it!

You also like being an idiot. It suits you!!
12-20-2011 10:16 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I love how sensitive you guys are about this issue. 03-weeping

And living in Alabama, alot of people do refer to Alabama as UAT.
12-20-2011 10:21 PM
Advertisement

cajunhawk Offline
Banned

(12-20-2011 10:21 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I love how sensitive you guys are about this issue. 03-weeping

Only in a derogatory way...correct?

That's the same way we feel. Our athletic accomplishments are in no way comparable to Alabama though. All we can do is win and hope it works itself out. It's catching on with a few media outlets...a couple more years like 2011, you never know.
12-20-2011 10:25 PM
geauxcajuns Offline
All American

(12-20-2011 10:21 PM)Usajags Wrote:  I love how sensitive you guys are about this issue. 03-weeping

I have lived in Alabama for a total of 22 of the last 24 months and I have never heard of anyone outside of UAB fans call it that. UAB fans do it out of spite because of their poor treatment by the powers at be, sound familiar?
12-20-2011 10:26 PM
cajunhawk Offline
Banned

(12-20-2011 09:35 PM)mtsufan561 Wrote:  
(12-20-2011 09:05 PM)AstroCajun Wrote:  

Agreed. I refer to ULM as ULM - it's apparent that's what they prefer. The University of Louisiana at Lafayette is referred to as UL, Louisiana, or Louisiana's Ragin Cajuns. There are just certain people and organizations that refuse to be accurate with identification (ESPN). Whether it's placing the Lafayette Leopards logo instead of Louisiana or calling Middle MTU, they're a bit off in terms of SBC accuracy.

Exactly. The school's website is "www.louisiana.edu" and they are The University of Louisiana (see their logo). ULM's is "www.ulm.edu" and they are ULM (see their logo). You don't see Alabama being referred to as "UAT", because that's not how they're branded. They are, in fact, the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, but people don't call them that often. There are plenty of other UA institutions in different cities labelled as UAH, UAB, etc.

Good post.
12-20-2011 10:26 PM
cajunhawk Offline
Banned

(12-20-2011 09:55 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  
(12-20-2011 09:35 PM)mtsufan561 Wrote:  The school's website is "www.louisiana.edu" and they are The University of Louisiana (see their logo).

It's also ULL.edu

See their logo...

[Image: logobig.jpg]

[Image: bottom.jpg]

[Image: ULhorz.223x75.png]

05-stirthepot
We have to have both. ull.edu is what we are required to have...louisiana.edu is how we thumb our nose and say "come at me bro" to anyone who doesn't like it.
12-20-2011 10:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.