Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2013 F Isaiah Watkins 6-8, 215 St. Benedict’s, NJ (Offer)
Bookmark and Share
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
2013 F Isaiah Watkins 6-8, 215 St. Benedict’s, NJ (Offer)
Quote:SUMMER SHOOTOUT NOTEBOOK
August 15, 2011 by Alex Schwartz

ALLENTOWN, N.J. — Although the Summer Shootout is not necessarily well-known outside of New Jersey, the event is filled with quality teams and talented players on a yearly basis. The 2011 edition was no different, as NBE Basketball Report took in some of the action on Saturday and got to catch up with a handful of Big East recruits.

Isaiah Watkins, a 6-foot-8, 215-pound power forward, really saw his stock increase this summer. A class of 2013 prospect who hails from Toronto and is in his first year at St. Benedict’s (NJ), Watkins already lists a number of high-major offers.

Watkins said that Santa Clara, Missouri, Arkansas, Cincinnati and Virginia have all extended scholarship offers to him. In addition, he is hearing from Harvard, Ohio State, Georgetown, Michigan, Elon, Lafayette, Niagara, Villanova, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Temple, West Virginia, Kansas and more.

“They [are all] coming at me real hard,” Waktins said. “Cincinnati [and] Arkansas coming at me probably the hardest . . . and Santa Clara.”

Watkins has yet to visit any schools, but is hoping to schedule some trips.

“I’m trying to set up a couple visits, but I do got sometime,” he said. “I got this year and then my prep year.”

As for what schools he would like to visit, Watkins remarked, “I have one set up with Cincinnati, I’m going down there and [also to] Temple. And I’m trying to go down there because they’re showing a lot of interest.”

Watkins has no timetable for a commitment, saying, “I’m keeping it open to all possible ideas for scholarships.”

Watkins said he sees himself as a three/four right now, but noted, “I think definitely by the I get out of high school I’ll be a small forward.”

As aforementioned, this is Watkins’ first year at St. Benedict’s, and he discussed the transition coming over from Oakwood Collegiate in Toronto.

“It’s honestly, it’s been great getting to be with guys–what can I say? It’s just been an unbelievable experience,” Watkins said. “They are hard working guys, they go to practice. As far as academically, they’re . . . hard working and great kids.”

2013 Isaiah Watkins

Per the link, UC also offered 2013 SF Tyler Roberson. Read more there.

(This post was last modified: 08-15-2011 04:20 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
08-15-2011 10:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BearChatter v2.0 Offline
Rounding Third and headed...
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Da Bearcats!
RE: 2013 F Isaiah Watkins 6-8, 215 St. Benedict’s, NJ (Offer)
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2011...yler-roberson/

Quote:Power forward
Union, New Jersey
Union
AAU: N.J. Roadrunners
Ht:6'8"
Wt:205 lbs
Class:2013 (High School)

The New Jersey Roadrunners are currently best known as the AAU program that produced Kyrie Irving, the odds-on favorite to be the top pick in the 2011 NBA Draft. However, Roadrunners coach Sandy Pyonin has been churning out Division I players for years and the next few will be no different.

The top prospect in the Roadrunners program right now is Tyler Roberson, a 6-foot-7, 195-pound small forward in the class of 2013 from Union (NJ). The Roadrunners won their pool at the Hoop Group Spring Jam Fest Phase II this weekend and Roberson was a main reason why.

Roberson’s talent has not gone unnoticed by Division I coaches, as he is already garnering interest from a number of quality programs. The rising junior lists offers from a trio of Big East schools in Cincinnati, Rutgers and Seton Hall as well as one from St. Joseph’s.

In addition to his offers, Roberson noted that schools such as Georgetown, Syracuse, Kansas and Xavier have expressed interest in him. At this point in his recruitment Roberson does not list any favorites.

“Somewhere where I can fit in [with the] style of play,” Roberson said of what he is looking for in a school, adding, “And a good coaching staff.”

Roberson not that location will “not really” be a factor for him. At this point he has yet to take any unofficial visits and does not have any planned.

While Roberson does not have a favorite conference he did note regarding a favorite school, “I love North Carolina.”

Roberson provided his thoughts on the three Big East schools that have extended scholarship offers.

Cincinnati: “I don’t really know much, but I know they have a good coach and it’s a nice university.”

Rutgers: “They have a good coaching staff and they be good in a couple of years.”

Seton Hall: “They have a real good coaching staff also.”

It is NBA superstar Kevin Garnett who Roberson said he would compare his game to.

Asked what he feels the strongest point of his game is, Roberson replied, “Probably my midrange jumpshot.”

As for his primary weakness on the court, Roberson said, “My strength, I need to get stronger.”

As a 2013 player participating in the U17 age division this past weekend, Roberson was by no means overmatched. In fact, he was one of the very best players on the floor.

A superb athlete with a versatile game, Roberson has the ability to score in multiple ways. When posting up, he can post up and hit the turnaround fadeaway jumper or finish at the cup.

Roberson has great hops as well as a solid handle. He is an active player who knows how to put the ball in the basket. Roberson can play either forward spot, but at 6’7 he likely projects as a three.

Should Roberson continue to grow, he could develop into a matchup nightmare as either a three or a face-up four. He certainly possesses some quality upside and is a name to keep in mind over the next couple years. College coaches will certainly be keeping him in mind as well.

08-15-2011 02:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.