Big East looks to expand
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
RE: Big East looks to expand
(11-01-2010 02:49 PM)dgrace4cards Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 02:27 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 02:15 PM)piratefan1975 Wrote:  I've been blowing this thread up today and it's been fun, but this is my last post.

I'm no TV exec and don't claim to have all the numbers. I'm not a decision maker in any way, shape or form; just enjoy expansion talk. With that being said, ECU has a sizable fanbase, over 27,000 students; the fastest growing school in one of the top ten most populated and fastest growing states in the Union.

Our fans travel from great distances to go to games as evidenced by our attendance vs. the population of Greenville. I'm not smart, but one thing's for certain, all those people aren't coming from the east unless they're coming by boat from Bermuda, which I don't think's the case. That only leaves north, south and west. To the north is Tidewater, VA and DC, the west is Raleigh-Durham (and Charlotte) and the south is, well, South Carolina. I make no claims that we carry any of these markets, but I do know we have a strong presence there. (That's like saying UCF carries Orlando) To dismiss us simply as Greenville being the 103rd ranked TV market is a little short-sighted. I think the Big East leadership is aware of our current/potential reach and influence on the Mid-Atlantic Seaboard.

Based on TV markets, these may agree...

105. Florida State
106. University of Nebraska
112. Boise State
114. Michigan State
116. University of Indiana
119. University of Oregon
143. Texas Tech University
160. University of Florida
183. University of Virginia

I like ECU and in terms of fan base attendance and overall football play over the past decade, it's likely the best of the C-USA options on paper. The problem is that I just don't think anyone outside of North Carolina and maybe some contingent areas in Virginia realizes it - there is virtually no national opinion about ECU (good, bad or indifferent). Memphis has a horrid football program, but they've played enough elite level basketball games where at least the average person off the street will hear the school's name and say, "Oh, that's a major basketball program." I'm not saying Memphis is a great option, either, as they truly have been terrible in football, yet there's some national name recognition.

Does the average sports fan in California or the Midwest turn on a football game to watch ECU just because ECU is involved? If we're being honest here, probably not. What about TCU? Well, that's likely a different answer.

Frank, can't you extend an invite to a team like ECU because they are ripe to benefit from a BCS upgrade, and have already put in the physical improvements to the facilities to be ready? I support ECU because they to me come across as a true college football program, and thats what the BE needs. Would you not extend a program an invite even if they aren't "there" yet, but with the BCS tag would certainly project to be on the same level as the rest of the league and most likely in a better position than some.

They along with TCU, UCF, and 1 of Houston/Memphis/Nova/Temple should be selected in two phases. TCU and ECU first phase and UCF and ? 2nd phase.

Thanks D4C...Im glad you feel that way...unfortunately...it ain't gonna happen. The TV market issue and the academic snobbery issue among a few of the schools.. is going to be more that we are going to be able to overcome.04-cheers
11-01-2010 04:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

I Root For: ECU
(11-01-2010 10:29 AM)Joshua Wrote:  OH NOSSEEE!!! CUSA AND MAC TEAMS AS EXPANSION CANDIDATES WATER DOWN AND TURN US INTO CUSA!!!! BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB BLUB !!!!! 03-lmfao

FYI, Watch CUSA Showdown between UCF and Houston on ESPN friday night at 8PM in what will be a pivotal game in determining who has the leg-up to host the conference championship game... 04-cheers
aka watch UCF coog it then watch UCF coog it again against USM so ECU can win the conference again :)
11-01-2010 05:11 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(11-01-2010 04:15 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 04:12 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 12:01 PM)b0ndsj0ns Wrote:  At this point ECU has done everything it is capable of doing to be ready. Expanded the stadium, filled the stadium, upgraded every single athletic facility, won back to back championships, so if it isn't enough then it never will be. It's as simple as that. We will have tough decisions to make if we get left behind again.

And you can almost bet the house...ECU will not be going anywhere. It just is not in the cards at this time. Regardless..We will be fine.04-cheers

If this does happen, that UCF joins the BE and ECU doesn't, I hope the series will continue at least occasionally (as I hope UCF-Marshall continues off and on). The internet bad blood aside, I think ECU is a good program and would be my choice to join the BE along with us.

You know...When the "super conference" stuff finally shakes out...There are going to be a few schools left out in the cold. I fully expect that ECU will be one of them. When that happens...I expect to see the price of scheduling teams like ECU for OOC play to jump astronomically. Nothing would please me more than to see the "have nots" simply gouge the hell out of the "haves"...BCS schools can only play a limited number of lower division opponents and remain in the BCS. Maybe those that are left will just join together and use the rules to set up their own little syndicate.04-cheers
11-01-2010 05:13 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(11-01-2010 02:15 PM)piratefan1975 Wrote:  I've been blowing this thread up today and it's been fun, but this is my last post.

I'm no TV exec and don't claim to have all the numbers. I'm not a decision maker in any way, shape or form; just enjoy expansion talk. With that being said, ECU has a sizable fanbase, over 27,000 students; the fastest growing school in one of the top ten most populated and fastest growing states in the Union.

Our fans travel from great distances to go to games as evidenced by our attendance vs. the population of Greenville. I'm not smart, but one thing's for certain, all those people aren't coming from the east unless they're coming by boat from Bermuda, which I don't think's the case. That only leaves north, south and west. To the north is Tidewater, VA and DC, the west is Raleigh-Durham (and Charlotte) and the south is, well, South Carolina. I make no claims that we carry any of these markets, but I do know we have a strong presence there. (That's like saying UCF carries Orlando) To dismiss us simply as Greenville being the 103rd ranked TV market is a little short-sighted. I think the Big East leadership is aware of our current/potential reach and influence on the Mid-Atlantic Seaboard.

105. Florida State
112. Boise State
114. Michigan State

I like ECU and in terms of fan base attendance and overall football play over the past decade, it's likely the best of the C-USA options on paper. The problem is that I just don't think anyone outside of North Carolina and maybe some contingent areas in Virginia realizes it - there is virtually no national opinion about ECU (good, bad or indifferent). Memphis has a horrid football program, but they've played enough elite level basketball games where at least the average person off the street will hear the school's name and say, "Oh, that's a major basketball program." I'm not saying Memphis is a great option, either, as they truly have been terrible in football, yet there's some national name recognition.

Does the average sports fan in California or the Midwest turn on a football game to watch ECU just because ECU is involved? If we're being honest here, probably not. What about TCU? Well, that's likely a different answer.

Frank, can't you extend an invite to a team like ECU because they are ripe to benefit from a BCS upgrade, and have already put in the physical improvements to the facilities to be ready? I support ECU because they to me come across as a true college football program, and thats what the BE needs. Would you not extend a program an invite even if they aren't "there" yet, but with the BCS tag would certainly project to be on the same level as the rest of the league and most likely in a better position than some.

They along with TCU, UCF, and 1 of Houston/Memphis/Nova/Temple should be selected in two phases. TCU and ECU first phase and UCF and ? 2nd phase.

If I were running the Big East (or any other BCS conference), I would only invite schools that are clearly unabashed improvements to the conference today, both in reality (BCS criteria) and public perception. Throw out all of the market size data (although not irrelevant) and do people believe intuitively that the move makes sense? Frankly, less is more for the Big East. There isn't a Penn State/Notre Dame-type school that's going to vault BE revenue into the stratosphere, so I don't see a financial reason to go up to 12 football schools. TCU improves the perception of the league drastically and makes the national TV games look more attractive all around. That's about the only school that seems to make intuitive sense (and even they aren't perfect).

The way people talk, it feels like they are forgetting that the Big East is actually already a BCS conference here. The conference's aim should be to get the maximum return on the smallest expansion possible because its revenues are already the lowest at the BCS level and it gets tougher financially to make it work with each additional school. 9 or 10 football schools would be a perfectly good size (TCU plus maybe School X - if I had to guess and assuming Villanova doesn't move up, School X would be Temple even if they aren't exactly completely deserving of it).
11-01-2010 05:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Iamready Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Louisville
(11-01-2010 05:00 PM)buckaineer Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 04:47 PM)animus Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 03:32 PM)HP-TBDPITL Wrote:  Just so we dont get off track of this article...

1) It mentioned schools as "lead" candidates...we don't need to disect that. It also mentioned Villanova and Temple in the same breath, how does that work? Would they ask Temple as football only if Nova doesnt want to move up? Surely they arent talking about adding Temple in all sports AND still have Nova? As I said, you cant cherry pick what you are dissecting from the list of candidates.

2) It didnt mention TV markets or the BEN. Did it?

3) The part about the split, what is that? What does that mean? Where are they going with that?

Lets not get into a discussion about anything more than what the article listed. Buck started a bunch of crap AGAIN when he makes generalizations like "ECU doesnt have the ratings". It's a statement that is OFF-TOPIC. No TV was mentioned, No ratings were mentioned. Let's stay on topic.

1: I think that Temple is being mentioned just in case Villanova declines to join or they probably won't join.

2: I have no idea what the lack of TV or the BEN means. That's definitely open for assumptions.

3: We'll soon find out about the split part means. I highly doubt its going to happen.

As for Buck, just ignore him. I understand your frustrations with him. And I agree with you btw.

sorry to hear your so pro ecu and anti big east animus. btw I responded DIRECTLY to a question asked of me in discussing ECU. Guess only ECU fans are allowed to post here now though. Shame, it used to be a good BIG EAST board. You might note that my OP nor the article it quotes has anything whatsoever to do with that program-but don't let that stop you from letting them hijack another thread and make personal attacks.

For goodness sakes - add TCU! 17 in hoops but still play 18 games (everybody once and two teams twice - for big tv matchups). Nova is going to move up so lets make it 10/17. That is getting huge and they probably should go ahead and split and go to 12 with UCF and Houston. Divisions would be traditional Big East (Rutgers/Nova/UCONN/Cuse/Pitt/WV and traditional CUSA (UofL/UC/USF/UCF/TCU/Houston). Wouldn't be nearly as deep in hoops though.
11-01-2010 05:22 PM
Bill Marsh Offline
1st String

I Root For: UConn
(11-01-2010 05:21 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

105. Florida State
112. Boise State
114. Michigan State

If I were running the Big East (or any other BCS conference), I would only invite schools that are clearly unabashed improvements to the conference today, both in reality (BCS criteria) and public perception. Throw out all of the market size data (although not irrelevant) and do people believe intuitively that the move makes sense? Frankly, less is more for the Big East. There isn't a Penn State/Notre Dame-type school that's going to vault BE revenue into the stratosphere, so I don't see a financial reason to go up to 12 football schools. TCU improves the perception of the league drastically and makes the national TV games look more attractive all around. That's about the only school that seems to make intuitive sense (and even they aren't perfect).

The way people talk, it feels like they are forgetting that the Big East is actually already a BCS conference here. The conference's aim should be to get the maximum return on the smallest expansion possible because its revenues are already the lowest at the BCS level and it gets tougher financially to make it work with each additional school. 9 or 10 football schools would be a perfectly good size (TCU plus maybe School X - if I had to guess and assuming Villanova doesn't move up, School X would be Temple even if they aren't exactly completely deserving of it).

Well said, Frank! 04-rock 04-rock 04-rock 04-cheers
11-01-2010 05:27 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest

105. Florida State
112. Boise State
114. Michigan State

No doubt the TCU is a no brainer.....I think UCF is also.
11-01-2010 05:29 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest

105. Florida State
112. Boise State
114. Michigan State

Frank...It seems clear that the current members of the BE are ready and willing to subsidize Nova's jump...Why would Nova decline?
11-01-2010 05:58 PM
Joshua Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UNF & UCF
I'm surprised nobody has brought up the fact that now all of a sudden Houston is being mentioned as a leading candidate.... Wasn't it last week that the UH President tweeted that conferences are still shifting at a CUSA Board meeting....

Interesting....
11-01-2010 06:00 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Syracuse
Donators
(11-01-2010 06:00 PM)Joshua Wrote:  I'm surprised nobody has brought up the fact that now all of a sudden Houston is being mentioned as a leading candidate.... Wasn't it last week that the UH President tweeted that conferences are still shifting at a CUSA Board meeting....

Interesting....

Yep. Most thought that had to do with a potential CUSA/MWC merger. But with this news, maybe not?

Also, I keep thinking back to Sandiss' post that hinted at 20/12.

I can't imagine why they would want to bloat this already overbloated conference to 20, but we will see.

Cheers,
Neil
11-01-2010 06:04 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Don't discount the 20/12 model...if Nova jumps then it opens up an invite for SLU, X or Butler.
11-01-2010 06:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(11-01-2010 06:06 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Don't discount the 20/12 model...if Nova jumps then it opens up an invite for SLU, X or Butler.

Knowing this league's fixation on markets, I'd have to believe St. Louis would win that invite hands down.

Cheers,
Neil
11-01-2010 06:07 PM
Jackson1011 Offline

I Root For:
(11-01-2010 06:07 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 06:06 PM)TexanMark Wrote:  Don't discount the 20/12 model...if Nova jumps then it opens up an invite for SLU, X or Butler.

Knowing this league's fixation on markets, I'd have to believe St. Louis would win that invite hands down.

Cheers,
Neil

Would love to see Umass in that spot, but your probably right about St Louis

Jackson
11-01-2010 06:11 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
(11-01-2010 06:04 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 06:00 PM)Joshua Wrote:  I'm surprised nobody has brought up the fact that now all of a sudden Houston is being mentioned as a leading candidate.... Wasn't it last week that the UH President tweeted that conferences are still shifting at a CUSA Board meeting....

Interesting....

Yep. Most thought that had to do with a potential CUSA/MWC merger. But with this news, maybe not?

I can't imagine why they would want to bloat this already overbloated conference to 20, but we will see.

Cheers,
Neil

Hey you live in the northeast and should know that like any good Italian or Irish Catholic family, "there's always room for one more" 03-lmfao
11-01-2010 06:17 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

Interesting....

Cheers,
Neil

It is smart if you want to build a Network...or join the NFL Network
11-01-2010 06:18 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(11-01-2010 06:11 PM)Jackson1011 Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 06:07 PM)omnicarrier Wrote:  

Cheers,
Neil

Would love to see Umass in that spot, but your probably right about St Louis

Jackson

I would think UMass would be viewed as a threat to want to go 1-A in football by the bb schools.

I'd loved to have Butler over St. Louis, but St. Louis > Indianapolis. Plus the Billikens are used to the travel east being in the A10.

Cheers,
Neil
11-01-2010 06:20 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(11-01-2010 06:17 PM)gosports1 Wrote:  

Interesting....

Cheers,
Neil

Hey you live in the northeast and should know that like any good Italian or Irish Catholic family, "there's always room for one more" 03-lmfao

Perhaps true for Italian families, but for Irish families, there is only room for one more at the bar - especially if they are paying. 03-lmfao

Cheers,
Neil
11-01-2010 06:22 PM
BigOwensboroCard Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisville
Is there any chance what so ever that the football schools could be using the other non football schools to get to 12 schools or more, and then issue a split once the schools were excepted into the fold???? I would love to see a split for the basketball schools IMO are holding the football schools back, and adding TCU, Houston, Central Florida, East Caolina would be awesome IMO. The all sports conference has to start some where. So why not have those schools ( TCU, UH, ECU, UCF ) with a possibility of adding schools from the Big 12-2 ( KSU, KU, Mizzu, ISU or Memphis ) when that conference implodes making a super conference of 14 or 16 schools???? I really don't care what happens, but I would like to see schools added to help enhance the football schools making a conference more stable than sitting on pin and needles year after year waiting to be picked of be the conference that be.
11-01-2010 06:22 PM
omniorange Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(11-01-2010 06:22 PM)BigOwensboroCard Wrote:  Is there any chance what so ever that the football schools could be using the other non football schools to get to 12 schools or more, and then issue a split once the schools were excepted into the fold???? I would love to see a split for the basketball schools IMO are holding the football schools back, and adding TCU, Houston, Central Florida, East Caolina would be awesome IMO. The all sports conference has to start some where. So why not have those schools ( TCU, UH, ECU, UCF ) with a possibility of adding schools from the Big 12-2 ( KSU, KU, Mizzu, ISU or Memphis ) when that conference implodes making a super conference of 14 or 16 schools???? I really don't care what happens, but I would like to see schools added to help enhance the football schools making a conference more stable than sitting on pin and needles year after year waiting to be picked of be the conference that be.

Wouldn't they just simply split in that case? After all, they could add them sooner that way and get a new TV contract sooner as well.

Cheers,
Neil
11-01-2010 06:24 PM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(11-01-2010 12:12 PM)JunkYardCard Wrote:  
(11-01-2010 12:05 PM)knightastic Wrote:  I think Miami has a serious chance of never being elite again. They'll be good for 7-8 wins a year but they won't be what they once were w/ Shalala as their President. UCF and USF being public universities will capitalize and the power may shift especially if both are in a BCS conference and turn it into a big rivalry along the I4 Corridor that has maybe 3-4 million people? UF and FSU will always have the resources to be top programs b/c of dedicated fanbases and much more revenue but everyone shouldn't assume Miami will eventually be 'back'.

I tend to agree.

7 million people.
(This post was last modified: 11-01-2010 06:28 PM by swagsurfer11.)
11-01-2010 06:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.