Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dana Wants To Go!
Ictjay Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: creighton
Dana Wants To Go!
Jay's let the MVC in scoring last year and Dana remarked that he wants his team to run even more and press than they did in previous years. On paper, he has the experience and athletes to do it. Without a proven backup center, should be interesting to watch. Funny how the recruiting emphasis has evolved for CU the last couple of years. More athletes and less of the brainy, fundamentally strong type.
11-03-2009 05:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ictjay Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Dana Wants To Go!
(11-03-2009 05:04 PM)Ictjay Wrote:  Jay's let the MVC in scoring last year and Dana remarked that he wants his team to run even more and press than they did in previous years. On paper, he has the experience and athletes to do it. Without a proven backup center, should be interesting to watch. Funny how the recruiting emphasis has evolved for CU the last couple of years. More athletes and less of the brainy, fundamentally strong type.

Sounds like they need to go go go and not miss any shots per last nights game. Oh well, 1st team to 90 wins the game.
11-05-2009 11:22 AM
shockerfan13 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Wichita State
(11-05-2009 11:22 AM)Ictjay Wrote:  
(11-03-2009 05:04 PM)Ictjay Wrote:  Jay's let the MVC in scoring last year and Dana remarked that he wants his team to run even more and press than they did in previous years. On paper, he has the experience and athletes to do it. Without a proven backup center, should be interesting to watch. Funny how the recruiting emphasis has evolved for CU the last couple of years. More athletes and less of the brainy, fundamentally strong type.

Sounds like they need to go go go and not miss any shots per last nights game. Oh well, 1st team to 90 wins the game.

Yeah, just looking at the stat sheet...if I were a Jays fan I would feel:

Good

5 players score in double figures
51.5% FG
41.9% 3pt
Only 11 Turnovers
24 assists on 33 baskets
10 steals
Held opponent to 30% 3pt
Caused opponent to turn it over 22 times

Needs improvment

outrebounded 28/44
Allowed opponent 19 offensive boards
Allowed opponent to shoot 56% in the 2nd half and 43% for the game
Out of 64 shots....31 were 3pt shots
65.2% FT

Now the "Good" list is obviously longer, but the "Needs improvement" list is something that will hurt come Valley time. For those at the game, how was your overall feeling? Obviously the score was lopsided, but they were a very small team.

With all that said, it was just an exhibition and that is what it is for. It's to help show any weaknesses before heading into the season. Have a couple weeks to work on it!
11-05-2009 02:47 PM
Advertisement

Ictjay Offline
Water Engineer

(11-05-2009 02:47 PM)shockerfan13 Wrote:  
(11-05-2009 11:22 AM)Ictjay Wrote:  

Yeah, just looking at the stat sheet...if I were a Jays fan I would feel:

Good

5 players score in double figures
51.5% FG
41.9% 3pt
Only 11 Turnovers
24 assists on 33 baskets
10 steals
Held opponent to 30% 3pt
Caused opponent to turn it over 22 times

Needs improvment

outrebounded 28/44
Allowed opponent 19 offensive boards
Allowed opponent to shoot 56% in the 2nd half and 43% for the game
Out of 64 shots....31 were 3pt shots
65.2% FT

Now the "Good" list is obviously longer, but the "Needs improvement" list is something that will hurt come Valley time. For those at the game, how was your overall feeling? Obviously the score was lopsided, but they were a very small team.

With all that said, it was just an exhibition and that is what it is for. It's to help show any weaknesses before heading into the season. Have a couple weeks to work on it!

Nice work! Unfortunately, 1st game is Nov. 14th at ranked Dayton
11-05-2009 05:26 PM
Aargh Offline
2nd String

I Root For: WSU
I think WSU fans would eagerly await CU playing full-court and running a lot.

WSU's players haven't proven it on the court yet, but they look like a group that can run with a lot of teams and WSU seems to have the depth to keep fresh legs on the court in an uptempo game.
11-05-2009 05:45 PM
Advertisement

WuDrWu Offline
Water Engineer

Anything is possible, but I am pretty sure Dana's team will do what they set out to do better and more often than the vast majority of the teams they play.

And 31 of 64 being 3s is not going to be out of the norm for this team. It is a team full of shooters....and a 19' 3point shot is a ton better than a 17 foot 2 point shot.
11-05-2009 09:54 PM
shockerfan13 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Wichita State
(11-05-2009 09:54 PM)WuDrWu Wrote:  Anything is possible, but I am pretty sure Dana's team will do what they set out to do better and more often than the vast majority of the teams they play.

And 31 of 64 being 3s is not going to be out of the norm for this team. It is a team full of shooters....and a 19' 3point shot is a ton better than a 17 foot 2 point shot.

I suppose. And looking back at their stats from last year I guess they did shoot quite a few 3's at times. Just seemed like an awful lot. I guess you do play to your team's strengths and if your post players aren't a strength then your guards shoot.

I guess MY concept of a truely good team who can have success in March is one who is a little more balanced. ONLY MY OPINION THOUGH. Obviously Villanova had alot of success for a few years and they shot ALOT of 3's during that time. I guess it can be done.

I do remember good shooters on Altman coached teams obviously. My question for Creighton fans though is has his teams ALWAYS shot that many 3's? I just never really realized it if so.
11-05-2009 11:25 PM
Advertisement

Nicknay Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Bears
Personally, I don't like the idea that Dana has a team that can pressure better than his teams of the past. It was bad enough when he had mediocre quickness. Still, will be fun to burn his butt when he pulls that shat. He'll get some, but I think we can get more off of that if played right.
11-06-2009 01:08 AM
WuDrWu Offline
Water Engineer

(11-05-2009 11:25 PM)shockerfan13 Wrote:  I guess MY concept of a truely good team who can have success in March is one who is a little more balanced. ONLY MY OPINION THOUGH. Obviously Villanova had alot of success for a few years and they shot ALOT of 3's during that time. I guess it can be done.

'13, you're exactly right and that is precisely why CU hasn't had more success in March when it appeared they should. Can a team built like Dana's win in March? Sure it's possible, but highly unlikely and not over the long term.
11-06-2009 07:11 AM
Advertisement

jayball Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Creighton
We are hopeful this group will be more aggressive defensively and on the press, but they haven't proven anything. I think there are a few MVC teams who will have some depth this year, so I'm not sure if we will necessarily have an advantage with that style. I think the depth issue help DA win late season games and MVC tourneys earlier in his CU stint, but it hasn't had quite as big of an impact in recent seasons for a variety of reasons. Some games it might help us and others I'm expecting easy buckets for those who break the press.

I expect WSU, INSt, and perhaps even SIU to pressure and push the tempo also. Should be a fun year.

I disagree about March success issue. Their are teams with very different style that can be successful in March. I don't think the number of 3pts taken is necessarily the explanation for no S16s for CU (if that is your benchmark). John Belien's teams shoot tons of threes and he has been pretty successful.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2009 05:40 PM by jayball.)
11-06-2009 05:40 PM
xsaluki Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Salukis
I will believe a tempo change for SIU whenever I see it during the conference games. We always play faster during the exhibition and many fans think it is a new era... and then the brakes are applied. I personally don't care what tempo as long as it diminishes the chance of sitting through another losing season.

Dana will do whatever he needs, he has the tools to force whatever tempo he wants to play.
11-07-2009 07:59 AM
tropicalshox Offline
Valley Recruiting Guru

I Root For: wichita state
Seems like there's always talk about more running and pressing at various schools each year. Usually it doesn't happen. It didn't happen in the Shockers exhibition game and the Shocker faithful have been talking that talk some.
11-14-2009 10:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.