Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Elijah Muldrow still putting up some points
Bookmark and Share
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
Elijah Muldrow still putting up some points
Averaged 26.6 points a game for the Ventura County Jets in the West Coast Basketball League this Spring and early Summer.

This article is a year or two old-

Love of the game

A recent practice/tryout session was staged at the Shepherd of the Hills Church, where Breakers player Josh Merrill is the sports pastor.

Elijah Muldrow, a former guard at Ventura College and Arkansas-Little Rock, was among those in attendance.
"Basketball is my love and my life," he said. "I live and breathe the game, so I'm excited about the chance to play for Ventura. I never thought I'd get a chance to the play in the Ventura College gym again, but I'm looking to make that happen."

Muldrow, 25, said he's confident in his ability to claim a roster spot.

"I'm from New York City, so I'm not going to be intimidated by anything on the basketball floor. My goal is to show them what I can do," he says.
09-14-2009 08:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
RE: Elijah Muldrow still putting up some points
He was a good one. I think if he had been here 4 years he would have been really good.
09-15-2009 08:13 AM
DollarBill Offline
1st String

I Root For: Trojans
(09-15-2009 08:13 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  He was a good one. I think if he had been here 4 years he would have been really good.

I recall at the time he was here that it seemed to me that UALR and Coach Shield's system was not the best fit for Muldrow.
09-15-2009 08:42 AM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(09-15-2009 08:42 AM)DollarBill Wrote:  
(09-15-2009 08:13 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  He was a good one. I think if he had been here 4 years he would have been really good.

I recall at the time he was here that it seemed to me that UALR and Coach Shield's system was not the best fit for Muldrow.

I think most anyone who has UALR under Porter and Steve, would agree that it's not a system for guys that can shoot. Really, I haven't seen much of an offensive system here other than get the ball into the post. Anyone disagree with this thinking?
09-15-2009 09:40 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-15-2009 09:40 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  

I think most anyone who has UALR under Porter and Steve, would agree that it's not a system for guys that can shoot. Really, I haven't seen much of an offensive system here other than get the ball into the post. Anyone disagree with this thinking?

There is nothing wrong with Steve's system if you have big men who are real scorers. With that said, probably the most difficult players to recruit at our level or big men who have offensive skills. We find some wide bodies who can bang around, do some rebounding and play some defense, but I can't remember any who could put up a lot of points on a consistent basis.

Our strength would seem to be in recruiting the 6 foot to 6'4" players, since there are many more of them from which to choose. So a system that is more conducive to an up and down game would be more suited to our talent pool. So basically we've been attempting to put square pegs in round holes for many years, and surprisingly we've done pretty well. Just think of how well we could do if we played an offense that allowed us to recruit athletes to take a sufficient number of shots that would be attractive to good shooters and up and down the court type players.

Sorry LRT. You asked what time it was, and I responded by telling how to build a watch.04-cheers
09-15-2009 10:23 AM
Advertisement

LRTrojan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR Trojans
(09-15-2009 10:23 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  

There is nothing wrong with Steve's system if you have big men who are real scorers. With that said, probably the most difficult players to recruit at our level or big men who have offensive skills. We find some wide bodies who can bang around, do some rebounding and play some defense, but I can't remember any who could put up a lot of points on a consistent basis.

Our strength would seem to be in recruiting the 6 foot to 6'4" players, since there are many more of them from which to choose. So a system that is more conducive to an up and down game would be more suited to our talent pool. So basically we've been attempting to put square pegs in round holes for many years, and surprisingly we've done pretty well. Just think of how well we could do if we played an offense that allowed us to recruit athletes to take a sufficient number of shots that would be attractive to good shooters and up and down the court type players.

Sorry LRT. You asked what time it was, and I responded by telling how to build a watch.04-cheers

Yes there is something wrong with our system. First of all, we seldom have bigs that can score, and we don't run screens and picks for our shooter(when we have one)to get open shots. I don't need to know how to build a watch. Timex has taken care of that for me. I just want a coach who can build a team that can score.
09-15-2009 10:55 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-15-2009 10:55 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  
(09-15-2009 10:23 AM)outsideualr Wrote:  

Yes there is something wrong with our system. First of all, we seldom have bigs that can score, and we don't run screens and picks for our shooter(when we have one)to get open shots. I don't need to know how to build a watch. Timex has taken care of that for me. I just want a coach who can build a team that can score.

It's about time!04-cheers
09-15-2009 11:12 AM
Advertisement

outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-14-2009 08:58 PM)mjs Wrote:  Averaged 26.6 points a game for the Ventura County Jets in the West Coast Basketball League this Spring and early Summer.

This article is a year or two old-

Love of the game

A recent practice/tryout session was staged at the Shepherd of the Hills Church, where Breakers player Josh Merrill is the sports pastor.

Elijah Muldrow, a former guard at Ventura College and Arkansas-Little Rock, was among those in attendance.
"Basketball is my love and my life," he said. "I live and breathe the game, so I'm excited about the chance to play for Ventura. I never thought I'd get a chance to the play in the Ventura College gym again, but I'm looking to make that happen."

Muldrow, 25, said he's confident in his ability to claim a roster spot.

"I'm from New York City, so I'm not going to be intimidated by anything on the basketball floor. My goal is to show them what I can do," he says.

Wasn't Elijah one of our "three star" rated recruits on Rivals?04-cheers
09-17-2009 10:40 AM
MICHAELSPAPPY Offline
Legend

I Root For: CHI ST, CROWLEY, TEX WES
(09-15-2009 10:55 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  we seldom have bigs that can score,

Not many folks do.
09-17-2009 11:01 AM
outsideualr Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-17-2009 11:01 AM)MICHAELSPAPPY Wrote:  
(09-15-2009 10:55 AM)LRTrojan Wrote:  we seldom have bigs that can score,

Not many folks do.

JJ banged around enough to get 12-15 points a game on just sheer determination. Seems like there would be a big man who could score at least that each game. Maybe we play our big men by committee, which helps keep them fresher for defense, but prevents any one of them from putting up big numbers. Checking our stats from last year, Smith, Burton and Bails averaged 13 points between them, so I guess our big men score by committee. I'd just love to see one that could score 15-20 points on a regular basis, but as you say, those types are difficult to come by.03-banghead
09-26-2009 07:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread:

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.