Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Memorial Guest Speaker??
Bookmark and Share
zastman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU,GWolfe,Cubs
Memorial Guest Speaker??
Could this Sunday Night's Memorial Service Guest Speaker be President Bush?

I was curious because President Bush was at Virginia Tech's Memorial Service.
02-22-2008 09:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RobertN Offline
Legend

I Root For: THE NIU Huskies
RE: Memorial Guest Speaker??
zastman Wrote:Could this Sunday Night's Memorial Service Guest Speaker be President Bush?

I was curious because President Bush was at Virginia Tech's Memorial Service.
If I were to guess it would be Obama since he still has an Illinois connection and I think the publicity would serve him well. It will also be shown on the major networks if he goes. Also, if I am not mistaken, Bush is still in Africa(but I could be wrong). Could be Billary or McCain but I can't see her doing it because she really doesn't have time, money or much of a connection with Illinois anymore but the exposure might be worth a trip outside Tx and Oh. If McCain were to do something, he would have done it when he was in Illinois just a few days ago. I can't see him making an extra trip.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2008 10:13 PM by RobertN.)
02-22-2008 10:09 PM
HuskiesComeOnYouHuskies Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies!
Rumor has it that secret service has been on campus since yesterday setting up posts and locations. Some one big will be at this memorial service.
02-22-2008 10:54 PM
zastman Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU,GWolfe,Cubs
HuskiesComeOnYouHuskies Wrote:Rumor has it that secret service has been on campus since yesterday setting up posts and locations. Some one big will be at this memorial service.

Its gotta be President Bush
02-22-2008 10:59 PM
RobertN Offline
Legend

zastman Wrote:
HuskiesComeOnYouHuskies Wrote:Rumor has it that secret service has been on campus since yesterday setting up posts and locations. Some one big will be at this memorial service.

Its gotta be President Bush
Hillary and Obama also have secret service protection.
02-22-2008 11:03 PM
1st String

I had originally heard that President Bush was going to be in Africa for 8 days, but it appears that his trip was the 15th-21st. I think it'd be pretty cool to have the President at the memorial service.

Quote:One year after the announcement that he United States government was going to accelerate the militarization of Africa, President George Bush is embarking on a journey to Africa to coerce African societies to align themselves with the neo-conservative agenda of the present US administration. President George Bush will visit five African countries between February 15 -21.
02-22-2008 11:14 PM
Advertisement

klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
I heard both the President and Obama will be there.
02-22-2008 11:26 PM
NIU02 Offline
Special Teams

It looks like it is going to be Secretary of Health and Human Services Michael Leavitt.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/...80222.html

Quote:Also want to note that the -- on the Northern Illinois University memorial service, last week the President offered condolences to the families and friends of the victims of the tragic campus shootings at Northern Illinois University. The President has asked Secretary of Health and Human Services Michael Leavitt to serve as his personal representative at the memorial service at Northern Illinois University. And that occurs on Sunday evening, this Sunday, the 24th.
02-22-2008 11:27 PM
1st String

NIU02 Wrote:It looks like it is going to be Secretary of Health and Human Services Michael Leavitt.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/...80222.html

Quote:Also want to note that the -- on the Northern Illinois University memorial service, last week the President offered condolences to the families and friends of the victims of the tragic campus shootings at Northern Illinois University. The President has asked Secretary of Health and Human Services Michael Leavitt to serve as his personal representative at the memorial service at Northern Illinois University. And that occurs on Sunday evening, this Sunday, the 24th.

That about sums it up.
02-22-2008 11:40 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I highly doubt any candidates would be permitted to be seen as capitalizing on the tragedy for free media exposure nationwide.

If Obama were to appear so would Blago and Durbin.

If Obama appeared it woud be difficult to omit Illinois native HillaryC and then McCain and Huckebee.

I doubt any of the four from Illinois would have a speaking role.

GOD FORBID but is it safe to scratch Chaney? The jokes to follow regarding guns would be brutal.

Will it be streamed live on internet like the press conferences carried on NBC5 website?
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2008 12:36 AM by cyberdawg.)
02-23-2008 12:23 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

cyberdawg Wrote:I highly doubt any candidates would be permitted to be seen as capitalizing on the tragedy for free media exposure nationwide.

If Obama were to appear so would Blago and Durbin.

If Obama appeared it woud be difficult to omit Illinois native HillaryC and then McCain and Huckebee.

I doubt any of the four from Illinois would have a speaking role.

GOD FORBID but is it safe to scratch Chaney? The jokes to follow regarding guns would be brutal.

Will it be streamed live on internet like the press conferences carried on NBC5 website?
I can't believe that this Michael Leavitt guy needs secret service. No wonder our budget deficit is so high. We spend the money for secret service on someone who is frankly, not worth of this protection. Who would attack this guy anyway? Rediculous.

Cybes, I hope it isn't Cheney, the President of the US. Oops. I always make that mistake. That should have said Vice President of the US. My mistake it is just hard to tell who is President sometimes. 03-lmfao

As for Hillary, she has no legitimate claim because she isn't even a Chicagoan anymore but Obama DOES because he currently is a US senator from the state so he would have a legit reason to come.
02-23-2008 09:07 AM
Advertisement

cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Cannot have Obama without Hillary IMO and it has nothing to do with whether or not I support or oppose either candidacies.

I was first thinking maybe Hastert, an NIU alum but his resignation took effect Jan 1, 2008.

I think your comments about protection is mean spirited. Providing protection to a Cabinet member is unquestionable. Do we need any more examples of nut jobs on the loose looking for fame? Could some looney unhappy about government services thru his department be wandering the mean streets of the USA? ABSOLUTELY.

If Leavitt were my dad I would expect protection in a land where sanity has broken down.

It's money well spent IMO.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2008 10:09 AM by cyberdawg.)
02-23-2008 10:08 AM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I wonder if Hastert will be there. He is an NIU Grad.
02-23-2008 10:18 AM
RobertN Offline
Legend

cyberdawg Wrote:Cannot have Obama without Hillary IMO and it has nothing to do with whether or not I support or oppose either candidacies.

I was first thinking maybe Hastert, an NIU alum but his resignation took effect Jan 1, 2008.

I think your comments about protection is mean spirited. Providing protection to a Cabinet member is unquestionable. Do we need any more examples of nut jobs on the loose looking for fame? Could some looney unhappy about government services thru his department be wandering the mean streets of the USA? ABSOLUTELY.

If Leavitt were my dad I would expect protection in a land where sanity has broken down.

Looks like Obama will be there. Hillary has no reason to be. She has NOTHING to do with Illinois anymore. She is a traitor to NY. As for the guys protection, granted he is in a high position but I don't feel that is enough to warrant secret service. Did "Brownie" have secret service?
02-23-2008 11:26 AM
HuskieBro Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
RobertN Wrote:
cyberdawg Wrote:Cannot have Obama without Hillary IMO and it has nothing to do with whether or not I support or oppose either candidacies.

Looks like Obama will be there. Hillary has no reason to be. She has NOTHING to do with Illinois anymore. She is a traitor to NY. As for the guys protection, granted he is in a high position but I don't feel that is enough to warrant secret service. Did "Brownie" have secret service?
It is SOP for presidential candidates..
02-23-2008 02:37 PM
huskiefan035 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
HuskieBro Wrote:
RobertN Wrote:

It is SOP for presidential candidates..

Usually candidates don't receive Secret Service protection until they are their respective party's nominee. However, Obama has had Secret Service protection going back to last year due to several supposed threats he received.
02-23-2008 04:26 PM
Advertisement

Huskies2710 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: N. Illinois
An expected 25,000 people will be there for the service. I find it hard to believe that building can even hold 20,000, where will everyone go
02-23-2008 06:42 PM
Doggone Offline
1st String

Huskies2710 Wrote:An expected 25,000 people will be there for the service. I find it hard to believe that building can even hold 20,000, where will everyone go

I heard they will have overflow crowds at the Alumni Center and Holmes Student Center. It is also being broadcast to the satellite campuses in Naperville, Hoffman Estates, and Rockford.
02-23-2008 06:44 PM
NIURedBlack Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Ok these may be dumb questions but....

Will concessions be open? If so, imagine the line for your slice of Connie's pie.
Will the Gift Shop be open? If so, will they remain open after the ceremony or close 15 mins prior?
We salute u Bleeds, Mr. Convo stage preparation guy. Wear that walkee talkee with pride!
02-23-2008 10:02 PM
HuskiemobileMan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, MAC, Cubs
Donators
NIURedBlack Wrote:Will concessions be open? If so, imagine the line for your slice of Connie's pie.
Yes, but only 1 line
NIURedBlack Wrote:Will the Gift Shop be open? If so, will they remain open after the ceremony or close 15 mins prior?
Close 15 minutes prior to doors opening.
02-23-2008 10:05 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.