Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Demetrius Jones
Bookmark and Share
HuskieRak Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU! NIU! NIU!
RE: Demetrius Jones
so, the real question here is if Demetrius can be on my intramural team?
09-16-2007 06:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
NIUbro Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Joe had Wolfe and Turner - the best RB's at NIU both play after injuries to the starter - wow - great insight there huh!!!

I may be wrong but I believe that Turner got to play because of the heart condition discovered with Hammock after the Wake Forest game. Hammock was a great runner and could have been one of the best at NIU.

Sorry to see the lack of maturity being shown here by many over the last several days. Mostly done by people who have never been in the spotlight of public scrutiny. I will take his (Joe Novak's) body of work over any of yours (speaking to the morons that can only express their thoughts with vulgarity). Come back some day and show us how well you do as an adult taking a company in desperate times and moving it forward as well as Joe has with the NIU football program. It was not easy evaluating talent and convincing that talent like Hammock, Fleck, Haldi, Cielslak, Hurd, McCareins,Turner, Diem, etc to come to NIU. Especially with the god awful facilities that we had at the time. And along with that he has had to put up with a revolving door of assistant coaches that leave for better jobs (more money). Is he the perfect coach? No but he has proven to be one of the best that we could have ever hoped for. Some of you should be so lucky to become half the man that Joe Novak is.
09-16-2007 08:21 PM
NIUHuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
NIUbro Wrote:Joe had Wolfe and Turner - the best RB's at NIU both play after injuries to the starter - wow - great insight there huh!!!

I may be wrong but I believe that Turner got to play because of the heart condition discovered with Hammock after the Wake Forest game. Hammock was a great runner and could have been one of the best at NIU.

Sorry to see the lack of maturity being shown here by many over the last several days. Mostly done by people who have never been in the spotlight of public scrutiny. I will take his (Joe Novak's) body of work over any of yours (speaking to the morons that can only express their thoughts with vulgarity). Come back some day and show us how well you do as an adult taking a company in desperate times and moving it forward as well as Joe has with the NIU football program. It was not easy evaluating talent and convincing that talent like Hammock, Fleck, Haldi, Cielslak, Hurd, McCareins,Turner, Diem, etc to come to NIU. Especially with the god awful facilities that we had at the time. And along with that he has had to put up with a revolving door of assistant coaches that leave for better jobs (more money). Is he the perfect coach? No but he has proven to be one of the best that we could have ever hoped for. Some of you should be so lucky to become half the man that Joe Novak is.

+1
09-16-2007 08:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Fade2black Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ALLNIU
Check out today's artcile in the South Bend Tribune. Jones "mans up" on the less than tactful way he left ND and sounds like a great kid. He also explains why Joe hasn't talked to him (for all conclusion jumpers in the crowd).

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbc...001/Sports
09-17-2007 08:30 AM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
next thing to look forward to is watching him on the field at the spring game
09-17-2007 08:59 AM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
and nice first post, that article is good
09-17-2007 09:00 AM
gcd Offline
All American

I Root For:
I am sure, however, this Jones story developed, Coach Novak and the assts were very cautious as you have to be aware of tampering charges. You have plenty of time to comment after it is a done deal. As for the season so far, making too many mistakes and missing senior leasdership. Also, the asst coaching changes we have had in the last few years may have caught up with us this season with 4 new Off coaches and we are struggling to find a rhythem. For all you youg guys on this board, this is when you are tested as a fan. I have been through hard times and kept coming back for 42 years. When you are there for the tough times you earn the right to be there for the good times.
09-17-2007 09:12 AM
TheNEWguy Offline
Banned

I really wonder if anyone else just feels like this year can be like a "pre-season" to the 08 year. Who are we losing?

Acevedo and Brandon Davis? Nice kids i'm sure, but not really superstars. Let's just accept the young guys are going to make mistakes, and next year we are going to be very good. The dropped passes, missed tackles, and other stupid young mistakes will be cut down a TON next season.

I don't know why anyone thinks joe needs to go. And heck if i was him i'd stick around till 2010, with Jones, and the Kids growing up this team is going to be really good in a year or 2.

So just accept that this is a growing year!
09-17-2007 09:50 AM
gcd Offline
All American

I Root For:
this kid is a big time player a I doubt we will have to change to O very much. What he gives us is the ability to run, but lets get this season turned around first.
09-17-2007 10:05 AM
NIUSOUTH Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Quick story from this weekend. As irony would have it, I was in South Bend this weekend with my daughter's soccer team. I saw the ticker on ESPN about Demetrius enrolling at NIU. Sunday, without thinking about it, I was in the elevator of the hotel wearing an NIU football shirt and a ND cap I just bought at the campus bookstore. An older gentelman in the elevator asked if I was with the NIU athletic dept and there on the "Jones thing". It took me a minute to figure out I was probably the only person in South Bend with that combination on. I referred to it as my "Demetrius Jones outfit" the rest of the day. No one else really got it.
09-17-2007 10:50 AM
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

DJ was wearing a "Demetrius Jones outfit" as well Saturday. The NIU jacket covering up the ND shirt.
09-17-2007 10:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

gcd Wrote:I am sure, however, this Jones story developed, Coach Novak and the assts were very cautious as you have to be aware of tampering charges. You have plenty of time to comment after it is a done deal. As for the season so far, making too many mistakes and missing senior leasdership. Also, the asst coaching changes we have had in the last few years may have caught up with us this season with 4 new Off coaches and we are struggling to find a rhythem. For all you youg guys on this board, this is when you are tested as a fan. I have been through hard times and kept coming back for 42 years. When you are there for the tough times you earn the right to be there for the good times.

According to the Chicago Tribune, Jones has yet to be released from his Notre Dame schollarship. Therefore, he has yet to have any contact with the NIU coaches.
09-17-2007 11:18 AM
NIUHuskies86 Offline
Old by internet standards

gcd Wrote:For all you youg guys on this board, this is when you are tested as a fan. I have been through hard times and kept coming back for 42 years. When you are there for the tough times you earn the right to be there for the good times.

Nobody that is dedicated enough to post here is jumping, it's everybody else that's the problem. It will be fun in a couple years when, IMO, our basketball and football teams will be good.

And after further review and asking around, Jones really is a great kid actually and we'll be fortunate to have him beyond just what he does on the field. That article had some refreshing honesty in it.
09-17-2007 12:36 PM
HuskieJoe Offline
All American

I Root For:
Fade2black Wrote:Check out today's artcile in the South Bend Tribune. Jones "mans up" on the less than tactful way he left ND and sounds like a great kid. He also explains why Joe hasn't talked to him (for all conclusion jumpers in the crowd).

http://www.southbendtribune.com/apps/pbc...001/Sports

Kind of interesting the way DJ said "College coaching is a business, but so is playing. So is playing."

If you know you aren't going to play you can't blame a guy for jumping to another ship where there is an opportunity. It's just like a job - when your employer says, we're not going to give you that promotion you think you deserve, you certainly have the right to find a better opportunity. And in DJ's case, he didn't want to waste two years of eligibility to transfer to a DI-A school not too far from Chicago. He may get criticized for leaving abruptly and on bad terms, but he will have more opportunity @ NIU leaving ND on "bad" terms than he would've @ ND sitting on the bench for the remainder of the season, transferring under "good" terms, and losing his sophomore year of eligibility, leaving only two years to play.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2007 01:27 PM by HuskieJoe.)
09-17-2007 01:12 PM
dynovinyl Offline
Heisman

HuskieJoe Wrote:Kind of interesting the way DJ said "College coaching is a business, but so is playing. So is playing."
Seems to fit well with his comment about waiting for an opportunity versus making an oportunity.
09-17-2007 01:14 PM
cyberdawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
Has any other thread ever generated so many relpies in such a short time frame?

You would think Knute Rockne returned from the grave to coach NIU and Rudy followed
09-17-2007 04:22 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Some random noted that I thought should be posted, but didn't think thye needed their own thread.

Apparenlty Jones can now offically talk to the coaching staff and the coaching staff can talk to him.
However, he still can't practice yet.
He also started taking classes at NIU on Monday.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2007 08:02 PM by 7.)
09-19-2007 08:00 PM
COHUSKIE Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU/ColoState
NIUHuskies86 Wrote:
gcd Wrote:For all you youg guys on this board, this is when you are tested as a fan. I have been through hard times and kept coming back for 42 years. When you are there for the tough times you earn the right to be there for the good times.

Nobody that is dedicated enough to post here is jumping, it's everybody else that's the problem. It will be fun in a couple years when, IMO, our basketball and football teams will be good.

And after further review and asking around, Jones really is a great kid actually and we'll be fortunate to have him beyond just what he does on the field. That article had some refreshing honesty in it.

+100 I sat in the empty stands in the 90's, every game. To confuse critique with jumping is stupid. To see where we came from and get a glimpse of what could be achieved and to have what is going on this year is frustrating as hell. There is much more parity to come in CFB and we have to position ourselves to take advantage of that. 10 years from now the amount of money a program has will not have the same impact it had 10 years ago. Geez, The Citidel gave Wisconsin all they could handle. Would not have happened 10 years ago.
09-19-2007 08:10 PM
niu79 Offline
All American

7 Wrote:Some random noted that I thought should be posted, but didn't think thye needed their own thread.

Apparenlty Jones can now offically talk to the coaching staff and the coaching staff can talk to him.
However, he still can't practice yet.
He also started taking classes at NIU on Monday.

Kind of surreal to think that he could begin practicing as soon as he is released by ND, which I would expect to happen shortly. Just wondering how Dan Nicholson's psyche is holding up.
09-19-2007 08:31 PM
julianNIU Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:
HuskieRak Wrote:so, the real question here is if Demetrius can be on my intramural team?

i was thinking the same thing too but than realized if he ever got hurt while playing intramural football on my team, I would probably get shot and tossed into the mighty kishwaukee river
09-21-2007 05:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.