Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Igor wants to "Be like Mike"
techfan4 Offline
One of the First

I Root For: Georgia Tech

SkunkworksCrappies

When Igor Rakocevic was a youngster, friends dubbed him "White Jordan" because he loved to dunk the basketball.

Michael Jordan is still the Yugoslavian point guard's favorite NBA player, so it's no surprise that Rakocevic hopes to play against him next season. But two things have to happen: Jordan, who came out of retirement last season, has to return to the Washington Wizards for 2002-03, and the Timberwolves must sign Rakocevic.

"He has the ability to prove that he can play for us,'' Wolves coach Flip Saunders said. "That's why it's a big week for him, to see how he develops in Boston.''

Rakocevic, the Wolves' second-round draft choice in 2000, is one of about a dozen players who will play for Minnesota this week at Shaw's Pro Summer League in Boston. He also has taken part in a Wolves minicamp the past three days.

Rakocevic, 6 feet 3 and 175 pounds, has a year left on his contract with Buducnost Podgorica in Yugoslavia, but that contract can be bought out if the Wolves want to sign him. The Wolves have only Terrell Brandon signed at point guard, so this could be Rakocevic's best shot to catch on with the team. He is competing with summer league teammates Khalid El-Amin and Marcus Taylor for a roster spot.

"Of course I want to play in the NBA,'' Rakocevic said. "I feel good here, and I think I can surprise a lot of people with what I can do. The most important thing for me is, if I come to Minnesota, I want to get some playing time, which would allow me to show my skills and earn more minutes."

Rakocevic, 24, averaged 17.7 points and 2.1 assists with Buducnost Podgorica last season and will play for Yugoslavia in the World Championships in September at Indianapolis. Rakocevic said he is trying to improve his free-throw and three-point shooting, but Saunders said Rakocevic is a better player than when the Wolves drafted him.

"He's extremely athletic, he's more confident, he has more of an ability to create and to score with the basketball,'' Saunders said.

Rakocevic said he has strengthened his body, his defense, his shooting and his ball handling during the past two years.

"I know the things they want to see in the players, and I'm just trying to do the best I can: play good defense, get my teammates the ball,'' he said. "I want very much to play in the NBA, and I'm just trying to play my best here and in Boston.''

First cuts: The Wolves trimmed their minicamp roster to 13 on Sunday, and they may cut an additional player today before leaving for Boston.

Former Gophers Dusty Rychart and Travarus Bennett were among the players cut, along with Lou Roe, Albert White, Sean Kennedy, Trevor Gaines and Nate Huffman, who was on the roster but never attended camp.
07-15-2002 11:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Terpy Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Are you a Timberwolves fan?
07-16-2002 09:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.