CSNbbs
Creative scheduling in NCAA MBB - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Creative scheduling in NCAA MBB (/thread-853209.html)

Creative scheduling in NCAA MBB - WMInTheBurg - 07-11-2018 08:46 PM

https://deadspin.com/a-college-basketball-insider-is-uniting-mid-majors-to-b-1826990796

I couldn't find the earlier thread we had about the CUSA scheduling change, so I'm starting a new thread.

This is great, and I hope Adams gets a round on all the sports talk shows to yell about the P6 cartel. The closing line sums up how I feel - Adams: “The last question I would ask in every meetings—with presidents, ADs, anybody I was talking to—the very last question, after the research, the conclusions, and what the recommendations would be, was always: How’s the status quo working for you?”

RE: Creative scheduling in NCAA MBB - Florida tribe fan - 07-22-2018 05:22 PM

(07-11-2018 08:46 PM)TribeInTheBurg Wrote:  https://deadspin.com/a-college-basketball-insider-is-uniting-mid-majors-to-b-1826990796

I couldn't find the earlier thread we had about the CUSA scheduling change, so I'm starting a new thread.

This is great, and I hope Adams gets a round on all the sports talk shows to yell about the P6 cartel. The closing line sums up how I feel - Adams: “The last question I would ask in every meetings—with presidents, ADs, anybody I was talking to—the very last question, after the research, the conclusions, and what the recommendations would be, was always: How’s the status quo working for you?”

The reticence of mid-major commissioners and ADs on this issue remains a mystery. The status quo does not work if the metrics are tournament selection and seeding. Corruption and cheating scandals involving the Power 5 come and go. The Duke AD is named to chair the 2019-20 tournament selection committee. The number of crumbs falling to mid-majors from the $1B endeavor that is the NCAA tournament remains fixed or shrinking owing to de facto non-conference scheduling restrictions imposed by the Power 5.

The College leadership deserves enormous credit for this year’s non-conference slate. Still, would wager that Tribe could succeed beyond our wildest expectations vs. these opponents but drop a couple of games vs. the bottom half of the CAA and any at large hopes would evaporate. Suspect it would remind of a previous campaign when Tribe was rewarded with an away NIT game at a school whose arena was closed while in the middle of an embarrassing academic scandal. All animals are created equal...a 21st century Orwell could have a field day with the NCAA, but its behavior apparently goes unchallenged by those playing by the rules.

It may be the limited amount of push-back from mid-major commissioners reflects a concern they have more to lose than to gain collectively, and as individuals from some agitation. Maybe the fear is the Power 5 will pull the punch bowl away. Being a fan and donor is voluntary — strictly speaking these folks don’t owe me anything. I’ll remain a fan and donor. That said, would be grateful for some candor and transparency regarding the continued acquiescence to the status quo. The same holds true for the underpinnings of a decision to put the conference tournament in a 4200 seat arena.