CSNbbs
The XFL as a pre-draft proving ground? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: The XFL as a pre-draft proving ground? (/thread-846020.html)

The XFL as a pre-draft proving ground? - Fighting Muskie - 03-18-2018 03:39 PM

Would college players consider a spring league like the XFL as a means to make a little cash and boost their draft stock?

Think about it: it's a chance to put some money in their pockets and for guys who aren't projected first or second rounders it's a chance to shine and get on the radar of scouts, raising their draft value. The whole XFL season would begin after the bowls and wrap up and prior to draft day so it's feasible to fit in a year of XFL before rookie camp opens up.

Players could either have their credits lined up to graduate in December or leave school early and later take advantage of programs that many schools have for their athletes that allow them to come back and finish their degrees.

RE: The XFL as a pre-draft proving ground? - johnbragg - 03-18-2018 08:33 PM

It's logical. Whether or not it happens depends on how the XFL does. Right now, if I'm an agent, I'd steer my client away from the XFL if he projects in the first four rounds, never mind two.

XFL carries the risk of injury, the risk of looking bad, and right now there's not a lot of upside. The talent level is going to be higher than what you faced in college, which means you might be exposed, while nobody's going to know how to evaluate how an XFL star projects in the NFL.

If my client projects to be fighting for an NFL roster spot, THEN I send him to the XFL. Every NFL team is going to be scouting the XFL, so more film vs better competition can help him.

RE: The XFL as a pre-draft proving ground? - Stugray2 - 03-19-2018 12:37 PM

Football players have a 100% injury rate. Playing in a minimal pay league has far higher risk than reward