CSNbbs
Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Big12bbs (/forum-260.html)
+---- Forum: Big 12 Team Talk (/forum-783.html)
+----- Forum: The Gregory A. Ruehlmann Sr. Memorial Cincinnati Board (/forum-404.html)
+----- Thread: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada (/thread-845915.html)

Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - eroc - 03-17-2018 06:45 AM

6:10 p.m tip off on TNT. Go Bearcats!

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - Def Berkkat - 03-17-2018 07:22 AM

Virginia choked it off. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but we're now the highest seed left in the region.

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - OKIcat - 03-17-2018 07:40 AM

Go 'Cats! Top remaining seed in the South...

Random thoughts that made for a restless night:
1. Was Cumberland's scoring record yesterday an aberration or has he turned the page to become the emergent scoring leader?
2. Is Nevada's six man rotation gassed after that comeback and OT against a physical Texas team?
3. Is Clark physically okay after getting banged up yesterday?
4. Without looking at the box score, I'm thinking Williams, Moore and Broome were scoreless yesterday. Could UC advance if that continues?

I agree with those who suggest this feels like '92 with the #1 team in the country eliminated from our region last night. As much as I'd like to think about that, as a fan I hope the coaches and players have their eyes only on the prize before them tomorrow: a trip to the Sweet Sixteen and a week for contemplating some new "what if" questions.

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - BcatMatt13 - 03-17-2018 07:41 AM

For fans of the transitive property Nevada beat Wyoming by 9 at home and lost by 1 on the road to the Cowboys.

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - doss2 - 03-17-2018 08:01 AM

(03-17-2018 07:40 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Go 'Cats! Top remaining seed in the South...

1. Was Cumberland's scoring record yesterday an aberration or has he turned the page to become the emergent scoring leader?
2. Is Nevada's six man rotation gassed after that comeback and OT against a physical Texas team?
4. Without looking at the box score, I'm thinking Williams, Moore and Broome were scoreless yesterday. Could UC advance if that continues?

I agree with those who suggest this feels like '92 with the #1 team in the country eliminated from our region last night. As much as I'd like to think about that, as a fan I hope the coaches and players have their eyes only on the prize before them tomorrow: a trip to the Sweet Sixteen and a week for contemplating some new "what if" questions.

I thought Moore was supposed to be a hot shooter, hell Quadri Moore shot better.

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - doss2 - 03-17-2018 08:03 AM

(03-17-2018 07:41 AM)BcatMatt13 Wrote:  For fans of the transitive property Nevada beat Wyoming by 9 at home and lost by 1 on the road to the Cowboys.

And we beat Wyoming by 25 on a neutral court.

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - Bearcats#1 - 03-17-2018 08:10 AM

I see this as one of those games UC will have to weather for a bit. Nevada can shoot and so they probably come out hitting shots and I imagine look really good in the first half. But we are a plodding body puncher. Those types don't look great early in fights but as the fight wears on, the plodding body puncher takes over as the body blows begin to have their effect.

I see UC banging and hanging until midway through the second half and then we grind them into the ground....Nevada's legs go which means their shots start bricking, giving us more rebounds and points on the other end. Nevada has no answer as they have no depth we win going away.

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - OKIcat - 03-17-2018 08:19 AM

(03-17-2018 08:10 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I see this as one of those games UC will have to weather for a bit. Nevada can shoot and so they probably come out hitting shots and I imagine look really good in the first half. But we are a plodding body puncher. Those types don't look great early in fights but as the fight wears on, the plodding body puncher takes over as the body blows begin to have their effect.

I see UC banging and hanging until midway through the second half and then we grind them into the ground....Nevada's legs go which means their shots start bricking, giving us more rebounds and points on the other end. Nevada has no answer as they have no depth we win going away.

I think your analysis is spot on. The key statement, bolded above, is hanging early. It would be refreshing to dominate early and watch Nevada's guys get tight and clang those long jumpers. But that's not been the 'Cats method and so the boxing analogy will likely hold.

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - doss2 - 03-17-2018 08:29 AM

The line is UC -7

Take UC and give the points.

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - Bearcats#1 - 03-17-2018 08:31 AM

Surprised its 7. I was thinking UC by 11.

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - bearcatlawjd2 - 03-17-2018 08:36 AM

(03-17-2018 08:19 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 08:10 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  I see this as one of those games UC will have to weather for a bit. Nevada can shoot and so they probably come out hitting shots and I imagine look really good in the first half. But we are a plodding body puncher. Those types don't look great early in fights but as the fight wears on, the plodding body puncher takes over as the body blows begin to have their effect.

I think your analysis is spot on. The key statement, bolded above, is hanging early. It would be refreshing to dominate early and watch Nevada's guys get tight and clang those long jumpers. But that's not been the 'Cats method and so the boxing analogy will likely hold.

I disagree, I have followed the Mountain West this season and Nevada has been a second half team in the games against the most difficult teams.

Recent games:

Texas -9 first half, +9 second half
SDSU -30 first half +13 second half
UNLV -8 first half, + 13 second half
SDSU -2 first half -3 second half

Same holds for their losses to San Francisco, Wyoming and TCU. Also take a look at that wins over Davidson, Wyoming and Air Force. Weaker first half, stronger second half.

You can't look at their games against garbage teams but I still think this is a game that UC will be need to up something like 38-26 at the half and then needs to withstand Nevada's second half push. I see this game as a 72-65 UC win. If Nevada does go cold all game UC wins this going away like they did the UCLA game this season.

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - Bearcats#1 - 03-17-2018 08:44 AM

(03-17-2018 08:36 AM)bearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  

I disagree, I have followed the Mountain West this season and Nevada has been a second half team in the games against the most difficult teams.

Recent games:

Same holds for their losses to San Francisco, Wyoming and TCU. Also take a look at that wins over Davidson, Wyoming and Air Force. Weaker first half, stronger second half.

You can't look at their games against garbage teams but I still think this is a game that UC will be need to up something like 38-26 at the half and then needs to withstand Nevada's second half push. I see this game as a 72-65 UC win. If Nevada does go cold all game UC wins this going away like they did the UCLA game this season.

great input...but have they faced a punishing 'beat you up' defense like UC's?

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - doss2 - 03-17-2018 08:54 AM

(03-17-2018 08:31 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Surprised its 7. I was thinking UC by 11.

I was surprised also. This was the line I Google'd.

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - jarr - 03-17-2018 09:05 AM

(03-17-2018 08:44 AM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

Recent games:

SanDiego St always plays tough D. What did they do against them?

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - jarr - 03-17-2018 09:11 AM

(03-17-2018 09:05 AM)jarr Wrote:  

Recent games:

Ok just checked their schedule. They played SDS 3 teams and lost 1 of 2. They also played Texas Tech who bbn is a very good defensive team and lost. They also split with Wyoming who be up on in the Cayman.

Interestingly they still scored alot of points in all of the see games. TT won 82-76. So this tells me they will score the ball even against good D.

As long as we can hit open shots we will be ok. They domt play good Defenwe

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - ucbrownsfan - 03-17-2018 09:18 AM

The good thing for us with Nevada is the teams that have played the best against us, are the teams with an alpha borderline NBA quality guard that can create his own shot. Nevada seems to be an inside out team, that funnels everything through the guy Clark will be guarding the most. Also interesting to see former teammates play against each other in the tournament... with neither being on the original team, not sure how often that happens.

NC St fans must be cringing watching this game. 3 very good players all left NC St, and then Clark was from the area.

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - CincyBro - 03-17-2018 09:56 AM

(03-17-2018 09:11 AM)jarr Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 09:05 AM)jarr Wrote:  
(03-17-2018 08:19 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  I think your analysis is spot on. The key statement, bolded above, is hanging early. It would be refreshing to dominate early and watch Nevada's guys get tight and clang those long jumpers. But that's not been the 'Cats method and so the boxing analogy will likely hold.

Recent games:

Ok just checked their schedule. They played SDS 3 teams and lost 1 of 2. They also played Texas Tech who bbn is a very good defensive team and lost. They also split with Wyoming who be up on in the Cayman.

Interestingly they still scored alot of points in all of the see games. TT won 82-76. So this tells me they will score the ball even against good D.

As long as we can hit open shots we will be ok. They domt play good Defenwe

No truer words have been said.......04-cheers

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - UCGrad1992 - 03-17-2018 10:06 AM

This is the NCAAT. Anyone can beat on a given day. Ask Zona. Ask Virginia. Survive and advance is all it's about now. No style points. Just find a way to win by 1 point. I like the way that Cumberland is playing. You ride the horse with the hot hand and he may supplant Evans for now as our big time scoring threat. What hasn't been mentioned is Gary continues to be a problem - he "quietly" had another double double and I like Kyle's energy and mean face to keep the team loose and energized. I saw no panic in the team yesterday. Jenifer is proving to all the naysayers his value on this team - taking care of the ball and playing good defense. Broome will get his points before it's all said and done. Jacob almost had a double, double yesterday too. I realize he is less than 100% but he can still give us quality minutes.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned is wasn't Georgia State one of the better shooting treyland teams in the NCAA this year? Do you dudes realize they shot 8 of 27 (29.6%) and we shot 9 of 30 (30.0%) from beyond the arc. We're pretty good defending against the trey because of our length and athletic ability to recover on the shooter so teams can't just jack up treys against us expecting to win. Our defense is special and it forces teams out of what makes them comfortable. Now, if we're going to play Nova, Dook, Michigan State, etc., then we're having a different conversation because those teams have elite level talent.

I also like the fact that over the last 5 games the Cats are 5-0 and the Voolf Pack is 3-2. You want to be peaking at the right time.

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - mptnstr@44 - 03-17-2018 10:09 AM

(03-17-2018 07:40 AM)OKIcat Wrote:  Go 'Cats! Top remaining seed in the South...

Was there in Nashville for the afternoon session. Drove down and back...

1) Evidently GSU trash talked Jarron and he took it personally and decided to "Show them". And he did. If Simonds is an NBA player then Jarron looked every inch the NBA player too. He was great and UC really needed him. On the Court he had the look of "I'm not letting my team lose today."

2) The Wolfpack only play 6 and were up and down the Court against Texas. They also had to fight hard to come back and then had to play OT. Unless their conditioning is stellar or they are Supermen I would expect hands on their hips at around 10 left in the second half tomorrow. Mick should play fast and sub literally gas the Wolfpack run Nevada out of the gym.

3) Nothing in the postgame indicated Gary isn't good to go tomorrow. Now whether Mick would show his cards if Gary wasn't???

4) This team doesn't need everyone to contribute just enough of them. In some ways not knowing who is going to score is frustrating as a fan but has to be even more frustrating for the opponent's coach...who do you plan to shut down on UC? Any of them CAN score especially if there is a mismatch.

Won't compare this year to 92 (don't want to jinx them)
However if UK were to go down today...dare I wish it?????
if that happens maybe we have some help and magic this year...
In 92 things just fell right for UC.

RE: Game Thread: No. 2 Cincinnati vs. No. 7 Nevada - CincyBro - 03-17-2018 10:13 AM

Right now the current % to win the NCAA tourney is listed as Villanova 20%, Duke 11% and UC as 10%. Those are the top three. 04-cheers