CSNbbs
Penny to Memphis? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Penny to Memphis? (/thread-844701.html)

Penny to Memphis? - WesternBlazer - 03-06-2018 04:55 PM

Tubby Smith out, Penny Hardaway in? The rumor has become a mania.
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/columnists/geoff-calkins/2018/03/06/tubby-smith-out-penny-hardaway/400065002/

Tubby Smith, Memphis basketball program to be evaluated after season, university President David Rudd says
https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/memphis-tigers/basketball/2018/03/06/memphis-president-david-rudd-tubby-smith-basketball-program-evaluated-after-season/399441002/

I know many want this to happen and that Tubby's buyout may be the only reason he's still coach, but MB, how much of a possibility is this?

RE: Penny to Memphis? - UAB Band Dad - 03-06-2018 07:02 PM

Well, at least Tubby didn't get the dreaded vote of confidence from the Memphis President.

RE: Penny to Memphis? - Motley Blazer - 03-06-2018 07:15 PM

Will Boyce try to get out of his NLI if Penny is hired?

RE: Penny to Memphis? - Memphis Blazer - 03-06-2018 07:42 PM

It's going to cost something like 10 million to get rid of Tubby this year. Unless he just walks, he isn't going anywhere. And the fan base has a boner for Penny, but it seems like it would be an unmitigated disaster. He has never coached college. He has recruited, because he recruited the high school team he has 03-lmfao He has basically coached these guys since middle school then onto high school. His experience coaching has been only with one group of guys for the most part.

Penny needs to go be an assistant coach somewhere first, but his ego won't allow that.

I see Penny going to Ole Miss or an assistant to Calipari before I see him at Memphis.

RE: Penny to Memphis? - UAB Band Dad - 03-06-2018 08:27 PM

Tubby's buyout is $9.7m, but it is payable over six years. Their attendance has been so bad that they're having to pay something like $800k to the FedEx Center this year as well.

Has Penny coached any AAU, or just at East?

RE: Penny to Memphis? - WesternBlazer - 03-06-2018 08:38 PM

(03-06-2018 07:15 PM)Motley Blazer Wrote:  Will Boyce try to get out of his NLI if Penny is hired?

That's my concern...

RE: Penny to Memphis? - WesternBlazer - 03-06-2018 08:51 PM

Memphis officials seriously considering Penny Hardaway to replace Tubby Smith
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/memphis-officials-seriously-considering-penny-hardaway-to-replace-tubby-smith/

"The former NBA star has started identifying possible staff members, including Hall of Famer Larry Brown"

RE: Penny to Memphis? - BlazerPhil - 03-06-2018 09:10 PM

Sounds like it'll be a 10 million dollar coaching payroll, a 5 million player payroll; will make Louisville green with envy and get Memphis hoops the death penalty for good in 4 years. Oh and they'll have 5 chiefs and no indians on the coaching staff. That will be hilarious to watch.

I can't wait !

RE: Penny to Memphis? - Big Dee - 03-06-2018 09:11 PM

(03-06-2018 07:42 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  It's going to cost something like 10 million to get rid of Tubby this year. Unless he just walks, he isn't going anywhere. And the fan base has a boner for Penny, but it seems like it would be an unmitigated disaster. He has never coached college. He has recruited, because he recruited the high school team he has 03-lmfao He has basically coached these guys since middle school then onto high school. His experience coaching has been only with one group of guys for the most part.

Penny needs to go be an assistant coach somewhere first, but his ego won't allow that.

I see Penny going to Ole Miss or an assistant to Calipari before I see him at Memphis.

Lol

RE: Penny to Memphis? - WesternBlazer - 03-06-2018 09:16 PM

(03-06-2018 07:42 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  It's going to cost something like 10 million to get rid of Tubby this year. Unless he just walks, he isn't going anywhere. And the fan base has a boner for Penny, but it seems like it would be an unmitigated disaster. He has never coached college. He has recruited, because he recruited the high school team he has 03-lmfao He has basically coached these guys since middle school then onto high school. His experience coaching has been only with one group of guys for the most part.

Which is why his quickest path to "success" would be to recruit (or get them to break their LOIs) the best of his high school and AAU teams, including Boyce, Freeman, and his 2019 top 3 player...

RE: Penny to Memphis? - UAB Band Dad - 03-06-2018 09:16 PM

You laugh, but Penny has flat refused an asst. job at Memphis more than once. If they don't hire him, I can see him going to UK as an assistant and taking those lovely recruits with him. There are far worse first lines on an NCAA resume than "Assistant Coach, Kentucky Wildcats".

Cal might sack him after one season once the recruits are in the bag, though.

RE: Penny to Memphis? - Big Dee - 03-06-2018 10:25 PM

(03-06-2018 09:16 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  You laugh, but Penny has flat refused an asst. job at Memphis more than once. If they don't hire him, I can see him going to UK as an assistant and taking those lovely recruits with him. There are far worse first lines on an NCAA resume than "Assistant Coach, Kentucky Wildcats".

Cal might sack him after one season once the recruits are in the bag, though.

I actually like the idea. Huge Penny fan growing up had his black Orlando magic jersey, also a pair of his shoes. Hope he gets the job.

RE: Penny to Memphis? - Rebounder2u - 03-06-2018 10:54 PM

Boyce will play his freshmen year at UAB. If Penny get a head coaching job, Boyce may want to follow but would have to sit, and top players dont want to sit.. Memphis isnt buying Smith out, this year, when they can wait another year and save millions.

RE: Penny to Memphis? - Tampa Bay Tiger - 03-06-2018 11:12 PM

Tubby is done.

RE: Penny to Memphis? - cotton1991 - 03-07-2018 06:21 AM

Imo, by failing to put the kabosh on this, the administration has now let the fire Tubby-hire Penny buzz go on too long for Memphis not to do it without major egg on its face. So, I suspect he's gone. I'm surprised because I thought he'd get another year, with the same poor results though, and then be fired.

The close to $10 million owed can be paid over 6 yrs. I would expect a big increase in season ticket sales to cover a good chunk of that.

Don't know about Brown. Maybe that's the sticking point with the admin.

Good luck in Frisco. It would be great if you could win it while MT gets an at large.

RE: Penny to Memphis? - Memphis Blazer - 03-07-2018 12:36 PM

Not everyone is happy. Some good points

Quote:CV on a rant this morning:

@ChrisVernonShow
Quick sermon this morning. Please take your seats...

@ChrisVernonShow
Everyone knows I campaigned for Penny to get the job long ago. With that said, this whole Tubby Smith situation is absolutely disgusting. I'm proud and happy about what football has become at Memphis - but I get so sick of hearing how "smart people" run things at Memphis (1/5)

@ChrisVernonShow
Those “smart people” gave Pastner an absurd extension (which was freakin investigated). They lied completely about not knowing attendance numbers years ago, yet somehow know it all now. They sat there while interest in Tiger bball absolutely cratered (2/5)

@ChrisVernonShow
Then...those “smart people” hired Tubby in this first place and gave him an enormous contract. Now they are hanging one of the most respected men in the sport out to dry while the season is still going on and kids have one last chance at a run. (3/5)

@ChrisVernonShow
But the admins will talk to people on cell phones, leak news, and care what local media thinks and say so get a pass. It's disgraceful what they are doing to him. When Pastner needed them ripped over scheduling w/o his say, or travel... they weren't "smart people" (4/5)

@ChrisVernonShow
They should be getting demolished for this ridiculousness, but media so invested in runnin Tubby out of town that they *****-foot around fact that this is not how it is done. “Smart people” - outta my face. They are jerks for letting this happen this way. Sermon over. (5/5)

RE: Penny to Memphis? - Tampa Bay Tiger - 03-07-2018 01:11 PM

Most are. I could see why you aren’t :)

RE: Penny to Memphis? - UAB Band Dad - 03-07-2018 01:32 PM

We're in different conferences now. No skin off our nose either way.

Would I enjoy a touch of schadenfreude if Penny were hired and fell on his face, or not hired and took an AC job at UK and brought the recruits? Sure... but mostly I'm pretty neutral and just watching with interest.

RE: Penny to Memphis? - Tampa Bay Tiger - 03-07-2018 01:57 PM

Oh I agree. It could work or it won’t. I do wonder if Boyce will try to get out of his LOI.

RE: Penny to Memphis? - UAB Band Dad - 03-07-2018 05:24 PM

Hush yo' mouth! 05-mafia