CSNbbs
Cinderella Team - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Cinderella Team (/thread-844247.html)

Pages: 1 2

Cinderella Team - jmudukes - 03-02-2018 08:24 AM

Will JMU be the cinderella team this year and bring home the glass slipper.
Not impossible!

RE: Cinderella Team - BleedingPurple - 03-02-2018 08:50 AM

(03-02-2018 08:24 AM)jmudukes Wrote:  Will JMU be the cinderella team this year and bring home the glass slipper.
Not impossible!

Agree, but not realistic either. We simply don't know how to win.

RE: Cinderella Team - JMUNation - 03-02-2018 09:59 AM

I understand that 10 wins is not a great season but this team has the opportunity to build for the future. When a bunch of Freshman lose early then go 6-6 over the last 12 games of the season, then I think we have a group that is learning to win. Against Elon they stepped to the line and made their FTs late to seal the victory. These kids have gutted out some wins in close games along with their losses so we can’t say they don’t know how to win. They just have not won at a high percentage yet. I believe it is coming.

Next year’s success will depend on how much Jones, Wilson and Jacobs improve. I believe Jacobs and Jones are highly motivated. I don’t see it in Wilson. His weight is an issue yet he has the best frame of the group. Can you imagine him at 240 lbs and muscle? Scary for the rest of the CAA to think about. Long shot for him to drop the weight because I imagine he has been overweight his entire life. It isn’t easy for any of us to change our habits but we can dream...right?

RE: Cinderella Team - JMad03 - 03-02-2018 10:03 AM

Here's a pretty shocking statistic (but not really):
This year's team has not won more than two games in a row.

Not being a hater, just trying to be realistic. This team isn't ready. Next year? Who knows, but it isn't going to be this year. I've been hoping for the Dukes to prove me wrong all season and they haven't, so I'm sticking with it.

RE: Cinderella Team - AssyrianDuke - 03-02-2018 12:51 PM

The 2016 Men's Soccer team was a young team made up of underclassmen. They started the season rough, but came on at the end of the year winning a few games and narrowly missing the CAAT. This past fall, they won the CAA Regular Season title. Sounds familiar... let's see how MBB writes their ending.

RE: Cinderella Team - jmudukes - 03-02-2018 02:08 PM

(03-02-2018 10:03 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  Here's a pretty shocking statistic (but not really):

Not being a hater, just trying to be realistic. This team isn't ready. Next year? Who knows, but it isn't going to be this year. I've been hoping for the Dukes to prove me wrong all season and they haven't, so I'm sticking with it.

who are you to say that this team is not ready -

RE: Cinderella Team - BleedingPurple - 03-02-2018 02:31 PM

(03-02-2018 02:08 PM)jmudukes Wrote:  
(03-02-2018 10:03 AM)JMad03 Wrote:  Here's a pretty shocking statistic (but not really):

jmudukes, apparently you seem to think different, sway me to your way of thinking. JMad03 gave a pretty convincing argument, let's see what ya got.

RE: Cinderella Team - jmudukes - 03-02-2018 02:49 PM

(03-02-2018 02:31 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

jmudukes, apparently you seem to think different, sway me to your way of thinking. JMad03 gave a pretty convincing argument, let's see what ya got.

Because everybody is beating everybody; we lost in OT to William and Mary and Charleston and then lost by a couple here and a few here. The only team that blew us out was Hofstra on senior night and we could not buy a shot that night. It's anybody's tournament. From top to bottom. No one is a power house. It will take 3 things - defense, stay out of foul trouble and make your shots - whoever does this the best will win it! I take pride in my team - win or lose! I don't like for anyone to put them down!

RE: Cinderella Team - jmuduke10 - 03-02-2018 04:38 PM

(03-02-2018 02:49 PM)jmudukes Wrote:  

Because everybody is beating everybody; we lost in OT to William and Mary and Charleston and then lost by a couple here and a few here. The only team that blew us out was Hofstra on senior night and we could not buy a shot that night. It's anybody's tournament. From top to bottom. No one is a power house. It will take 3 things - defense, stay out of foul trouble and make your shots - whoever does this the best will win it! I take pride in my team - win or lose! I don't like for anyone to put them down!

Saying this team has not one two in a row is not putting them down, its being realistic and factual. Hell I'll be relaxing on the couch with a cold one and rooting on the guys for as long as we play this weekend, but I cant honestly say I have much hope of seeing them playing on monday. Hope they prove me wrong.

RE: Cinderella Team - BleedingPurple - 03-02-2018 06:08 PM

(03-02-2018 04:38 PM)jmuduke10 Wrote:  
(03-02-2018 02:49 PM)jmudukes Wrote:  

Saying this team has not one two in a row is not putting them down, its being realistic and factual. Hell I'll be relaxing on the couch with a cold one and rooting on the guys for as long as we play this weekend, but I cant honestly say I have much hope of seeing them playing on monday. Hope they prove me wrong.

Sort of like hoping RU would have to punt the football against us in 2015. He may as well stayed home and watched the game on TV. There was .001% chance he'd see any action. Yet we had lots of prayers as the game was coming to a close.

RE: Cinderella Team - JMad03 - 03-02-2018 09:08 PM

Nowhere did I belittle this team or question their character or Coach Rowe's. I don't believe this team has the experience or total team talent THIS YEAR to magically go on a winning streak. When their longest streak is TWO GAMES (versus Elon and Drexel) and haven't beaten a team with a higher seed than Towson, that's not a good sign. This team has yet to prove they could WIN against a team in the upper half of the league, let alone anyone else.
Add on the pressure of the playoffs. Things don't get easier from here. They get much tougher. A team with a history of struggling to win close games is not an indication of sudden success.
The team is just too young to suddenly turn on the heat and do something they haven't done all season. If they do, I'll be the first to chime and and admit I was completely wrong. Sadly, I don't think that will be the case.

RE: Cinderella Team - Rock House Duke - 03-03-2018 08:40 AM

I think Jmudukes is lexduke. Their post carry the same optimism about our Men's basketball program.

Go Purple Mumps!

RE: Cinderella Team - Longhorn - 03-03-2018 12:45 PM

(03-02-2018 09:59 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  I understand that 10 wins is not a great season but this team has the opportunity to build for the future. When a bunch of Freshman lose early then go 6-6 over the last 12 games of the season, then I think we have a group that is learning to win. Against Elon they stepped to the line and made their FTs late to seal the victory. These kids have gutted out some wins in close games along with their losses so we can’t say they don’t know how to win. They just have not won at a high percentage yet. I believe it is coming.

Next year’s success will depend on how much Jones, Wilson and Jacobs improve. I believe Jacobs and Jones are highly motivated. I don’t see it in Wilson. His weight is an issue yet he has the best frame of the group. Can you imagine him at 240 lbs and muscle? Scary for the rest of the CAA to think about. Long shot for him to drop the weight because I imagine he has been overweight his entire life. It isn’t easy for any of us to change our habits but we can dream...right?

I would have liked to have read your critique of Charles Barkley.

Wilson is a baller. Plain and simple. He deserves and needs more minutes.

RE: Cinderella Team - Rock House Duke - 03-03-2018 01:05 PM

I agree with LH. I think Wilson is our most effeciant/impactful player per minutes played. He fills up a stat line just playing 10-15 minutes a game.

RE: Cinderella Team - Dukes84 - 03-03-2018 02:30 PM

(03-02-2018 09:08 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  

Nowhere did I belittle this team or question their character or Coach Rowe's. I don't believe this team has the experience or total team talent THIS YEAR to magically go on a winning streak. When their longest streak is TWO GAMES (versus Elon and Drexel) and haven't beaten a team with a higher seed than Towson, that's not a good sign. This team has yet to prove they could WIN against a team in the upper half of the league, let alone anyone else.
Add on the pressure of the playoffs. Things don't get easier from here. They get much tougher. A team with a history of struggling to win close games is not an indication of sudden success.
The team is just too young to suddenly turn on the heat and do something they haven't done all season. If they do, I'll be the first to chime and and admit I was completely wrong. Sadly, I don't think that will be the case.

Well said. Best case I see for JMU this postseason is winning one game. If you want a Cinderella team, I'd go with W&M this year. They have a terrific sophomore class by the way, with three guys having impactful seasons, led by Nathan Knight. JMU has a long way to go to become a player in the CAA.

RE: Cinderella Team - dukeDoom - 03-03-2018 06:12 PM

bump

RE: Cinderella Team - BleedingPurple - 03-04-2018 09:12 AM

(03-03-2018 06:12 PM)dukeDoom Wrote:  bump

I think we all know how this played out. Some go blind when putting on their purple glasses and find it difficult to see the Dukes are loved by all of us. We all had a friend as a young child who's mother thought her child was born with no flaws and perfect in every way.

RE: Cinderella Team - JMUSteeler - 03-04-2018 11:52 AM

(03-03-2018 08:40 AM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  I think Jmudukes is lexduke. Their post carry the same optimism about our Men's basketball program.

Go Purple Mumps!

jmudukes is my mother-in-law, who has transitioned to her 3rd incarnation on the boards. She definitely roots.

RE: Cinderella Team - BleedingPurple - 03-04-2018 07:12 PM

(03-04-2018 11:52 AM)JMUSteeler Wrote:  
(03-03-2018 08:40 AM)Rock House Duke Wrote:  I think Jmudukes is lexduke. Their post carry the same optimism about our Men's basketball program.

Go Purple Mumps!

jmudukes is my mother-in-law, who has transitioned to her 3rd incarnation on the boards. She definitely roots.

This is perfectly clear, it's the why she thinks others don't is the concern.

RE: Cinderella Team - JMUSteeler - 03-05-2018 06:59 AM

(03-04-2018 07:12 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(03-04-2018 11:52 AM)JMUSteeler Wrote:  

Go Purple Mumps!

This is perfectly clear, it's the why she thinks others don't is the concern.

Good question, I certainly don't have an answer. I've never understood the idea of telling someone else how to root, or coming on a sports message board if you don't want to participate in realistic conversations.