CSNbbs
NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal (/thread-843334.html)

Pages: 1 2

NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - nogretheogre - 02-20-2018 12:53 PM

The fallout begins:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2760511-louisville-basketball-must-vacate-wins-pay-fine-after-eligibility-infractions?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22513517/ncaa-denies-louisville-appeal-rules-cardinals-vacate-2013-national-title

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - dan10 - 02-21-2018 09:15 AM

This really is for something different and has no ties to the latest fallout. This is all about the strippers being paid for by the program for current players and incoming recruits. This doesnt have to do yet with the FBI probe. I think the NCAA is using this case as a way to try and gain confidence in everyone that they will make strong stands against top tier programs (even if not a blue blood).

Hopefully a lot more comes from the FBI probes and the hammers come down.

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - nj alum - 02-23-2018 07:28 AM

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/exclusive-federal-documents-detail-sweeping-potential-ncaa-violations-involving-high-profile-players-schools-103338484.html?__twitter_impression=true

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - TribePride52 - 02-24-2018 12:32 AM

Arizona’s Sean Miler was caught by the FBI in attempt to give DeAndre Ayton 100k for going to Arizona. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22559284/sean-miller-arizona-christian-dawkins-discussed-payment-ensure-deandre-ayton-signing-according-fbi-investigation?sf182924002=1

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - WMtribe17 - 02-24-2018 12:39 AM

Can only imagine how much Kentucky, UNC, and Duke pay their players to come to their school

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - tribeintexas - 02-24-2018 01:08 AM

Duke and Coach K's involvement would be shocking.

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - TribePride52 - 02-24-2018 01:18 AM

(02-24-2018 01:08 AM)tribeintexas Wrote:  Duke and Coach K's involvement would be shocking.

Wendell Carter was paid 108$ by that Dawkins guy FWIW.

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - Swemster - 02-24-2018 04:03 AM

(02-24-2018 01:18 AM)TribePride52 Wrote:  
(02-24-2018 01:08 AM)tribeintexas Wrote:  Duke and Coach K's involvement would be shocking.

Wendell Carter was paid 108$ by that Dawkins guy FWIW.

This is inaccurate. The agent paid for a meal he had with Carter's mom, which came out to just over $106. This doesn't even provide definitive proof that he paid for Ms. Carter's meal-- just that he paid $106 worth of the tab at a Long Horn Steakhouse (some of the bill was likely his own, parts of it could have been colleagues, etc. for whom he paid). The same situation is the case with Malcolm Brogdon's situation. Not a whole lot to see with either of these instances, as per NCAA bylaws the players' eligibility is not in question unless the benefit received exceeds $200.

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - The Doctor Is In - 02-24-2018 11:55 AM

Tribe members, for what it's worth, a fellow fan from Old Dominion University shares many of your thoughts. I also believe that there is an ulterior motive as to recent reports being produced by the NCAA. That being that there is institutional support within that body for paying more/higher stipends to student athletes. I have been against this practice whose supporters presumably believe that such a practice would eliminate the under the table payments that are the scourge of college athletics. Anyone who believes that a system based on stipends is simply not informed.

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - B_Hawk06 - 02-24-2018 12:59 PM

(02-24-2018 11:55 AM)The Doctor Is In Wrote:  Tribe members, for what it's worth, a fellow fan from Old Dominion University shares many of your thoughts. I also believe that there is an ulterior motive as to recent reports being produced by the NCAA. That being that there is institutional support within that body for paying more/higher stipends to student athletes. I have been against this practice whose supporters presumably believe that such a practice would eliminate the under the table payments that are the scourge of college athletics. Anyone who believes that a system based on stipends is simply not informed.

Absolutely agree.

My take is the NBA should follow the lead of MLB. If players want their shot at the NBA right out of HS, let them. However, if they choose school they must be a student for three years.

This whole garbage about paying student athletes is absurd. If they think they're good enough to be paid, but not good enough to be in the NBA... hire an agent and go play overseas. Simple as that.

This whole issue stems a lot from the NFL and NCAA football. However, perhaps football could follow the same lead once the Arena league comes back. If those kids want to go "pro" and get a paycheck out of HS... let them try out for the NFL or Arena. If not... NCAA for three seasons.

I get that the NCAA is making money off the students. Some of the schools are as well. However, a lot of those students are getting something for free that I spent over 10 years of my career after college paying for, not including the part and full time jobs I held during college to pay for living expenses, books, etc. There's a lot of "give me, give me, give me" in our culture now and less actually thinking about and understanding responsibility and appreciation for what you have.

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - LeadBolt - 02-25-2018 12:32 PM

I've thought that all sports should go to the baseball model for sometime. It makes sense, for all but the very biggest collegiate names who get a year out of the one and dones. Oh wait, I see where the fallacy in my logic lies now as I type it out...

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - Naptown Tribe - 02-25-2018 10:02 PM

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-commonwealth-university/report-ncaa-investigating-will-wade-s-recruiting-methods-dating-back/article_949abd19-349d-59da-a10f-e8a6d0ac6738.html

VCU getting looked at by NCAA for Will Wade’s recruiting tactics while he was there.

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - dan10 - 02-26-2018 10:42 AM

If they want to solve this issue the NFL and NBA need to create a legit minor league system like baseball and hockey and those other sports. Until they are willing to dish out money for a minor league system, corruption and ways around the system will always be in place. Mixing the lines of amateurism in the NCAA while acting as the minor league system has always been a dicey line. As the tv money has grown in the sports bubble the line has become blurrier and blurrier. It needs to be addressed.

NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - Tribal - 02-26-2018 11:11 AM

The NBA has the D League.

Some would say the CFL or Arena FB is the minor league.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - mrjoolius - 02-26-2018 11:29 AM

(02-26-2018 11:11 AM)Tribal Wrote:  The NBA has the D League.

Some would say the CFL or Arena FB is the minor league.

Are high school kids eligible for the D/G League right out of high school, or are they required to do their 1 college year before turning pro? As long as there is little interest by these kids in attending college with the main goal being a pro, you will have bidding wars for the millions of dollars at stake in TV revenue and NCAA Money. It is high stakes, and canning a few coaches for paying kids will have little impact on the money grab.

NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - Tribal - 02-26-2018 12:23 PM

If a player from high school, college or overseas enters the NBA G League without ever having declared for the NBA Draft, he will also join the waiver pool. That player remains NBA Draft-eligible but is not eligible to be called up to the NBA.

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - mrjoolius - 02-26-2018 12:41 PM

(02-26-2018 12:23 PM)Tribal Wrote:  If a player from high school, college or overseas enters the NBA G League without ever having declared for the NBA Draft, he will also join the waiver pool. That player remains NBA Draft-eligible but is not eligible to be called up to the NBA.

So, a high school kid could go straight to to the G League from high school, earn a minimum of $75k, and still be draft eligible. That sounds like a decent option for the non-academic, provided the kid wouldn't be paid more in college. The only downside for the kid (not the NBA side) is that they would lose that pre-pro hype leading to the draft. Coming from the G League, they would be 18 year olds competing against grown men trying to make it to the NBA. In college those kids could shine for that 1 year.

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - nogretheogre - 03-05-2018 12:24 PM

Possible major structural fallout regarding NBA, player development and college basketball.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22615784/nba-making-plans-get-involved-high-school-level-once-again-espn

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - bubbadog57 - 03-05-2018 02:30 PM

Three ways to end the "one and done":

*Bring back freshman teams with players not eligible to play until soph year

*As in college baseball, players can't sign with professional team until after three years

*NBA can sign young players directly out of high school a la MLB

RE: NCAA and FBI: P5 scandal - Rocco - 03-05-2018 02:56 PM

(03-05-2018 02:30 PM)BigTribe3 Wrote:  Three ways to end the "one and done":

*Bring back freshman teams with players not eligible to play until soph year

*As in college baseball, players can't sign with professional team until after three years

*NBA can sign young players directly out of high school a la MLB

The last two things are things only the NBA can do, and the first is a bad idea.