CSNbbs
AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami (/thread-842619.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - chiefsfan - 02-12-2018 12:47 PM

Miami has informed us they have zero intention of paying the 650K buyout for the cancelled game in September. We've in turn offered a set of dates for a possible rescheduled game that both schools have open. Miami has refused to play on those dates

They have until Thursday to change course on one of those issues, or the suit will be filed.

http://www.kait8.com/story/37484717/a-state-to-sue-miami-if-payment-not-made-for-cancelled-game

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - Saint3333 - 02-12-2018 12:51 PM

So I guess the lawyers win!

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - ApexRedWolf - 02-12-2018 12:53 PM

Live look at A-State-Miami negotiations...
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5567351]

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - TrojanNation - 02-12-2018 12:54 PM

At this point, what wpuld you rather have? A home game with Miami or the $650k?

I believe a win over Miami is worth more than $650k. But a loss? What kinda game day rev does Ark St produce for a sellout?

Personally i would rather have the home game, win lose or draw. The build up and gameday experience for a home sellout would seem to be worth more than 650k winor lose.

Hopefully this gets resolved quickly, either way.

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - chiefsfan - 02-12-2018 12:55 PM

(02-12-2018 12:51 PM)Saint3333 Wrote:  So I guess the lawyers win!

That's what we pay them for!

Most of this comes down to the "Act of God" clause in the original game contract. Miami claims that the Hurricane has made it where they do not have to pay. AState's counter is that the clause was for weather in Jonesboro, or something that made travel impossible. Miami ended up leaving the city anyway during the hurricane, they just flew to Atlanta instead of Jonesboro.

We've lost something in the 7 figure range from ticket refunds to loss of revenue from that game, and want our money back.

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - chiefsfan - 02-12-2018 12:57 PM

(02-12-2018 12:54 PM)TrojanNation Wrote:  At this point, what wpuld you rather have? A home game with Miami or the $650k?

I believe a win over Miami is worth more than $650k. But a loss? What kinda game day rev does Ark St produce for a sellout?

Personally i would rather have the home game, win lose or draw. The build up and gameday experience for a home sellout would seem to be worth more than 650k winor lose.

Hopefully this gets resolved quickly, either way.

School won't ever fully admit what we make revenue wise off a big home game, but when we played Missouri a couple years earlier and St. Louis wanted us to move the game, we quoted a price of over 2 million dollars.

My guess is Economic impact would be around 2 million for a sellout.

Date Negotiations are tricky here: Both school have common open dates in 2020 and 2022. However Miami has refused to play on those days because it would mean playing two road OOC games in a season. They've countered with dates about 10 years down the road from now, but we've balked because no one actually believes they would play a game scheduled that far off. I've heard a rumor that we've indicated a willingness to accept a reduced buyout in exchange for a separate home and home scheduled in the future. But we don't want a situation where Miami randomly has to come to Jonesboro in 9 or 10 years, when both schools will probably have new coaches and administrations in place.

AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - ark30inf - 02-12-2018 12:58 PM

They are asses. They essentially got a free home buy game from us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - stAte_3 - 02-12-2018 01:07 PM

Miami has open dates we offered to reschedule to, but they are refusing.

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - sdcritter - 02-12-2018 01:14 PM

Like I needed any new reasons to hate those thugs.

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - chiefsfan - 02-12-2018 01:40 PM

The full letter AState sent Miami is included with the Article

Highlights:

1. Miami does not dispute they could have traveled and played in Jonesboro on Sept 9th. They chose not to because of the impending Hurricane.

2. AState offered Miami free use of local hotels after the game and an opportunity to practice at our facilities after the game. Miami refused

3. AState offered to move the game to Friday September 8th. and pay personally for Miami's travel to Jonesboro for the game. Miami refused.

4. AState extended deadlines as a show of good faith to allow scheduling negotiations to play out

5. Miami has offered to play after 20205. AState has refused because it would stretch the original contract over a decade (Our original trip to Miami was in 2014)

6. AState offered common open dates for both schools in 2020 and 2021. Miami refused, indicating that they wanted to host an FCS on those days instead.

7. AState offered to play an extra buy game in Miami if they would reschedule for 2021 or 2022, Miami refused.

Letter points out that the AState/Miami game was the only cancelled game from 2017 that has not either ended with a paid buyout or a rescheduled game. Pointed out that Florida State made up with ULM already, UF paid Northern Colorado. Memphis paid Georgia State, Central Florida paid Maine. and FIU worked out a scheduling agreement with multiple schools to make up their game. FAU played and Stayed in Wisconsin in the days following the game.

AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - ark30inf - 02-12-2018 01:44 PM

We gave them a cheap home game in exchange for a return game. We did our part. They chose to cancel due to fears about return travel, we offered free accomodations, they refused. Thats fine, just pay the buyout or reschedule. They are balking at open dates because of not wanting 2 OOC away games. Ok, so just pay the buyout. No.

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - APPrising - 02-12-2018 02:17 PM

When I first read the thread title, I thought it might be a wrongful death lawsuit due to the heart attack of the WR on the fake punt play a few years ago.

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - ark30inf - 02-12-2018 02:28 PM

(02-12-2018 02:17 PM)APPrising Wrote:  When I first read the thread title, I thought it might be a wrongful death lawsuit due to the heart attack of the WR on the fake punt play a few years ago.
He didn't die from the heart attack, he was murdered by the Miami defender after he got up.

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - mjs - 02-12-2018 02:45 PM

Sue the hell out of them. They wimped out because they didn't want to play the game and found a way out. If I was an ASU fan, I'd obviously rather have the game which would create even more buzz now. Still the payout seems more likely and, I believe, legally justified.

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - airtroop - 02-12-2018 02:56 PM

(02-12-2018 12:55 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I'd be surprised if Miami doesn't end up paying all court costs and legal fees in the likely event they lose the case.

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - CardinalBlackTrojan - 02-12-2018 03:54 PM

Oh Miami.... I doubt they win this case...

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - McLeansvilleAppFan - 02-12-2018 09:09 PM

(02-12-2018 01:40 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  The full letter AState sent Miami is included with the Article

Highlights:

5. Miami has offered to play after 20205. AState has refused because it would stretch the original contract over a decade (Our original trip to Miami was in 2014)

I am not a math teacher but 20205-2014 seems a bit more than a decade.

Also if all that has been stated is factual this seems pretty open and shut. I hope that is the case for ArkSt.

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - T-Dog - 02-12-2018 11:52 PM

Story time.

When App hosted Miami in 2016, the Canes were really paranoid about hotels. Everyone who plays at App State stays at the same hotel, with the exception of NMSU who took a cheaper, but further away, option in Hickory. That hotel has its own catering, enough rooms, meeting space and is basically locked down for the team. Never had an issue . No fire alarms at 3 a.m. or anything like that. When Wake came up in 2017, there was a sign out front saying "Welcome Wake Forest Football!" Nothing happened. It was well know some stAte assistant coaches went out drinking on a Wednesday night in 2015 before the Thursday night game. Nothing happened. Worst thing to happen to a visiting team at that hotel was that some App State co-eds swiped right on several GaSo FB players Tinder accounts in 2015 to talk trash to them.

For Da U, they were so paranoid, they told the media they were staying in Hickory. Didn't say where, though. In reality, they stayed at the same hotel that every other team does, but they didn't allow the welcoming sign or any hints they were going to be there. And guess what? Nothing happened.

So yeah, not surprising they try to take the side door out of the contract.

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - eaglewraith - 02-13-2018 12:06 AM

(02-12-2018 11:52 PM)T-Dog Wrote:  Story time.

When App hosted Miami in 2016, the Canes were really paranoid about hotels. Everyone who plays at App State stays at the same hotel, with the exception of NMSU who took a cheaper, but further away, option in Hickory. That hotel has its own catering, enough rooms, meeting space and is basically locked down for the team. Never had an issue . No fire alarms at 3 a.m. or anything like that. When Wake came up in 2017, there was a sign out front saying "Welcome Wake Forest Football!" Nothing happened. It was well know some stAte assistant coaches went out drinking on a Wednesday night in 2015 before the Thursday night game. Nothing happened. Worst thing to happen to a visiting team at that hotel was that some App State co-eds swiped right on several GaSo FB players Tinder accounts in 2015 to talk trash to them.

For Da U, they were so paranoid, they told the media they were staying in Hickory. Didn't say where, though. In reality, they stayed at the same hotel that every other team does, but they didn't allow the welcoming sign or any hints they were going to be there. And guess what? Nothing happened.

So yeah, not surprising they try to take the side door out of the contract.

LOL.

I gotta give kudos to that.

RE: AState preparing to file Lawsuit against Miami - Attackcoog - 02-13-2018 12:44 AM

(02-12-2018 02:56 PM)airtroop Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 12:55 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I'd be surprised if Miami doesn't end up paying all court costs and legal fees in the likely event they lose the case.

They almost certainly will have to pay. AState has a pretty good case and Miami has clearly not acted in good faith. Thats even more obvious after one see's how accomodating AState has been. This gets settled. Miami wants nothing to do with a court case. 04-cheers