CSNbbs
Has the Olympic games ever delivered on easing political tensions? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Has the Olympic games ever delivered on easing political tensions? (/thread-842601.html)

Has the Olympic games ever delivered on easing political tensions? - miko33 - 02-12-2018 10:11 AM

The "selling point" of the Olympic games that is supposed to be unique from the normal annual international competitions in winter sports and the summer sports was that we can come together as a world and maybe thaw out tense relationships through sport. I don't ever recall a situation where the spirit of competition has led to longer term prospects. The closest I ever saw was seeing the Korea's uniting for a joint team. As far as I know, the 2 Korea's are still highly at odds with each other.

I remember when I was really young watching the Cold War being "fought" at the Olympics by athletic proxies (1980 U.S. hockey team vs the USSR), and of course Jessie Owens stealing the show at Munich. I don't think those events did anything to bring about stronger international relationships between countries.

So what is the allure of the Olympics today? To me, it seems like an outdated ideal that has long outlived its usefulness. The biggest reason I don't watch the Olympics is simple - I generally don't care to watch those sports. I don't follow those sports. However, I'd be more willing to follow those sports if the NBC crew didn't always try to tie the competitions to some overarching social ideals. In today's world we have World Skiing competitions annually as well as the same for figure skating, track and field and others. What's the allure to the Olympics?