CSNbbs
Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+----- Forum: Sun Belt Smack Talk (/forum-309.html)
+----- Thread: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true (/thread-841474.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - HighCountry - 02-01-2018 08:47 AM

(02-01-2018 08:39 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(02-01-2018 02:23 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  The suspension of the coach is odd, and sort of leads credence to the story to begin with. Why suspend the coach unless you've got a good idea that he may have had an opportunity to shut what was happening down and didn't?

Should the A&T Player gone all over Twitter with this? No. However, if he truly felt that the issue might be glossed over and ignored unless word got out, then I could see why he did what he did. Again...why did App suspend the coach? That's what I really want to know in all of this. I think it will answer most of the questions you guys keep asking.

The coach is suspended because on John Wilson's same tweet, he said that App State's head coach responded to Spencer Brown by saying "...we have a black guy on our team."

Which also doesn't sound inherently racist... and the coach apparently made no other statements besides that.

Again, the suspension of the coach also sounds like a PR move based on a one sided story.

The fact is that there are a lot of holes in this story...

If the coach had been given an "indefinite suspension" as Brown was I think one could speculate that it was a time buying move so that DG and the administration could do their due diligence and try to find out what actually went down.

If they find out that all of this is true then they're still in the same spot, suspensions get served and they still look great for acting quickly. However, if they find more to the story or find that the accusations are false then they could simply pull the suspensions and everyone goes about their business as usual.

As several of you have already written, anyone (person, school, business, etc) accused of being a racist in this current climate is essentially ****** from a PR perspective and the suspensions are a direct result of that. Anyone unfamiliar with Bret Weinstein (no, not that Weinstein) and The Evergreen State College should check this out out and see what havoc can be wrought by social media mobs and SJW BS.

Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - SBEagle - 02-01-2018 08:57 AM

I don’t understand how the A&T player is going to get through this awful injustice that he has suffered through. Someone who has no control over his future possibly made a smart a#% comment to him during a sporting event. He might be the next Rosa Parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - AppinSC - 02-01-2018 09:43 AM

(02-01-2018 08:57 AM)SBEagle Wrote:  I don’t understand how the A&T player is going to get through this awful injustice that he has suffered through. Someone who has no control over his future possibly made a smart a#% comment to him during a sporting event. He might be the next Rosa Parks.

I salute you for that one, SBEagle.

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - chiefsfan - 02-01-2018 10:28 AM

(02-01-2018 07:18 AM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  
(02-01-2018 02:23 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(02-01-2018 01:55 AM)CheckYosef94 Wrote:  Can we take a moment to look at this objectively? Let me start off by saying Brown should've kept his mouth shut and should be punished but I believe suspension may be a little over the top. I don't know the whole story but based off of what I do know this is my view point...

The A&T player stated that Brown had said other racist remarks but chose to quote "at least I know my dad" in his tweet. First off, that statement in and of itself is not inherently racist. Unless of course we want to assume that only black people are the only ones who don't know their fathers and choose to ignore all the Whites, Asians, Hispanics, etc. that don't know their fathers. Maybe I would be singing a different tune if I knew all the context but all I know of the conversation was based off of the A&T player's tweet. If in fact Brown had said other racist things why would the A&T player choose to quote just that part of the conversation? It seems to me that any other racist comment would be more condemning than that one.

Also, I have never known anybody to just out of the blue say "at least I know my dad." I think we can safely assume that this was said as a response to something else, most likely an insult of some sort. It is possible that the A&T player said "hey, nice volley" and Brown chose to respond with "at least I know my dad" but that seems unlikely. I heard rumors (I have no idea if this is true or not but I read it somewhere on twitter) that the A&T player told Brown something along the lines of, you're a spoiled white kid and your daddy buys you all your stuff. In that case Brown's comment at least makes sense context wise (again still not a good thing to say).

Finally, I think the call for "black twitter do ya thing" is worse than a few words exchanged on the court. As far as I know Brown didn't seek out help to ruin this other guys life, much less post his picture on twitter so that people could send him death threats. I understand that the University had to step in and deal with this before it got out of hand but everything I've seen about this story has been from the side of the A&T player. Can we wait to get both sides of the story before we run Brown out of town with an angry mob? I get that waiting for all the facts isn't the popular SJW way of doing things but lets at least pretend to look before we agree to ruin a 20 y/o kid's life.

I think a suspension is fair. We know that ultimately we had two tennis players who apparently did not get along, Words were exchanged, and some regretful things were uttered.

Essentially, you would have to go back and determine who said what first to figure out who is the more guilty party. The reality is that Brown said something that is deeply regretful as part of a volley of insults that had nothing to do with Tennis. Probably not worth getting kicked off the team over, but certainly worth a suspension pending an investigation. All App needs to show is that they are making a concentrated effort to investigate the matter, and once they get an idea what happened, they can give him an opportunity to earn reinstatement.

The suspension of the coach is odd, and sort of leads credence to the story to begin with. Why suspend the coach unless you've got a good idea that he may have had an opportunity to shut what was happening down and didn't?

Should the A&T Player gone all over Twitter with this? No. However, if he truly felt that the issue might be glossed over and ignored unless word got out, then I could see why he did what he did. Again...why did App suspend the coach? That's what I really want to know in all of this. I think it will answer most of the questions you guys keep asking.

Another thing I hate...the SJW Card. It's silly that we've as a country turned things which were very important in the formation of our country and attached them to every negative event. It discredits the people who actually used Social Justice for good.
'

The 'reality' is that Brown is ACCUSED by a guy that got beat in a tennis match as saying something along racial lines. We know nothing of the comments made by Brown or the A&T guy said prior to the supposed comment. I continue to find it interesting that a black player says he was insulted and the vast majority can't wait to rush for judgement against the App guy. What if both players were the same race, would you condemn either player before any of the on court facts are known? I expect not.

This isn't a court of law. You get a case like this, you can't allow the kid to play while you investigate. You have to suspend first, ask questions later.

I doubt the AT&T player would lie about what was said. Now, is it possible that both players had been insulting each other all match and it boiled over? Sure. But we can't sit here and proclaim innocence in a case like this.

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - chiefsfan - 02-01-2018 10:33 AM

(02-01-2018 08:22 AM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(02-01-2018 02:15 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(01-31-2018 10:53 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(01-31-2018 10:01 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(01-31-2018 07:38 PM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  Jus

He's lucky you don't have a rope, a tall tree and a few liquored up cowboys with you. Is it possible that he could be innocent? Just a little possible? How quick we condemn one person without even asking his side of the story. Says something about you.

Yes, but then one has to ask themselves this question. If an African American player had made a racially prejudiced comment to a white player, would everyone be sitting here going "Is it possible he didn't do it?" "Lets get his side of the story"

The problem is that as a society, we cannot honestly answer that question with a resounding "yes" yet.

That's my concern here.

You're making an assumption.

Can you honestly say it wouldn't?

There is a major issue in race relations in this country. Unfortunately a decent sized portion of the American populace would rather stick their head in the sand and pretend such an issue doesn't exist.

I pray that one day as a country we'll recognize the mistakes of previous and current generations and work to make sure they don't happen again. However, in the current climate I have little faith we'll get there anytime soon.

Under the same circumstances as this case, if Spencer Brown were to have gone on Twitter and posted John Wilson's picture, told everyone that he had made a racist remark to him, and then followed it up by insinuating people should go after him, I believe there would be many that would still say "hold on... let's get John Wilson's side of the story." Are there going to be some that automatically condemn him because he's black and assume he had to have said something racist? Yes. But the very same thing is happening to Brown right now. He's being condemned because in the current climate, if you're white and blamed for saying something racist, you get raked over the coals because people make assumptions on social media without having all of the facts, typically to avoid bad PR in most cases.

Racism is never going to end. It's not just America's problem, it's a global issue. There will always be some people that are racist for all sorts of different reasons, and nothing will ever stop that, no matter how many protests, laws, boycotts, or awareness is made about it.

I just don't have a lot of confidence or hope in the future of our country right now unfortunately. You'll have to understand that I take my views from the perspective of someone who sees this country headed down a deeply troubling path. And while Racism is an inherent problem world wide, I feel that other countries have made far better in their attempts to curtail it.

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - JCGSU - 02-01-2018 10:42 AM

(02-01-2018 08:57 AM)SBEagle Wrote:  I don’t understand how the A&T player is going to get through this awful injustice that he has suffered through. Someone who has no control over his future possibly made a smart a#% comment to him during a sporting event. He might be the next Rosa Parks.

If what I seen on twitter is true the "victim"'s twitter has gay slurs all over it and calling for "black twitter" to harass this kid who has received death threats is equally disgusting if not more than a comment made in competition and sound like he we responding. I mean that statement is a response not a unprovoked insult type statement. This should have been a one match suspension and over yet the PC police and SWJ morons have to prove how unracist they are and go overboard. I am surprised the whole program has not been shut down yet.

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - JCGSU - 02-01-2018 10:46 AM

(01-31-2018 08:26 PM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  The downplaying in here is pretty disgusting, but to be expected.

Virtue signal alert.

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - JCGSU - 02-01-2018 10:51 AM

(01-31-2018 04:47 PM)CC Eagle Wrote:  
(01-31-2018 04:10 PM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  Is this the same monster? http://www.southcarolina.usta.com/High_School_/_College/spartanburg_teen_wants_to_play_it_forward/

What a piece of work, he's clearly been planning this for years!

Good to know that you’ll absolve me of anything stupid I do in the future since I used to volunteer as a basketball and football coach at the Boys and Girls Club.

Maybe take into account a persons total life vs one bad moment? Big ask I know but can we try...pretty sure that is the point.

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - CC Eagle - 02-01-2018 11:43 AM

(02-01-2018 10:51 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  
(01-31-2018 04:10 PM)bullitt_60 Wrote:  Is this the same monster? http://www.southcarolina.usta.com/High_School_/_College/spartanburg_teen_wants_to_play_it_forward/

Good to know that you’ll absolve me of anything stupid I do in the future since I used to volunteer as a basketball and football coach at the Boys and Girls Club.

Maybe take into account a persons total life vs one bad moment? Big ask I know but can we try...pretty sure that is the point.

I’ve got no problem doing that. I have no problem saying that this kid seems like he’s more good than bad.

I also have no problem saying that he deserves some flak if he really was caught slinging racially motivated insults.

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - JCGSU - 02-01-2018 12:02 PM

(02-01-2018 11:43 AM)CC Eagle Wrote:  

I’ve got no problem doing that. I have no problem saying that this kid seems like he’s more good than bad.

I also have no problem saying that he deserves some flak if he really was caught slinging racially motivated insults.

Wow way to go out on a limb saying he is probably more good than bad lol. I believe that is probably true of 90% of the population yet 99.9% of us have said or worse DONE something in anger or in the heat of the moment worse than what that kid did every single one of us regardless of sex, race or who you like to hold hands with.

Yeah flak, not possibly being kicked off a team, losing a scholarship, having is his life threatened and or ruined like he killed someone. Apply some context it was during competition and sounds like a response. It is not like he walked up to some random black person and said that or was on video joking with his friends like the AL student was yet he is getting the same treatment as the AL girl. It is overboard PC garbage the "victim" has unprovoked gay slurs on his twitter and called for racially biased retaliation from "black twitter" yet he will not get any "flak".

Suspend the kid for a match put him on probation and call the day. We all get it was idiotic. Not you specifically but I wish the SJW's would quit using minor incidents to ruin peoples lives just prove how non racist you all are.

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - JCGSU - 02-01-2018 12:14 PM

/thread

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - App75 - 02-01-2018 12:36 PM

Gentlemen

This was about App not John Wilson IV.
Our AD got to the bottom of this and did what needed to be done.

It's up to A&T to deal with anything Mr. Wilson did. Oh the tweets attributed to him were a fake Twitter acct.

We dont condone racism and wont put up with it.

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - ComeBackShack - 02-01-2018 12:47 PM

(02-01-2018 12:36 PM)App75 Wrote:  Gentlemen

This was about App not John Wilson IV.
Our AD got to the bottom of this and did what needed to be done.

It's up to A&T to deal with anything Mr. Wilson did. Oh the tweets attributed to him were a fake Twitter acct.

We dont condone racism and wont put up with it.

Those tweets were real...

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - CC Eagle - 02-01-2018 12:48 PM

(02-01-2018 12:02 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  
(02-01-2018 11:43 AM)CC Eagle Wrote:  

Suspend the kid for a match put him on probation and call the day. We all get it was idiotic. Not you specifically but I wish the SJW's would quit using minor incidents to ruin peoples lives just prove how non racist you all are.

Well, he is suspended and I’d imagine probation will also be in the mix. The ‘indefinite’ term of the suspension could easily mean that App wants to know all of the facts. It might turn into just a match if it is determined that one stupid comment was the entirety of the situation.

As for ‘ruining the kid’s life’ on twitter, that’s just a crappy fact of life in a world where people can’t behave on social media. He wasn’t going to have it any easier if the story broke via an official release by App than he did by getting called out by his opponent.

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - CardinalBlackTrojan - 02-01-2018 12:52 PM

(02-01-2018 10:33 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I just don't have a lot of confidence or hope in the future of our country right now unfortunately. You'll have to understand that I take my views from the perspective of someone who sees this country headed down a deeply troubling path. And while Racism is an inherent problem world wide, I feel that other countries have made far better in their attempts to curtail it.

I take it you've never been to India, South Africa, or even Egypt? If anyone else on this thread has ever been to India for an extended period of time, they could probably tell you first hand how bad racism is there... especially toward blacks and Jews. If you're a black person living in India, it can be dangerous. On my last day in Delhi, I was on a bus heading toward the airport, and our bus drove by another bus that was stopped where a black guy was being beaten up by normal Indian citizens, thrown off the bus and onto the side of the road. That was the worst that I had seen.

In some parts of South Africa, you can cut the tension with a knife.

Considering the U.S. is the most diverse country in the world, and how we have furthered more civil rights for various races and cultural groups over the past century compared to any other nation, I'd say the U.S. has made the most progress of any country. Could things be better? Sure.

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - EigenEagle - 02-01-2018 01:12 PM

(02-01-2018 12:52 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(02-01-2018 10:33 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  I just don't have a lot of confidence or hope in the future of our country right now unfortunately. You'll have to understand that I take my views from the perspective of someone who sees this country headed down a deeply troubling path. And while Racism is an inherent problem world wide, I feel that other countries have made far better in their attempts to curtail it.

I take it you've never been to India, South Africa, or even Egypt? If anyone else on this thread has ever been to India for an extended period of time, they could probably tell you first hand how bad racism is there... especially toward blacks and Jews. If you're a black person living in India, it can be dangerous. On my last day in Delhi, I was on a bus heading toward the airport, and our bus drove by another bus that was stopped where a black guy was being beaten up by normal Indian citizens, thrown off the bus and onto the side of the road. That was the worst that I had seen.

Considering the U.S. is the most diverse country in the world, and how we have furthered more civil rights for various races and cultural groups over the past century compared to any other nation, I'd say the U.S. has made the most progress of any country. Could things be better? Sure.

The media can exaggerate the importance of a few hundred white nationalists in Charlottesville and wail that Trump is a secret Nazi elected by Nazis, but what matters is cold, hard, indifferent-to-your-feelings data.

[Image: racial-tolerance-map-hk-fix.jpg&w=1484]

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - Paul of Troy - 02-01-2018 01:24 PM

(02-01-2018 01:12 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  
(02-01-2018 12:52 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

The media can exaggerate the importance of a few hundred white nationalists in Charlottesville and wail that Trump is a secret Nazi elected by Nazis, but what matters is cold, hard, indifferent-to-your-feelings data.

Source?

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - Yosef84 - 02-01-2018 03:17 PM

Just a few observations / comments about this situation, none of which are intended to be presented as "conclusive" but which reflect my personal opinion:
1) App fans as a group find the racial comments distasteful and indefensible, but some want to explain it away. The desire to explain something doesn't mean the actions are being excused or condoned. Many are just trying to defend the reputation of the university or are reacting to the manner in which the issue escalated.
2) Doug Gillan has taken swift action and I don't believe either party was suspended without cause. I think he determined to his satisfaction that the code of conduct was violated and action was taken.
3) Although the specific comment in itself isn't actually racists, it is clearly touching on an offensive stereotype that is race based. The coach's comments actually CONFIRM that the comment (based on context we don't all have) was race based....which is a problem.
4) The coach's comment was a lame attempt to gloss over the incident, which is where he went wrong. It is akin to the "I have black friends" defense that many use to counter suggestions of racism. Instead of glossing over things, if he had taken corrective action right then, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation and he certainly wouldn't be suspended for 4 games.
5) Spencer's idiot father hurt his cause by chiming in on twitter. Fair or not, that provided a background that fed this fire.
6) Indefinite suspension doesn't mean the kid has been kicked off the team. It means information is being collected to determine an appropriate action.
7) All racist comments are not created equal. Some are hate-based but some could possibly be just asinine comments made in the heat of verbal exchange. Even then....defaulting to a racial reference seems to reflect an "attitude" that is already there, but "attitude" and hate are not the same. The fact that some of his peer students posted negatives is kind of damning but he could just be a jerk in general. I really don't know.
8) It really is hard to believe we are all talking about collegiate tennis! With all due respect to the diversity of the Troy team, I'm surprised there aren't more incidents like this, especially in the "country club" sports. I mean no disrespect to the Tennis and Golf communities. I like both sports! The reality is that both remain largely targeted toward upper income white families.

I'm sure some will object to a couple of my observations. Have at it.

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - airtroop - 02-01-2018 03:40 PM

(02-01-2018 01:55 AM)CheckYosef94 Wrote:  Can we take a moment to look at this objectively? Let me start off by saying Brown should've kept his mouth shut and should be punished but I believe suspension may be a little over the top. I don't know the whole story but based off of what I do know this is my view point...

The A&T player stated that Brown had said other racist remarks but chose to quote "at least I know my dad" in his tweet. First off, that statement in and of itself is not inherently racist. Unless of course we want to assume that only black people are the only ones who don't know their fathers and choose to ignore all the Whites, Asians, Hispanics, etc. that don't know their fathers. Maybe I would be singing a different tune if I knew all the context but all I know of the conversation was based off of the A&T player's tweet. If in fact Brown had said other racist things why would the A&T player choose to quote just that part of the conversation? It seems to me that any other racist comment would be more condemning than that one.

Also, I have never known anybody to just out of the blue say "at least I know my dad." I think we can safely assume that this was said as a response to something else, most likely an insult of some sort. It is possible that the A&T player said "hey, nice volley" and Brown chose to respond with "at least I know my dad" but that seems unlikely. I heard rumors (I have no idea if this is true or not but I read it somewhere on twitter) that the A&T player told Brown something along the lines of, you're a spoiled white kid and your daddy buys you all your stuff. In that case Brown's comment at least makes sense context wise (again still not a good thing to say).

Finally, I think the call for "black twitter do ya thing" is worse than a few words exchanged on the court. As far as I know Brown didn't seek out help to ruin this other guys life, much less post his picture on twitter so that people could send him death threats. I understand that the University had to step in and deal with this before it got out of hand but everything I've seen about this story has been from the side of the A&T player. Can we wait to get both sides of the story before we run Brown out of town with an angry mob? I get that waiting for all the facts isn't the popular SJW way of doing things but lets at least pretend to look before we agree to ruin a 20 y/o kid's life.

Great point. My first impression of that statement was more of a "Yo' momma" insult than a racial one but then again, I wasn't there either.

RE: Not a good look for Appalachian St if true - CardinalBlackTrojan - 02-01-2018 04:47 PM

(02-01-2018 01:24 PM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  
(02-01-2018 01:12 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  The media can exaggerate the importance of a few hundred white nationalists in Charlottesville and wail that Trump is a secret Nazi elected by Nazis, but what matters is cold, hard, indifferent-to-your-feelings data.

Source?

Believe it or not... the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2013/05/15/a-fascinating-map-of-the-worlds-most-and-least-racially-tolerant-countries/?utm_term=.9ee4f42e9c14