CSNbbs
NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve (/thread-840697.html)

NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - Kaplony - 01-20-2018 10:13 PM

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/19/nsa-deletes-surveillance-data-351730

Quote:The National Security Agency destroyed surveillance data it pledged to preserve in connection with pending lawsuits and apparently never took some of the steps it told a federal court it had taken to make sure the information wasn’t destroyed, according to recent court filings.

Word of the NSA’s foul-up is emerging just as Congress has extended for six years the legal authority the agency uses for much of its surveillance work conducted through U.S. internet providers and tech firms. President Donald Trump signed that measure into law Friday.

Since 2007, the NSA has been under court orders to preserve data about certain of its surveillance efforts that came under legal attack following disclosures that President George W. Bush ordered warrantless wiretapping of international communications after the 2001 terrorist attacks on the U.S. In addition, the agency has made a series of representations in court over the years about how it is complying with its duties.

However, the NSA told U.S. District Court Judge Jeffrey White in a filing on Thursday night and another little-noticed submission last year that the agency did not preserve the content of internet communications intercepted between 2001 and 2007 under the program Bush ordered. To make matters worse, backup tapes that might have mitigated the failure were erased in 2009, 2011 and 2016, the NSA said.

Somebody needs to go to jail.

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - UofMstateU - 01-20-2018 10:21 PM

(01-20-2018 10:13 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/19/nsa-deletes-surveillance-data-351730

Quote:The National Security Agency destroyed surveillance data it pledged to preserve in connection with pending lawsuits and apparently never took some of the steps it told a federal court it had taken to make sure the information wasn’t destroyed, according to recent court filings.

Word of the NSA’s foul-up is emerging just as Congress has extended for six years the legal authority the agency uses for much of its surveillance work conducted through U.S. internet providers and tech firms. President Donald Trump signed that measure into law Friday.

Since 2007, the NSA has been under court orders to preserve data about certain of its surveillance efforts that came under legal attack following disclosures that President George W. Bush ordered warrantless wiretapping of international communications after the 2001 terrorist attacks on the U.S. In addition, the agency has made a series of representations in court over the years about how it is complying with its duties.

However, the NSA told U.S. District Court Judge Jeffrey White in a filing on Thursday night and another little-noticed submission last year that the agency did not preserve the content of internet communications intercepted between 2001 and 2007 under the program Bush ordered. To make matters worse, backup tapes that might have mitigated the failure were erased in 2009, 2011 and 2016, the NSA said.

I work for a public company. If I were to delete backup tapes of emails on our system that were required for a lawsuit, I could go to jail. Why does the NSA and IRS get a pass?

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - Crebman - 01-20-2018 11:04 PM

(01-20-2018 10:21 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
(01-20-2018 10:13 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/19/nsa-deletes-surveillance-data-351730

I work for a public company. If I were to delete backup tapes of emails on our system that were required for a lawsuit, I could go to jail. Why does the NSA and IRS get a pass?

Well, at the Federal level, they've decided that some pigs are more equal than others.....and we citizens have/are allowing them to get away with it.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure we as a country will be successful in reeling them back short of an armed insurrection. Time will tell...........

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - stinkfist - 01-20-2018 11:11 PM

it's been a gawdammmed joke for too long......

#swamp

#henceDJT

I can only hope he foKKKs dems all up the arse with a righteous swizzle stick grubering the cods at the same time by the time it's over......

fk 'em all up the arse.....

for the @muh russia faghag folk.....

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - oliveandblue - 01-21-2018 12:25 AM

(01-20-2018 11:11 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  it's been a gawdammmed joke for too long......

#swamp

#henceDJT

I can only hope he foKKKs dems all up the arse with a righteous swizzle stick grubering the cods at the same time by the time it's over......

Dimebag, you will be missed.

Beyond that, it's funny how something like a metal band (or electronic group) or w/e can actually show us that we aren't that different from each other. We all bleed the same color.

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - stinkfist - 01-21-2018 12:26 AM

(01-21-2018 12:25 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  
(01-20-2018 11:11 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  it's been a gawdammmed joke for too long......

#swamp

#henceDJT

Dimebag, you will be missed.

Beyond that, it's funny how something like a metal band (or electronic group) or w/e can actually show us that we aren't that different from each other. We all bleed the same color.

XACLY!

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - bullet - 01-21-2018 12:43 AM

Really.

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - TechRocks - 01-21-2018 07:53 AM

See Comey re Hillary Clinton

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - TigerBlue4Ever - 01-21-2018 10:57 AM

Do you really need to ask that question?

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - TigerBlue4Ever - 01-21-2018 10:59 AM

#swamp

#henceDJT

The swamp cannot be drained because it's all swamp. Needs to be blown up and started over.

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - bullet - 01-21-2018 02:02 PM

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/19/deep-state-unraveling-goper-sees-jail-dojers-fbier/

At least some Republicans on the intelligence committee are starting top talk striped pajamas for DOJ and FBI.

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - stinkfist - 01-21-2018 02:04 PM

(01-21-2018 02:02 PM)bullet Wrote:  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/19/deep-state-unraveling-goper-sees-jail-dojers-fbier/

At least some Republicans on the intelligence committee are starting top talk striped pajamas for DOJ and FBI.

they know we're pissed the #motherfokkkoff.....

#henceDJT

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - Old Blue - 01-21-2018 04:06 PM

Were it not for Eric Snowden we would not even know this NSA surveillance program existed. A medal needs to be named in his honor.

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - gdunn - 01-21-2018 04:10 PM

(01-21-2018 04:06 PM)Old Blue Wrote:  Were it not for Eric Snowden we would not even know this NSA surveillance program existed. A medal needs to be named in his honor.

I thought his name was Edward...

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - olliebaba - 01-21-2018 04:13 PM

(01-21-2018 04:10 PM)gdunn Wrote:  
(01-21-2018 04:06 PM)Old Blue Wrote:  Were it not for Eric Snowden we would not even know this NSA surveillance program existed. A medal needs to be named in his honor.

I thought his name was Edward...

Eric's his nickname. 03-wink

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - bubbapt - 01-21-2018 04:54 PM

(01-21-2018 02:02 PM)bullet Wrote:  https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/19/deep-state-unraveling-goper-sees-jail-dojers-fbier/

Only Congress can fix this.

RE: NSA deleted surveillance data it pledged to preserve - Kaplony - 01-21-2018 07:30 PM

I worked for local government agencies. I've seen people from other agencies literally put in handcuffs and locked in a cell for stuff like this.