CSNbbs
Meaningless bowl games? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Northern Illinois (/forum-468.html)
+----- Thread: Meaningless bowl games? (/thread-839705.html)

Meaningless bowl games? - randyfensfanclub1 - 01-09-2018 11:31 PM

I wanted to post on this for a while.

I watched a good # of bowl games, or at least part of and saw a LOT of excitement from a lot of teams, be it P5 or lesser conf. More than NIU portrayed, or at least claimed. Damn you Bahamas and Boca Raton!01-lauramac2 Oh, 4th and 18 punt too! 03-puke

Oh, and how many of these games were played in sub 50 degree weather? If not 40's or 30's?

Some teams of note...

Texas. A historic program that fell on bad times as of late. There players and coaches played like they were going for national title.

NMST- Perhaps my favorite badly played game. True, was about a home game, but man those kids looked happy as did the fans. Guess you enjoy the moment when you win your school's 1st bowl game in 40+years.

MS ST/LVille- Again, Miss St playing after a coach got fired. They were both jacked and when they won, were on cloud 9 even though they weren't at a beach.

Wisconsin- I guess they were inspired by Miami even though they missed playoff. Ah, warm weather. 03-cloud9

UCF- I think most saw it, covered. And anyone saying Auburn rolled over find another cliche.

RE: Meaningless bowl games? - NIUfrank - 01-10-2018 09:43 AM

I'm glad these sponsors keep backing these bowls but after seeing those pathetic crowds it is just bad optics.

Also the playoff has lessened all other bowl games. More reason NOT to expand the playoff. You will kill bowls and lessen the regular season.

RE: Meaningless bowl games? - MJG - 01-10-2018 09:56 AM

Moving some to smaller venues makes sense. Potato Bowl to Portland and an Eastern bowl to Myrtle Beach.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Meaningless bowl games? - Splooie99 - 01-11-2018 09:34 AM

(01-10-2018 09:56 AM)MJG Wrote:  Moving some to smaller venues makes sense. Potato Bowl to Portland and an Eastern bowl to Myrtle Beach.

I like this Idea. I would go regardless of who is playing. It is in my back yard almost. It is a 40 minute Mass transit trip. (The "Max" is our above ground subway)

RE: Meaningless bowl games? - Dog Fan - 01-11-2018 09:49 AM

(01-11-2018 09:34 AM)Splooie99 Wrote:  
(01-10-2018 09:56 AM)MJG Wrote:  Moving some to smaller venues makes sense. Potato Bowl to Portland and an Eastern bowl to Myrtle Beach.

I like this Idea. I would go regardless of who is playing. It is in my back yard almost. It is a 40 minute Mass transit trip. (The "Max" is our above ground subway)

It makes sense to me, too. There is a lot to see and do in Portland, and the nearby Columbia River Gorge is breathtaking.

RE: Meaningless bowl games? - NIU007 - 01-11-2018 03:29 PM

(01-11-2018 09:49 AM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(01-11-2018 09:34 AM)Splooie99 Wrote:  

It makes sense to me, too. There is a lot to see and do in Portland, and the nearby Columbia River Gorge is breathtaking.

Yea I've heard it's Gorgeous.

RE: Meaningless bowl games? - Huskie_Jon - 01-11-2018 03:43 PM

(01-10-2018 09:43 AM)NIUfrank Wrote:  I'm glad these sponsors keep backing these bowls but after seeing those pathetic crowds it is just bad optics.

Also the playoff has lessened all other bowl games. More reason NOT to expand the playoff. You will kill bowls and lessen the regular season.

The playoff has lessened the P5 conference championship games, especially when the two teams in the national championship game come from the same conference.

I mean Georgia won the SEC Championship, so they are the best team in the SEC. But the best team in the nation is Alabama, who is also in the SEC. Tell me that does not make your head explode.

Epic Mind Blown

RE: Meaningless bowl games? - OldTtimeNIU - 01-11-2018 06:17 PM

(01-11-2018 03:43 PM)Huskie_Jon Wrote:  
(01-10-2018 09:43 AM)NIUfrank Wrote:  I'm glad these sponsors keep backing these bowls but after seeing those pathetic crowds it is just bad optics.

The playoff has lessened the P5 conference championship games, especially when the two teams in the national championship game come from the same conference.

I mean Georgia won the SEC Championship, so they are the best team in the SEC. But the best team in the nation is Alabama, who is also in the SEC. Tell me that does not make your head explode.

Epic Mind Blown

'Bama is the National Champion but not necessarily the Best Team

For example, the Astros were not the best team but won the World Series

I know...it's just words and BS but that is the way it is presented..No "best team" named officially