CSNbbs
JMU at NC State - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: JMU at NC State (/thread-839635.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

JMU at NC State - JMU_Degenerate - 01-09-2018 12:42 PM

ESPN: The best games of next years opening weekend

RE: JMU at NC State - JMU_Degenerate - 01-09-2018 12:46 PM

the fake punt was mentioned: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21984994

Amazing block by #77 (fr) on that play.

RE: JMU at NC State - JMU83 - 01-09-2018 12:53 PM

Why did you have to post this? The next 7.5 months can't get here soon enough. Wanted to decompress for awhile.
Let's start the countdown clock.

RE: JMU at NC State - Longhorn - 01-09-2018 12:55 PM

(01-09-2018 12:46 PM)JMU_Degenerate Wrote:  the fake punt was mentioned: http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21984994

Amazing block by #77 (fr) on that play.

NDSU's #5 is still feeling that hit.

RE: JMU at NC State - Dukester - 01-09-2018 12:58 PM

(01-09-2018 12:53 PM)JMU83 Wrote:  Why did you have to post this? The next 7.5 months can't get here soon enough. Wanted to decompress for awhile.

A win over NCState would be as joyous as the loss to ndsu was sad.

I think it’s possible.

Offensive line needs to make huge strides and stay healthy so they can control the ball.

RE: JMU at NC State - Longhorn - 01-09-2018 12:59 PM

(01-09-2018 12:58 PM)Dukester Wrote:  
(01-09-2018 12:53 PM)JMU83 Wrote:  Why did you have to post this? The next 7.5 months can't get here soon enough. Wanted to decompress for awhile.

A win over NCState would be as joyous as the loss to ndsu was sad.

I think it’s possible.

Offensive line needs to make huge strides and stay healthy so they can control the ball.

OL and the QB situation need to play big. A win is possible, but not probable. I think NCST returns a very good team net year.

RE: JMU at NC State - Potomac - 01-09-2018 01:08 PM

FWIW, NC State finished ranked 23rd and in ESPN's "way too early Top 25", they're unranked. Didn't they lose a top player? QB or something? Then again, so did we.

RE: JMU at NC State - JMU_Degenerate - 01-09-2018 01:10 PM

Unprovable, unnecessary, and irrelevant hypothetical:
If the game were to be held today, at NC State, with the 2017 rosters and coaching staffs; then the betting line would be, approximately, NC State -12

RE: JMU at NC State - jmufan2008 - 01-09-2018 01:17 PM

(01-09-2018 01:08 PM)Potomac Wrote:  FWIW, NC State finished ranked 23rd and in ESPN's "way too early Top 25", they're unranked. Didn't they lose a top player? QB or something? Then again, so did we.

Unfortunately for JMU, Finley has decided to return to the Wolfpack next year even though people were figuring he wouldn't (probably why they aren't in the top 25 prediction).

I believe they graduate a lot of their defense. However, they return a bunch of their offense. From an ESPN article, "NC State won nine games last season and returns a 1,000-yard rusher in Nyheim Hines and a 1,000-yard receiver in Kelvin Harmon." If Finley wasn't returning, I'd say we have a chance if our new QB and the line played their best. However, it will be tough for our defense to hold State to less than 30. Our offense will have to be perfect and hope their defensive replacements aren't in sync to start the year. State will be in the top couple teams in the ACC next year.

RE: JMU at NC State - RollDukes757 - 01-09-2018 01:23 PM

NC ST returns 2 defensive starters, both of their safeties. More notably they return 4/5 O Linemen, 3 of top 4 receivers, plus their QB and top 2 running backs. They will be a handful on offense.

RE: JMU at NC State - Wear Purple - 01-09-2018 01:42 PM

NC State has a new Defensive Coordinator. Ted Roof, who moves over to the Pack from a few years as DC in his 2nd stint at his (and my) alma mater, Georgia Tech. The writing was pretty much on the wall that if he didn't get a job elsewhere he was going to be fired by Paul Johnson, who runs through DC's like most of us on this board run through cases of beer.

Side note, Ted lived down the hall from me for 2 years. Very competitive guy. Once saw him record 21 tackles in a 6-6 tie (1985) at Neyland Stadium against the Vols. Head Coach Bill Curry in the postgame locker room singled him out and gave him the game ball for his efforts...he threw it back to Curry saying he didn't want it because the Jackets didn't win. True story. Roof has twin sons. One signed as a QB at EZU and was redshirted this past season. His other son signed with GT and played as a true frosh this past season, but is now transferring to Indiana since Dad is no longer there.

Roof runs a 4-3 defense and is very much a bend-but-don't-break approach. Very little man coverage. Almost always zone. His corners give a ton of cushion at the LOS...something that infuriated GT fans, btw. His defenses were never good rushing the passer at GT during either stint (late 90's under George O'Leary or last few with Paul Johnson). He has a lot of experience having been HC at Duke, DC at Auburn (national championship team in fact), and DC at Penn State among others.

More than you wanted to know, but what the heck it is now officially the offseason I suppose.

RE: JMU at NC State - Dukester - 01-09-2018 01:50 PM

(01-09-2018 01:10 PM)JMU_Degenerate Wrote:  Unprovable, unnecessary, and irrelevant hypothetical:
If the game were to be held today, at NC State, with the 2017 rosters and coaching staffs; then the betting line would be, approximately, NC State -12

If only we could get Witthers the head coaching job at NC State. But, as the UNC coach he did beat us....01-lauramac2

RE: JMU at NC State - Wear Purple - 01-09-2018 02:02 PM

I believe this will be a good candidate for TV coverage. All ACC FB games are at minimum streamed live via ACC Network Extra. Games on opening Saturday where ACC teams host D1AA teams normally have gone that route (e.g., UVA hosting W&M or Richmond last few years). But, with JMU's added exposure and the fact it likely will be a really good game, it is possible it will earn TV coverage - perhaps the syndicated ACC Network 12:20pm game of the week.

These are the ACC games for opening weekend which are already known (barring no scheduling adjustments):

-Louisville vs Alabama (at Orlando, FL...will get prime time TV coverage most likely)
-UMass at Boston College (likely ACCNE)
-Furman at Clemson (likely ACCNE)
-Syracuse at Western Michigan (???)
-Army at Duke (likely makes TV on one of ESPN's platforms OR the 12:20 ACC Network game of the week)
-Alcorn State at Ga Tech (likely no TV coverage, streamed live via ACCNE)
-UNCheat at California (likely Pac 12 Network or possibly late game on ESPN platform)
-Albany at Pitt (likely ACCNE)
-Ticks at UVA (likely ACCNE)

NOT ON SATURDAY...
-Wake Forest at Tulane (scheduled for Thursday, Aug. 30)
-Va Tech at Florida State (will be played on Labor Day Monday night)
-Miami vs LSU (at Cowpunks Stadium on Sunday, Sep. 2)

When you look at that list of games, JMU-NCSU is pretty attractive among the Saturday games. Perhaps only Army-Duke competes as far as games ESPN controls TV coverage per ACC contract (putting aside UofL-Bama of course). The kickoff times and TV coverage for the first 3 weeks of the season is released by the ACC normally in late May.

RE: JMU at NC State - Wear Purple - 01-09-2018 02:18 PM

The Dukes were unlucky in 2016 in that we had to face the Tar Holes when they had about 6 guys on their offense drafted into the NFL, including the overall #2 pick at QB.

We might catch a break in 2018 in Raleigh though as they lose a ton of talent on defense...including DE Bradley Chubb, who is being touted as a possible top 3 pick in next spring's draft. DT Justin Jones is projected in the 3rd round.

With few returning starters and a new coordinator (read: lots of new faces), let's hope this helps the Dukes some. I am confident Trott will just reload and we'll be very good on defense. Perhaps not as dominant as this past season as the '17 defense may be the standard that all JMU defense are compared to in the future. But, we'll be good. It may take us some time on offense though. Any new faces and learning curves on the Pack's defensive side can aid our chances considering our offense might (and I stress "might") be our weak link coming out of the gate in Week 1.

(also, TE Jaylon Samuels is projected as a 3rd round pick)

RE: JMU at NC State - JMad03 - 01-09-2018 02:43 PM

There's no doubt they will be a better opponent.
Hopefully this won't be a two game losing streak.
Just don't know if our offense is going to be able to put it together in week one vs an FBS team. A loss won't signify we're in trouble because the next few teams should set us up for success.
If we win the game, I think the rest of FCS better be afraid... very afraid.

RE: JMU at NC State - Potomac - 01-09-2018 03:32 PM

(01-09-2018 02:43 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  There's no doubt they will be a better opponent.
Hopefully this won't be a two game losing streak.
Just don't know if our offense is going to be able to put it together in week one vs an FBS team. A loss won't signify we're in trouble because the next few teams should set us up for success.
If we win the game, I think the rest of FCS better be afraid... very afraid.

The only thing I can guarantee is the meltdown on here if we lose to an FBS team. Two in a row. May as well shut down the program.

RE: JMU at NC State - JMU_71 - 01-09-2018 03:39 PM

(01-09-2018 01:42 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  NC State has a new Defensive Coordinator. Ted Roof, who moves over to the Pack from a few years as DC in his 2nd stint at his (and my) alma mater, Georgia Tech. The writing was pretty much on the wall that if he didn't get a job elsewhere he was going to be fired by Paul Johnson, who runs through DC's like most of us on this board run through cases of beer.

Side note, Ted lived down the hall from me for 2 years. Very competitive guy. Once saw him record 21 tackles in a 6-6 tie (1985) at Neyland Stadium against the Vols. Head Coach Bill Curry in the postgame locker room singled him out and gave him the game ball for his efforts...he threw it back to Curry saying he didn't want it because the Jackets didn't win. True story. Roof has twin sons. One signed as a QB at EZU and was redshirted this past season. His other son signed with GT and played as a true frosh this past season, but is now transferring to Indiana since Dad is no longer there.

Roof runs a 4-3 defense and is very much a bend-but-don't-break approach. Very little man coverage. Almost always zone. His corners give a ton of cushion at the LOS...something that infuriated GT fans, btw. His defenses were never good rushing the passer at GT during either stint (late 90's under George O'Leary or last few with Paul Johnson). He has a lot of experience having been HC at Duke, DC at Auburn (national championship team in fact), and DC at Penn State among others.

More than you wanted to know, but what the heck it is now officially the offseason I suppose.

I'm not sure that Roof is the new DC. I think Huxtable is still the DC and they hired Roof as the tenth assistant with the idea that he would become the DC after this coming year if and when Huxtable retires. Any way, I thought getting Roof was solid on their part.

State is losing a lot on D, but they have a couple of D tackles that played a lot in the rotation that are back this year. They also have a r-Sr LB, Germaine Pratt, that played in a three man rotation at LB in a 4-2-5 D that is back. He's a converted safety, but has transformed into a LB without losing his speed. They also have Darren Roseboro coming back at DE. Many thought that he might go pro, but after seeing how Chubb helped his draft stock by coming back, Roseboro decided to return as well for his senior season. He's a beast! While I agree that the Pack's Defense will not be as good in their front 7 as they were this year, they are still going to be pretty freaking good.

With Finely at QB, Hines and Gallasby at RB, Louis, Harmon and Meyers at WR, the Pack's offense will potent. They only lose their RG on the O-line, but played without him in their bowl. The big loss is Jaylen Samuels and possible Will Richardson (at LT if he goes pro). With an easier schedule next year than this year's gauntlet, I wouldn't be surprised to see State win 10 and contend with Clemson for the ACC Atlantic.

We'll have our hands full for sure. I'm looking forward to Sept. 1. It can't get here quick enough!

RE: JMU at NC State - BleedingPurple - 01-09-2018 04:52 PM

Can we also start one on the other OOC game? Seems all the pro-FCS folk would have a lot to share and want to discuss. Especially those who want to "schedule" the Dukes into the playoffs.

RE: JMU at NC State - JMad03 - 01-09-2018 04:56 PM

(01-09-2018 04:52 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  Can we also start one on the other OOC game? Seems all the pro-FCS folk would have a lot to share and want to discuss. Especially those who want to "schedule" the Dukes into the playoffs.

There's only one game, and that's the next one.

RE: JMU at NC State - olddawg - 01-09-2018 05:40 PM

NC State's receivers will give us fits. And it won't be because we're not covering them well. It'll be because they out physical us in bringing the ball in. They are some seriously good athletes, big fast & strong; the kind that have always given us fits (think UNC, WVU). Their top 3 WRs return and they are all 6'2"-6'3" and 205-215 lbs. They'll return a All ACC QB, RB and G as well. We'll see quickly how good our collection of P5 transfers are in containing these guys.

The good news is I believe their beast D-linemen graduated. And we will (hopefully) have the benefit of the former Pitt QB's insight on what NC State does on defense. He played against them last year. We'll have a punchers chance.