CSNbbs
Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals (/thread-839627.html)

Pages: 1 2

Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - MWC Tex - 01-09-2018 11:47 AM

https://nypost.com/2018/01/05/cable-tv-prices-keep-going-up-as-more-people-cut-the-cord/

States that Comcast is raising cable prices 2.2% and AT&T is raising Direct TV prices up to $8 in mid-January.

Also, states that smaller providers are increasing their rates also.

I have no doubt that more will be 'cord-cutting' or 'cord-shaving' and it will accelerate more this year than last year.

Some interesting facts to know as we analyze these numbers throughout the year.
Neilson TV Households for 2017-2018 TV season: 119.6 million.

From the article: Pay TV households 97.5 million.
Breakdown: 94 million is from cable/satellite, 3.5 million OTT services (Sling, PS Vue, Direct TV...etc)

This leaves OTA only households at: 22.1 million (#TV households - Pay TV households)

Fun Fact: Estimated Total households is 125.6 million (in 2016). Households with no TV: 6 million.

I'll see if I or we (with your collaboration) can do some estimation updates throughout the year as we get info throughout 2018 of the number cable/satellite subscriber losses and OTT and OTA gains. Quarterly reports are coming out next week so we should hear some details soon about the cable/satellite companies.

This will start to play a big role for several conferences as TV contracts will start to be negotiating later this year.

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite TV prices increasing (AT&T raising Direct TV up $8/month) - msm96wolf - 01-09-2018 02:03 PM

Just waiting for the ROKU Youtube TV App. Already left cable/SAS but PSVUE has raised prices and the missing app is the only thing that has kept me from switching.

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite TV prices increasing (AT&T raising Direct TV up $8/month) - MWC Tex - 02-22-2018 01:42 PM

With some earnings numbers out now, here is a recap for several companies for the whole year of 2017 of pay-TV.

Dish/Sling TV: While Sling added 700k to reach 2.212 million subscribers, Dish still had a net loss of 429,000 subscribers.

Comcast: Net year loss of 151,000

AT&T/DirectTV: Net year gain of 161,000 subscribers with the help of DirecTV Now. DirecTV Now has reached 1.2 million subscribers

Charter: Net loss of 292,000 customers.

All added together for these companies only is a net year loss of 711,000 subscribers...despite the internet pay-TV additions.

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subcriber Totals - MWC Tex - 02-22-2018 01:48 PM

Some newer info on the Internet Pay-TV:
https://www.fastcompany.com/40533930/cord-cutters-are-flocking-to-sling-tv-but-its-subscriber-count-holds-good-and-bad-news

Total internet pay TV subscribers: 4.83 million. (Includes Sling, DirecTV Now, PS Vue, YouTube Live and Hulu Live TV)

https://www.fastcompany.com/40519651/cord-cutting-blues-hulu-and-youtube-are-behind-in-the-race-to-replace-cable-tv
Info about Hulu and YouTube.

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subcriber Totals - solohawks - 02-22-2018 02:14 PM

(01-09-2018 02:03 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Just waiting for the ROKU Youtube TV App. Already left cable/SAS but PSVUE has raised prices and the missing app is the only thing that has kept me from switching.

sign up before mid march to get grandfathered in to the $35/month price. Or else it will be $40/month

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subcriber Totals - orangefan - 02-22-2018 02:56 PM

(02-22-2018 01:48 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Some newer info on the Internet Pay-TV:
https://www.fastcompany.com/40533930/cord-cutters-are-flocking-to-sling-tv-but-its-subscriber-count-holds-good-and-bad-news

Total internet pay TV subscribers: 4.83 million. (Includes Sling, DirecTV Now, PS Vue, YouTube Live and Hulu Live TV)

https://www.fastcompany.com/40519651/cord-cutting-blues-hulu-and-youtube-are-behind-in-the-race-to-replace-cable-tv
Info about Hulu and YouTube.

Correct.

Sling 2.21 million subscribers
DirecTV Now 1.2 million
Playstation Vue 670,000
Hulu Live 450,000
YouTube TV 300,000

Total: 4.83 million

Sling benefits from being first mover in addition to offering $20 and $25/month lowest tier packages.

DirecTV Now is bundling its service with AT&T wireless plans.

YouTube TV has been rolling out slowly as it only expands into markets where it can offer all major local channels. However, it's a great deal for sports fans at $35/month for subscribers signing up before 3/13.

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subcriber Totals - orangefan - 02-22-2018 03:34 PM

(01-09-2018 11:47 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  https://nypost.com/2018/01/05/cable-tv-prices-keep-going-up-as-more-people-cut-the-cord/

Breakdown: 94 million is from cable/satellite, 3.5 million OTT services (Sling, PS Vue, Direct TV...etc)

This leaves OTA only households at: 22.1 million (#TV households - Pay TV households)

Fun Fact: Estimated Total households is 125.6 million (in 2016). Households with no TV: 6 million.

One group missing from this number are those customers who rely on the internet only for TV viewing, Netflix, traditional YouTube, etc. By default, these must be included in the OTA or no TV groups. Some in the no TV group may in fact be watching or some listed in the OTA group may not actually have access to OTA.

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - TexanMark - 02-23-2018 02:05 PM

(01-09-2018 02:03 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Just waiting for the ROKU Youtube TV App. Already left cable/SAS but PSVUE has raised prices and the missing app is the only thing that has kept me from switching.

It is there now...

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - chess - 02-23-2018 09:18 PM

I am considering Youtube TV when my AT&T/DirecTV contract ends in June.

If I move to Youtube TV, I will keep AT&T internet and move my cell phones to Verizon.

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - EvanJ - 02-24-2018 09:56 AM

I can't imagine giving up TV. I know a family that has a lot of money but doesn't have cable. They like watching reality shows including Survivor and Big Brother, YouTube, and Netflix.

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - billybobby777 - 02-24-2018 05:46 PM

How many subscribers has ESPN lost? Any numbers on that please?

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - ColKurtz - 02-24-2018 06:27 PM

(02-24-2018 05:46 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  How many subscribers has ESPN lost? Any numbers on that please?

That's kind of harder to gauge because people don't "subscribe" to ESPN, they subscribe to cable/sat that carries ESPN. And ESPN is still getting its carriage fee ("ESPN subscribers") in streaming services like Sling, PS Vue, etc.

You'd have to take the total number of cable/sat cord-cutters over some time period, and subtract from that the total number of people who got a streaming service specifically to replace it.

The people who dropped cable and did not replace it with streaming are ESPNs losses. And even those losses are slightly mitigated by a small carriage fee to Disney by some ISPs who offer ESPN3.

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - billybobby777 - 02-24-2018 06:35 PM

(02-24-2018 06:27 PM)ColKurtz Wrote:  
(02-24-2018 05:46 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  How many subscribers has ESPN lost? Any numbers on that please?

That's kind of harder to gauge because people don't "subscribe" to ESPN, they subscribe to cable/sat that carries ESPN. And ESPN is still getting its carriage fee ("ESPN subscribers") in streaming services like Sling, PS Vue, etc.

You'd have to take the total number of cable/sat cord-cutters over some time period, and subtract from that the total number of people who got a streaming service specifically to replace it.

The people who dropped cable and did not replace it with streaming are ESPNs losses. And even those losses are slightly mitigated by a small carriage fee to Disney by some ISPs who offer ESPN3.

Well, my parents and Grandma dropped ESPN while still having basic cable including HBO at least for my parents. So you can still somehow have cable (in a small town in Oklahoma anyway--and not have ESPN. I'm very proud of them.

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - Captain Bearcat - 02-25-2018 07:24 PM

(02-24-2018 06:27 PM)ColKurtz Wrote:  

I wonder how many people are paying for ESPN twice?

For example, if you pay for cable TV for your home and you pay for Sling/PS Vue/etc for when you're on the road?

It wouldn't make any sense to me, but there's a lot of niche consumer behavior that doesn't make any sense to 90% of Americans.

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - Captain Bearcat - 02-25-2018 07:31 PM

(01-09-2018 11:47 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  https://nypost.com/2018/01/05/cable-tv-prices-keep-going-up-as-more-people-cut-the-cord/

States that Comcast is raising cable prices 2.2% and AT&T is raising Direct TV prices up to $8 in mid-January.

I have no doubt that more will be 'cord-cutting' or 'cord-shaving' and it will accelerate more this year than last year.

I'll see if I or we (with your collaboration) can do some estimation updates throughout the year as we get info throughout 2018 of the number cable/satellite subscriber losses and OTT and OTA gains. Quarterly reports are coming out next week so we should hear some details soon about the cable/satellite companies.

This will start to play a big role for several conferences as TV contracts will start to be negotiating later this year.

Are those "house" numbers or "household" numbers? How are timeshares counted? Are hotels counted?

If I own two homes, do I count twice?

You don't have to be a multimillionaire to own two homes - I know plenty of Midwesterners with small lakehouses whose total mortgage payment (main home + lake house + insurance + property taxes) is still half the cost of an average mortgage payment in California.

Just wondering because there's a lot of "getway" houses where having cable would defeat the purpose of being surrounded by nature. Depending on how things are counted, that could easily be 6 million homes.

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - MWC Tex - 02-25-2018 10:03 PM

(02-25-2018 07:31 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  

Are those "house" numbers or "household" numbers? How are timeshares counted? Are hotels counted?

If I own two homes, do I count twice?

You don't have to be a multimillionaire to own two homes - I know plenty of Midwesterners with small lakehouses whose total mortgage payment (main home + lake house + insurance + property taxes) is still half the cost of an average mortgage payment in California.

Just wondering because there's a lot of "getway" houses where having cable would defeat the purpose of being surrounded by nature. Depending on how things are counted, that could easily be 6 million homes.

Households according to how Neilsen states their estimate.
You'll have to dig in further with them to find your answer.

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - MWC Tex - 05-08-2018 10:22 PM

Dish lost 94,000 subscribers last quarter.
-185,000 sat subs. +91,000 in Sling subs.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/dish-loses-94000-pay-tv-subscribers-first-quarter-1109168

AT&T/Direct TV nets 124,000 last quarter.
-188,000 sat subs. +312,000 DirecTV Now
http://variety.com/2018/biz/news/att-q1-2018-directv-now-subscribers-1202786896/

Comcast lost 92,000 subscribers the past qtr.

Charter/Spectrum lost 122,000 subscribers last quarter.

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Cord-Cutting-Losses-Heavier-Than-Expected-in-First-Quarter-141730

Here is a reports regarding other sports channels.
http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2018/05/02/espn-lost-500000-subscribers-april/

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - MU88 - 05-09-2018 10:01 AM

500,000 in April alone.

ESPN

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - tigerjamesc - 05-09-2018 10:35 AM

I’m locked into cable...I’d like to get out but Comcast internet only is nearly the same price as internet + cable. The only other internet competitor offers 10mbps as their highest tier. We currently get 100mbps with Comcast. It’s a trap!

RE: Semi-OT: Cable & Satellite Subscriber Totals - USAFMEDIC - 05-09-2018 05:25 PM

I added USTVNOW to my Roku. It is free and you get a lot of channels including the big networks live. For a little extra you get more, including DVR. It was developed for US Military overseas, but is available stateside as well.