CSNbbs
Why P6 won't help the AAC - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Why P6 won't help the AAC (/thread-839265.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Why P6 won't help the AAC - Kittonhead - 01-04-2018 11:24 PM

The AAC has put on a big marketing campaign around becoming a P6 league thinking that if they could just become a P6 all of their issues surrounding TV revenue and perception can be solved.

The simple fact of the matter is the AAC could get a contract with a bowl for itself in an expanded CFP field and a larger TV deal but that wouldn't move the needle very far with the committee who will continue to trash its scheduled.

The AAC doesn't have a money problem. The problem is it lacks elite football programs which draw 70, 80, 90 thousand or more a game. Their place in college football won't change if they have a contract bowl.

One look at the overall conference ratings from last year shows its a futile climb.

Conference/Avg. Rating
ACC/41.42
SEC/45.60
B1G/45.73
PAC/46.41
B12/48.72
AAC/66.82
MWC/83.97
MAC/84.73
CUSA/91.81
SBC/101.93

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

There is 3 points of gap between what is regarded by most as the strongest football conference in the SEC and the B12 which is thought to be the weak man of the P5. The gap between the B12 and AAC is 18 points a 6 times larger gap.

Half of the AAC is a "P" material conference in Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Houston, Memphis, UConn. The other half with Temple, ECU, Navy, Tulane, SMU, Tulane is not "P" material. The recruiting potential of the AAC to catch the P5 in quality simply isn't there.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - Kittonhead - 01-04-2018 11:27 PM

The only way the AAC could make an 8 team playoff is if they are the representative of a G5 autobid.

P6 hype will go away after the new AAC contract is signed, IMO.

07-coffee3

Why P6 won't help the AAC - Jjoey52 - 01-04-2018 11:36 PM

All the P6 promotion has done is alienate every other G5 school and fans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - BePcr07 - 01-05-2018 12:13 AM

The P6 promotion doesn’t necessarily bother me. I think it’s brilliant. All 13 AAC schools are quality universities.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - Attackcoog - 01-05-2018 02:41 AM

(01-04-2018 11:24 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  The AAC has put on a big marketing campaign around becoming a P6 league thinking that if they could just become a P6 all of their issues surrounding TV revenue and perception can be solved.

The simple fact of the matter is the AAC could get a contract with a bowl for itself in an expanded CFP field and a larger TV deal but that wouldn't move the needle very far with the committee who will continue to trash its scheduled.

The AAC doesn't have a money problem. The problem is it lacks elite football programs which draw 70, 80, 90 thousand or more a game. Their place in college football won't change if they have a contract bowl.

One look at the overall conference ratings from last year shows its a futile climb.

Conference/Avg. Rating
ACC/41.42
SEC/45.60
B1G/45.73
PAC/46.41
B12/48.72
AAC/66.82
MWC/83.97
MAC/84.73
CUSA/91.81
SBC/101.93

There is 3 points of gap between what is regarded by most as the strongest football conference in the SEC and the B12 which is thought to be the weak man of the P5. The gap between the B12 and AAC is 18 points a 6 times larger gap.

Half of the AAC is a "P" material conference in Cincinnati, UCF, USF, Houston, Memphis, UConn. The other half with Temple, ECU, Navy, Tulane, SMU, Tulane is not "P" material. The recruiting potential of the AAC to catch the P5 in quality simply isn't there.

Its basic advertising. The key to getting paid in the G5 is differentiion. You must make your G5 widgets stand out as different and more interesting to watch than the others. Its basically branding.

The AAC has been delivering a quality product. The relative strength numbers you posted actually tend to show the AAC as being almost as far above the top of the other G5 conferences as they are from the bottom of the P5 conferences. That means the AAC product has already separated itself from the rest of the G5 and is now a middle tier. The P6 thing is a god way of branding and promoting that difference. Effectively, P6 is about making the the AAC a better media property. Better ratings means better pay.

I suspect it wont hurt ticket sales either--which brings me to attendance. I agree on the attendance point. What Ive said for a long time is the first G5 conference to start averaging about 40K a game will begin to morph into a power conference. The reason is--at that point--the combined audience is simply too big for the media to completley ignore. Plus, if your averaging 40K--you probably have at least 2 or 3 teams posting 50K to 60K a game in order to offset some of the lower performers. You'll have some really good programs in there to act as tent post programs.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - Chappy - 01-05-2018 07:58 AM

I think that the P6 campaign is trying to accomplish the same thing the BCS tag did, and bring up the bottom teams in the American conference.

According to former ECU head coach Steve Logan, the BCS really hurt ECU recruiting. It didn't really impact ECU when recruiting against NC State or UNC. Those schools always have and always will have more to offer most prospective student athletes. But suddenly we were losing recruits to Wake Forest and other schools that were not known for their football, all because of the BCS tag.

If we market ourselves as P6 - and high school kids buy in - it will help our schools land more recruits against other G5 programs. If they see a divide, then the P6 campaign will be a success.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - HeartOfDixie - 01-05-2018 09:47 AM

I think the impact of the P6 tagline is felt only a very short distance away from the people on this Board.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - goodknightfl - 01-05-2018 10:20 AM

(01-05-2018 02:41 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-04-2018 11:24 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  The AAC has put on a big marketing campaign around becoming a P6 league thinking that if they could just become a P6 all of their issues surrounding TV revenue and perception can be solved.

Conference/Avg. Rating
ACC/41.42
SEC/45.60
B1G/45.73
PAC/46.41
B12/48.72
AAC/66.82
MWC/83.97
MAC/84.73
CUSA/91.81
SBC/101.93

Its basic advertising. The key to getting paid in the G5 is differentiion. You must make your G5 widgets stand out as different and more interesting to watch than the others. Its basically branding.

The AAC has been delivering a quality product. The relative strength numbers you posted actually tend to show the AAC as being almost as far above the top of the other G5 conferences as they are from the bottom of the P5 conferences. That means the AAC product has already separated itself from the rest of the G5 and is now a middle tier. The P6 thing is a god way of branding and promoting that difference. Effectively, P6 is about making the the AAC a better media property. Better ratings means better pay.

I suspect it wont hurt ticket sales either--which brings me to attendance. I agree on the attendance point. What Ive said for a long time is the first G5 conference to start averaging about 40K a game will begin to morph into a power conference. The reason is--at that point--the combined audience is simply too big for the media to completley ignore. Plus, if your averaging 40K--you probably have at least 2 or 3 teams posting 50K to 60K a game in order to offset some of the lower performers. You'll have some really good programs in there to act as tent post programs.

the distance from AAC to G4 is almost exactly the same as B12 to AAC.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - oliveandblue - 01-05-2018 10:28 AM

The AAC will end up being a tweener conference. It will never be a power conference, but it will be competitively underneath them.

The AAC needs to improve its depth a bit. Once that us done, you have a good but not great league.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - Attackcoog - 01-05-2018 12:45 PM

(01-05-2018 10:20 AM)goodknightfl Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 02:41 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

Conference/Avg. Rating
ACC/41.42
SEC/45.60
B1G/45.73
PAC/46.41
B12/48.72
AAC/66.82
MWC/83.97
MAC/84.73
CUSA/91.81
SBC/101.93

the distance from AAC to G4 is almost exactly the same as B12 to AAC.

Exactly. The AAC is really more of a new middle tier. But thats not really much of a tag line. Hey---watch us---we are kinda halfway between two worlds. The job right now is to make the AAC seperattion from the rest of the G5 we see in the stats exist in the minds of the viewing public. In other worrds, the goal is to make the AAC different from the rest of the G5 for the typical viewer. I really dont see the P6 thing ever making the AAC a real part of the P5. I dont think thats the real goal. 04-cheers

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - DavidSt - 01-05-2018 01:26 PM

May I point out that tv ratings do not count these channels: CBSSports, NBC Sports, FS2, ESPNnews, ESPNU, BEIN, Cox Sports, Stadium and so forth. We do not really know how big the numbers would be if those channels were counted.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - JHS55 - 01-05-2018 01:52 PM

No more p5 memberships out there, so what do we do ?

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - YNot - 01-05-2018 02:40 PM

(01-05-2018 01:26 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  May I point out that tv ratings do not count these channels: CBSSports, NBC Sports, FS2, ESPNnews, ESPNU, BEIN, Cox Sports, Stadium and so forth. We do not really know how big the numbers would be if those channels were counted.
They're not counted because they're not significant. To add the ratings and viewership for these channels wouldn't change the discussion. At all.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - msm96wolf - 01-05-2018 05:43 PM

(01-05-2018 01:52 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  No more p5 memberships out there, so what do we do ?

Currently, I do think you may see some openings once the B12 question is answered in 2024. I do think B12 should have gone after one of the Florida schools and Colorado St or Memphis last year but ESPN and FOX killed that expansion idea.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - oliveandblue - 01-05-2018 06:27 PM

The P5 split just needs to happen. This whole thing is a charade and it needs to meet its logical end.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - gulfcoastgal - 01-05-2018 07:15 PM

Just pointing out that the ratings in the OP are Massey, not tv...to clarify any confusion.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - otown - 01-05-2018 07:45 PM

(01-05-2018 05:43 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 01:52 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  No more p5 memberships out there, so what do we do ?

Currently, I do think you may see some openings once the B12 question is answered in 2024. I do think B12 should have gone after one of the Florida schools and Colorado St or Memphis last year but ESPN and FOX killed that expansion idea.

The only big 12 question is gonna be if it continues as is or if it's broken up. If it's broken up, whoever is invited to join, is joining a G6 conference.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - Kittonhead - 01-05-2018 07:55 PM

(01-05-2018 07:45 PM)otown Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 05:43 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

The only big 12 question is gonna be if it continues as is or if it's broken up. If it's broken up, whoever is invited to join, is joining a G6 conference.

Traditionally I have been of the opinion that since the B12 is legally an autonomy conference any reloading of quality MWC/AAC schools would still make it a P5.

However with the committee in place.....A B12 champion post reconstruction may not be able to crack the Top 10 either. It may not be any better than what the AAC is right now.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - bullet - 01-05-2018 09:14 PM

Conference/Avg. Rating
ACC/41.42
SEC/45.60
B1G/45.73
PAC/46.41
B12/48.72
AAC/66.82
MWC/83.97
MAC/84.73
CUSA/91.81
SBC/101.93

They need what I said the Big East 2.0 needed after the first ACC raid. They need one school regularly in the top 25 and 2 other schools (not necessarily the same ones) in the top 25 each year. And they need a team each year to be top 15, preferably top 10. The Big East 2.0 did that. Of course, when they ticked off ESPN by turning down an offer better than the ACC deal, ESPN & friends picked them apart.

RE: Why P6 won't help the AAC - DavidSt - 01-05-2018 09:15 PM

So here are the ideas at where we are at.

AAC have strong teams that can beat P5 schools.
UCF
USF
Houston
Memphis
East Carolina
Temple
Navy
CinCinnati

2 have not done so lately like ECU and Cincinnati.

C-USA that beat P5 or play tough games.
UTEP not lately, but they almost upset Oklahoma a few years ago.
UTSA
Southern Miss.
La. Tech
Western Kentucky
Marshall

MWC have these schools.
Hawaii
San Diego State
Fresno State
UNR
Boise State
New Mexico
Air Force
Colorado State
Utah State
Wyoming

MAC have:
Toledo
Western Michigan
Central Michigan
Northern Illinois
Bowling Green

SBC?
SBC is up in the air on that issue. I would say Georgia Southern, Appalachian State and Troy.

UMass. is coming along to coming close beating several P5 schools lately.