CSNbbs
Miami's loss to Georgia Tech will likely hurt Aggies ranking - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: Miami's loss to Georgia Tech will likely hurt Aggies ranking (/thread-839148.html)

Miami's loss to Georgia Tech will likely hurt Aggies ranking - ProfScott - 01-03-2018 11:06 PM

Georgia Tech just took down Miami which will really hurt Miami's ranking and all those who beat Miami, including NMSU.
Georgia Tech lost at home to Grambling State which in turn got slaughtered by both GCU and SU.
As I've said before, basketball is a strange game.

RE: Miami's loss to Georgia Tech will likely hurt Aggies ranking - NMSUPistolPete - 01-03-2018 11:34 PM

It's all about match ups and timing. Georgia Tech is probably a better team now than when they played Grambling State. And, Miami's confidence might have been shaken slightly after losing to NMSU.

RE: Miami's loss to Georgia Tech will likely hurt Aggies ranking - FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 - 01-04-2018 01:01 AM

I don't think it will hurt NMSU's ranking. NMSU just has to continue to win. If we can go 14-0 in Sun Belt play and enter Las Vegas 27-3, that is going to be huge.

RE: Miami's loss to Georgia Tech will likely hurt Aggies ranking - LopesUp - 01-04-2018 11:37 AM

(01-04-2018 01:01 AM)FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Wrote:  I don't think it will hurt NMSU's ranking. NMSU just has to continue to win. If we can go 14-0 in Sun Belt play and enter Las Vegas 27-3, that is going to be huge.

Great points Frank. Good luck in the Sun Belt conference tournament. This will surely make it much easier for all teams gunning for the WAC Tournament title. Lopes Up! COGS

RE: Miami's loss to Georgia Tech will likely hurt Aggies ranking - dancingNMSUaggie - 01-04-2018 02:26 PM

Going 14-0 and winning 3 games in Vegas is a very very tall order. I see us going 12-2 with road losses to GCU and UVU. I see us as favorites in the WAC tourney even with the havoc goobers there.

RE: Miami's loss to Georgia Tech will likely hurt Aggies ranking - edinburger - 01-04-2018 03:13 PM

(01-03-2018 11:06 PM)ProfScott Wrote:  Georgia Tech just took down Miami which will really hurt Miami's ranking and all those who beat Miami, including NMSU.
Georgia Tech lost at home to Grambling State which in turn got slaughtered by both GCU and SU.
As I've said before, basketball is a strange game.

Will it really have that much effect? Real Time RPI already factored in the game, Miami dropped from 23 to 26, which dropped NMSU from 40 to 41, so the third-order effect on the rest of the WAC is probably less than 1 position in the RPI.

As far as polls, it was a bit of an upset but losing to any ACC team doesn't seem like that big of an embarrassment.

RE: Miami's loss to Georgia Tech will likely hurt Aggies ranking - dancingNMSUaggie - 01-05-2018 11:48 AM

Wishful thinking by GCU fans....

RE: Miami's loss to Georgia Tech will likely hurt Aggies ranking - Stugray2 - 01-05-2018 01:26 PM

It makes no difference. There is no way NMSU can get an at-large bid, except going 14-0 and losing in the WAC Championship game or semi-final due to some fluke situation the committee takes into account, and there is no stronger mid-major to take that 4th at-large (AAC is getting 2 and WCC is getting 1). Even finishing 16-1 the Illinois State snub would loom.

RE: Miami's loss to Georgia Tech will likely hurt Aggies ranking - Raider_Lope - 01-05-2018 08:13 PM

(01-05-2018 01:26 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  It makes no difference. There is no way NMSU can get an at-large bid, except going 14-0 and losing in the WAC Championship game or semi-final due to some fluke situation the committee takes into account, and there is no stronger mid-major to take that 4th at-large (AAC is getting 2 and WCC is getting 1). Even finishing 16-1 the Illinois State snub would loom.

I think C-USA can get two this year, potentially... if Middle Tennessee has a fluke loss in the conference tourney but wins the rest of their conference games, I could see them still going. Between Old Dominion, Marshall, and Western Kentucky, it could potentially happen. That’d make it even tougher for a second WAC team or MVC team.

RE: Miami's loss to Georgia Tech will likely hurt Aggies ranking - PojoaquePosse - 01-08-2018 09:10 AM

Miami just beat #24 Florida State. Does that mean we are going to get an RPI bump? 03-cloud9