CSNbbs
W&M @ JMU hoops - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: W&M @ JMU hoops (/thread-838818.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

W&M @ JMU hoops - Hart Foundation - 12-31-2017 10:19 PM

The Dukes are in the midst of playing 4 games in 8 days before the normal CAA cadence of 2 games per week starts in the 2nd semester.

The nerds have ramped it up on offense this year and are leading the nation with 12 made 3pt shots per game at a ridiculous 46% clip. Hopefully Rowe makes this a full court game to leverage athleticism as well as giving W&M less time to run set offense. In a half court game, the Tribe will carve up the Dukes with a boatload of backdoor cuts and inside-out 3pt shots.
As good as W&M is on offense, they are almost as bad on defense. The one difference is that they have a rim protector and that really hasn’t been a part of their roster makeup in many years. Nathan Knight has been very impressive in his Sophomore year averaging 3 blocks a game to go along with 20 pts and 7 rebounds.

Who will Rowe put on the floor to matchup with W&M? IMO, The more guards the better. It is long overdue for McLean to get off the ball and be the 5’10” shooting guard JMU needs him to be. He has proven in his career that he is most effective in that role. While the Dukes have looked like a crappy team this year, they can win a run and jump game against th nerds.
If you like offense, you will like watching this game.

Gotta win at home.
The Dukes will play at W&M only 9 days later.

JMU 87
W&M 86

p.s. don’t forget about the Hoops team during FCS championship week. The day before the championship game they play Hofstra; the day after the championship game they play Northeastern. Perhaps the Hofstra game can be streamed at the Pep Rally Friday night in Frisco. 04-cheers

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - Dukes84 - 01-01-2018 10:00 AM

Hart --

This JMU team's current RPI is 329 and they're projected to go 6-12 in the CAA and finish with 10 wins, with one against a D3 squad. That's against 21 losses. Having said that, statistically this is showing as a very close game versus the Tribe. That same site, incidentally, shows NE as a top 100 team, along with Towson and with Charleston just outside of that. Dukes may very well lose all 4 games during this opening stretch of 9 days.

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - Wear Purple - 01-01-2018 10:27 AM

Using Sagarin's power ratings as a basis, W&M should open somewhere around a 1 pt favorite.

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - Dukesfan71 - 01-01-2018 10:46 AM

The Tribe goes 18-28 from 3. We lose 90-84.

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - Wear Purple - 01-01-2018 11:05 AM

Reminder...the game will be streamed live via College Sports Live.

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - JMUNation - 01-01-2018 11:07 AM

The Tribe will get blown out on nights they don’t shoot well and could win big on nights they do shoot well. For JMU to win against them, they have to hope the Tribe is not shooting well that night. Our defense is not going to win games for us. Doesn’t look like the Tribe’s defense will win games for them either.

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - Wear Purple - 01-01-2018 06:04 PM

Wow! Dukes open as 2-pt favorites.

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - Hart Foundation - 01-01-2018 07:07 PM

That is a surprising line, but it is a home game against a bad defensive team. The Dukes should have the ability to force the pace and keep this from being a game of HORSE.

Just checked out W&M’s players stats again. They have not one, but 2 guys shooting better than 50% from the 3pt line. Off the charts good.

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - nyduke - 01-01-2018 08:53 PM

dukes win a close one

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - Wear Purple - 01-02-2018 11:09 AM

Other games in the CAA tonight...(all 7pmET tips)

-Delaware (1-0) +9.5 at Charleston (1-0)

-Towson (0-1) -1.5 at Elon (1-0)

-Drexel (0-1) +2 at UNCW (0-1)

-Hofstra (0-1) +4.5 at Northeastern (1-0)

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - WMTribe90 - 01-02-2018 11:49 AM

I expect a close game tonight, but was also a bit surprised that WM opened up a dog on the road. I think most comments in this thread are on the mark. I would disagree with the comment that this WM squad will live and die by the 3-pt shot. If you check the Hofstra game stats you will see that Hofstra, especially in the second half, focused on guarding the 3. As a result, WM only took 7 3-pointers in the 2nd half. We made 4 of those attempts including 2 in the final 30 seconds. Point being, we scored 90 points in a game where we only attempted 15 3-pointers (8 makes). This WM squad has the ability to score in various ways. Against Hofstra, Nathan Knight abused Gustys to score 31. All of our 3-pt shooters also are great at stepping in and pulling up for the mid range jumper if you over-play the 3-pt line. We will also look to selectively run when the opportunity exists and there's always the back-door cuts and pick-n-roll action. In other words, this offense is much more diverse than just chucking it up from deep. We are definitely vulnerable on defense, especially to teams with quick/athletic guards. JMU will likely need to score in the 80s to win this game.

Few stats on our 3-pt shooters. Milon and Burchfield are both top 3 in the nation in 3-pt shooting percentage at 54% and 57%, respectively. In addition, we have two other starters (Cohn and Pierce) and our sixth man (Rowley) all shooting over 40% from 3. Even the big man Knight is shooting a respectable 30% from deep. As a team, WM is shooting 46% from 3 on the season (1st in the nation). Again, individuals may have off nights, but we have not had a game yet to my recollection where at least a couple guys didn't go off from deep.

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - TribePride91 - 01-02-2018 01:24 PM

(01-02-2018 11:09 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Other games in the CAA tonight...(all 7pmET tips)

Still trying to figure out who the top teams are this year. Based on what I have followed so far, I think Charleston, Towson and Northeastern are likely the top 3, but not sure. Hofstra definitely looked pretty good Saturday as well. Elon usually wins at home, so that would be a tough 0-2 start on the road for Towson.

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - WMTribe90 - 01-02-2018 01:53 PM

(01-02-2018 01:24 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  
(01-02-2018 11:09 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Other games in the CAA tonight...(all 7pmET tips)

Still trying to figure out who the top teams are this year. Based on what I have followed so far, I think Charleston, Towson and Northeastern are likely the top 3, but not sure. Hofstra definitely looked pretty good Saturday as well. Elon usually wins at home, so that would be a tough 0-2 start on the road for Towson.

I've seen every CAA team at least once on TV with the exceptions of UD and NU. Here's my best guess:

Charleston
Towson
Northeastern
Elon
WM
Hofstra
Delaware
JMU
Drexel
UNCW

If I had to put them in buckets:

Charleston/Towson

NU/Elon/WM/Hofstra

UD/JMU/Drexel

UNCW

Very little separation though from top to bottom. Road wins will be key.

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - JacksonHall - 01-02-2018 03:11 PM

W and M shot a ridiculous 53% from 3 against Hofstra (8 of 15), but also had the inside game from Knight with 31 points, 11 rebounds and 8 blocks. I hate to be negative, but even with down years in talent Tony Shaver has put coached JMU coaches. I don't see much of a chance to win this game unless Moseley is on fire and Phillips shows a combination of effort and smarts.

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - Sr Townie for JMU - 01-02-2018 06:27 PM

Why isn't this game on CAA tv?

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - Wear Purple - 01-02-2018 06:29 PM

(01-02-2018 06:27 PM)Sr Townie for JMU Wrote:  Why isn't this game on CAA tv?

CAA has this contract with College Sports Live where they would stream one CAA FB game per week and then about 14 or so CAA MBB games. This one was selected...and our other one at Northeastern this upcoming Sunday.

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - PGJMU2 - 01-02-2018 06:41 PM

i can predict the dukes winning a caa game until i see they can actually win a game.

They have some talent and potential, but right now, that is all it is.....

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - Centdukesfan - 01-02-2018 06:42 PM

anyone have a chromecastable link?

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - Wear Purple - 01-02-2018 06:52 PM

(01-02-2018 06:41 PM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  i can predict the dukes winning a caa game until i see they can actually win a game.

They have some talent and potential, but right now, that is all it is.....

The O/U is set at 159.5 with the Dukes laying 1.5 pts.

I'm looking at the over as a 1 unit play tonight. If the Good Guys don't play any better defense than we did this past Saturday, I can see W&M scoring triple digits. I do think we'll play better D but I still see both teams getting into the 80's (at least).

Go Dukes!

RE: W&M @ JMU hoops - Wear Purple - 01-02-2018 07:12 PM

Defensive intensity is significantly better in the first 3 minutes than anything I saw in 40 minutes against NU. I imagine HCLR chewed on some hind parts over the past couple of days. Hopefully, it will continue.