CSNbbs
W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year (/thread-838730.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - TDenverFan - 12-30-2017 06:14 PM

I didn't want this to get buried in the Hofstra game thread, but Huge announced it at halftime of the Hofstra game - both men's and women's basketball will get COA stipends. Big development for the program, shows we are willing to commit to basketball.

Anyone know how many CAA teams offer it currently?

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - Tribe32 - 12-30-2017 06:16 PM

Another big/Huge move by the new AD

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - tribeinexile - 12-30-2017 06:38 PM

And she was able to swing it before the new President was announced.

Impressive!

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - zablenoise - 12-30-2017 06:56 PM

That is big big big. I don't like COA but I do like that Huge has a vision for our basketball programs.

W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - Tribal - 12-30-2017 06:56 PM

Major news.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - billymac - 12-30-2017 06:59 PM

Yeah, huge news. Thanks to the donors who stepped up to make it happen.

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - Mrs. Got Ribe - 12-30-2017 07:18 PM

Samantha gets it! I think (hope) we will continue to see good things happen for basketball. One of the first things she did was ask for a cost comparison of basketball spending of teams in our conference. We will be constrained by budgets, but I think she will work hard to find more money.

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - zablenoise - 12-30-2017 07:21 PM

(12-30-2017 07:18 PM)Mrs. Got Ribe Wrote:  Samantha gets it! I think (hope) we will continue to see good things happen for basketball. One of the first things she did was ask for a cost comparison of basketball spending of teams in our conference. We will be constrained by budgets, but I think she will work hard to find more money.

Wow. I love this. It's such a simple, basic step but absolutely necessary if we want our program to be competitive.

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - nj alum - 12-30-2017 08:15 PM

Why is it that our new AD, with less basketball experience than our old AD, gets it?

Kudos to the AD!

These Saturday non-student games have been barn-burners (ODU and Hofstra) with good attendance. The school needs to capitalize. The AD needs to split the schedule between student games, and non-student games, re: marketing and tickets.

Went to buy my tix on Friday for the Hofstra game. Greeted with sign at door that ticket office closed 12/21 to 1/2, and to order tickets on-line. There has to be a better way! :-)

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - Naptown Tribe - 12-30-2017 08:37 PM

Game Changer for sure ... hope this can help us land a good big man recruit to round out next year’s class!

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - WMTribe90 - 12-30-2017 08:43 PM

I disagree on principle with the COA stipends unless they are applied on a need basis because its just another tool for the big boys to separate from the rest of Division I, especially in football.

That said, its a great sign the Huge was able to accomplish this in such a short time and shows there is a real commitment to fielding a top notch mid-major program at WM. Kudos to her!!

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - WMInTheBurg - 12-30-2017 08:55 PM

This is especially big news while we're still in the running for a couple uncommitted big man recruits. Well done!

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - soccerguy315 - 12-30-2017 09:25 PM

this is awesome. kudos

like some others, I am against the COA idea, but it is happening and we need to participate to get where we want to be as a program.

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - Zorch - 12-30-2017 10:52 PM

I think there is basically something wrong that only basketball players seem to be deserving of cost of attendance but not student athletes in any other sports (and what about non-athletes? - who pays for their incidentals?).

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - Tribe2011 - 12-30-2017 10:57 PM

This is big news, and critically important. Was definitely needed if we are going to continue our recent success.

However, I'm not sure this is going to actively make our recruiting better in the future, as I believe most of our competitors were already offering this or had announced plans to. This is more about keeping up.

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - WMInTheBurg - 12-31-2017 10:24 AM

(12-30-2017 10:52 PM)Zorch Wrote:  I think there is basically something wrong that only basketball players seem to be deserving of cost of attendance but not student athletes in any other sports (and what about non-athletes? - who pays for their incidentals?).

Basketball makes more money than other sports do, and both MBB & WBB combined have around 25 scholarship players. This is complaining for the sake of complaining.

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - Sitting bull - 12-31-2017 10:48 AM

(12-30-2017 10:52 PM)Zorch Wrote:  I think there is basically something wrong that only basketball players seem to be deserving of cost of attendance but not student athletes in any other sports (and what about non-athletes? - who pays for their incidentals?).

Not a bad point but an odd response to this breaking news. Do you have to look for a turd in every punch bowl? The question has always been as long as this came forward whether the CAA and its members would provide for basketball only.

Also in the camp against COA in general though it's part of the college environment now and nothing we can do to change that. The news to me is a positive, signals W&M recognizes the importance of competing at this level and not sticking to a principal that just drives the program into oblivion.

Things are happening under Ms Huge. Congrats to her and the early impact she is having on Tribe Athletics.

W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - WM_Destro - 12-31-2017 11:24 AM

Presently, how many CAA conference members have or have announced COA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - Tribal - 12-31-2017 11:44 AM

(12-31-2017 11:24 AM)WM_Destro Wrote:  Presently, how many CAA conference members have or have announced COA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know of JMU, UNCW, Towson, Delaware, and us.

I haven't heard anything lately, but Charleston was looking at it and Elon was opposed to offering COA.

RE: W&M to provide COA for Basketball Starting Next Year - bubbadog57 - 12-31-2017 12:32 PM

Samantha Huge again makes a positive impact....this is wonderful news for Tony and his hardworking staff.