CSNbbs
Early Look All-MAC MBB - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+---- Thread: Early Look All-MAC MBB (/thread-838601.html)

Pages: 1 2

Early Look All-MAC MBB - emu steve - 12-29-2017 09:51 AM

Starting this thread. I'll nominate one and let others nominate the rest (Wes Clark might be the sleeper pick. I'll let a Bulls fan nominate him).

Curious what our top 5 or 10 looks like AFTER the OOC season is over (compared to the pre-season. None of the MAC writers apparently knew about Minnie and Jackson at EMU. Don't know how much they knew about Wes Clark at UB).

First team center and POY: James Thompson IV.

I'll nominate both Minnie (PF) and Jackson (PG) for the 2nd team.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - cleveland - 12-29-2017 10:00 AM

(12-29-2017 09:51 AM)emu steve Wrote:  Starting this thread. I'll nominate one and let others nominate the rest (Wes Clark might be the sleeper pick. I'll let a Bulls fan nominate him).

Curious what our top 5 or 10 looks like AFTER the OOC season is over (compared to the pre-season. None of the MAC writers apparently knew about Minnie and Jackson at EMU. Don't know how much they knew about Wes Clark at UB).

First team center and POY: James Thompson IV.

I'll nominate both Minnie (PF) and Jackson (PG) for the 2nd team.

CJ Massinburg at UB is on a POY pace as well.

German at NIU looks like first-teamer as well. .... right now.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - GoBullsGo - 12-29-2017 10:58 AM

As of right now I'd say Massinburg 1st team, Clark 1st/2nd team and Perkins 2nd/Honorable Mention. Massinburg is Buffalo's best bet at first team and POTY for the time being. Clark's sample size is just too small to predict at this point but early returns are promising. Perkins for UB has 1st team talent as well but he's back to coming off the bench as 6th man due to early foul trouble and he's had some issues keeping his emotion in check.

Caruthers was Defensive POTY last year but it seems as though he'll continue to be sidelined for at least a couple weeks due to injury so I doubt he'll be in the running this year. UB's freshman aren't getting enough play time to warrant any freshman honors, but Jayvon Graves has been coming along nicely and Reese plays good defense. Bertram isn't ready yet.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - emu steve - 12-29-2017 11:22 AM

(12-29-2017 10:58 AM)GoBullsGo Wrote:  As of right now I'd say Massinburg 1st team, Clark 1st/2nd team and Perkins 2nd/Honorable Mention. Massinburg is Buffalo's best bet at first team and POTY for the time being. Clark's sample size is just too small to predict at this point but early returns are promising. Perkins for UB has 1st team talent as well but he's back to coming off the bench as 6th man due to early foul trouble and he's had some issues keeping his emotion in check.

Caruthers was Defensive POTY last year but it seems as though he'll continue to be sidelined for at least a couple weeks due to injury so I doubt he'll be in the running this year. UB's freshman aren't getting enough play time to warrant any freshman honors, but Jayvon Graves has been coming along nicely and Reese plays good defense. Bertram isn't ready yet.

One of the problems Clark may have is 'competing' with Massinburg for 1st team just like Minnie is 'competing' with JT4 for 1st team for EMU.

My guess is that only one from each school will make 1st team.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - BullBoy - 12-29-2017 11:25 AM

(12-29-2017 11:22 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(12-29-2017 10:58 AM)GoBullsGo Wrote:  As of right now I'd say Massinburg 1st team, Clark 1st/2nd team and Perkins 2nd/Honorable Mention. Massinburg is Buffalo's best bet at first team and POTY for the time being. Clark's sample size is just too small to predict at this point but early returns are promising. Perkins for UB has 1st team talent as well but he's back to coming off the bench as 6th man due to early foul trouble and he's had some issues keeping his emotion in check.

One of the problems Clark may have is 'competing' with Massinburg for 1st team just like Minnie is 'competing' with JT4 for 1st team for EMU.

That's possible. But if they each continue to average over 19.0 points a game and Massinburg continues to average 8.0 rebounds and Clark around 6.0 assists, it will be hard.

Yes the sample size for Clark is small, but a lot of it will depend on how UB does as a team. If you can go 15-3 in conference, not saying they will, it is a lot easier to justify having two guys on the first team.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - bcunn3128 - 12-29-2017 11:44 AM

I have to think Fletcher from Toledo is in the mix for 1st team or at the least 2nd team at the moment...pretty good numbers (17 ppg, 9 rpg), and has meant a lot to the Rockets...we'd be a couple games under .500 at this point without him.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - NIU007 - 12-29-2017 12:02 PM

Eugene German is the only guy from NIU I can think of, probably should be at least 2nd team. He doesn't get many assists but he can score.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - emu steve - 12-29-2017 12:45 PM

(12-29-2017 11:25 AM)BullBoy Wrote:  
(12-29-2017 11:22 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

That's possible. But if they each continue to average over 19.0 points a game and Massinburg continues to average 8.0 rebounds and Clark around 6.0 assists, it will be hard.

Yes the sample size for Clark is small, but a lot of it will depend on how UB does as a team. If you can go 15-3 in conference, not saying they will, it is a lot easier to justify having two guys on the first team.

Kind of crazy, but EMU has three strong candidates. JT4, Minnie and Jackson are all having very good seasons.

My guess is that Massingburg, JT4, etc. make 1st team and players like Clark, Minnie, and Jackson all strong candidates for 2nd team.

I believe without JT4, Minnie might be a 1st team candidate. He has the numbers!

(P.S. as far as numbers, one has to remember that JT4 is running away with rebounds . Not close.).

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - GoBullsGo - 02-03-2018 01:33 PM

We've reached the halfway point. I'd name Fletcher from Toledo as my favorite for MAC player of the year at the moment. Massinburg, Wilder, Walker, and Perkins I think all have a shot as well.

UB has 4 guys worthy of being put on some All-MAC squad be it 1st, 2nd or Honorable Mention: Massinburg, Perkins, Clark and Harris. Of those, I think Harris would be the most likely snub which would be a crime because he's become our most consistent offensive player lately.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - inductchuck16 - 02-03-2018 01:57 PM

MAC POY candidate Tre'Shaun Fletcher in today's 21-point win vs. Akron on the road: 23 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - Rocket75 - 02-03-2018 05:22 PM

Fletcher is definitely most valuable player. Toledo would be back in the pack without him.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - DICK - 02-03-2018 09:24 PM

Darrien Ringo...Miami Ringo leads the MAC in assists and steals (top 5 and top 10 nationally), he has intimidated and shut down guys like German of NIU and Ball State's good point guard.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - pono - 02-04-2018 07:02 AM

(02-03-2018 01:57 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  MAC POY candidate Tre'Shaun Fletcher in today's 21-point win vs. Akron on the road: 23 points, 9 rebounds, 5 assists.

only 1 turnover as the primary ball handler and shot 60% from 3

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - Hiller4Hyz09 - 02-06-2018 09:44 AM

(12-29-2017 12:02 PM)NIU007 Wrote:  Eugene German is the only guy from NIU I can think of, probably should be at least 2nd team. He doesn't get many assists but he can score.

He's a player, for sure.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - UofToledoFans - 02-06-2018 07:47 PM

Fletcher has 15 at half against NIU. No defensive energy from the Huskies at all.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - H2Oville Rocket - 02-06-2018 10:03 PM

German has 1,000,000 in the second half as he trots past Rocket defensive statuary for uncontested layup after uncontested layup. No defensive energy from Rockets. No offensive energy from Rockets. A couple guys seemed a little excited about the timeouts. German looked All-World tonight.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - UofToledoFans - 02-07-2018 05:33 PM

What are the most relevant stats? Points? Assists? Assist to turnover ratio? Rebounds? I feel like steals and blocks are not valued as highly because the disparity is 3.1 to 2.5pg or whatever they end up being. Is points in MAC games important? Minutes? Your teams success?

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - H2Oville Rocket - 02-07-2018 11:17 PM

(02-07-2018 05:33 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  What are the most relevant stats? Points? Assists? Assist to turnover ratio? Rebounds? I feel like steals and blocks are not valued as highly because the disparity is 3.1 to 2.5pg or whatever they end up being. Is points in MAC games important? Minutes? Your teams success?

Years ago Craig Thames had one of the greatest seasons in MAC history, showing up in the Top Fifteen in every statistical category IIRC, including blocked shots at 5’ 10”. He didn’t get a sniff for POY so who knows.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - UofToledoFans - 02-08-2018 03:15 PM

Fletcher is 3rd in scoring at 18.8ppg, 3rd in rebounding at 8.5rpg, 4th in assists at 4.3, 8th in A/TO ratio at 1.7, 7th in minutes. The team is in 2nd place. As far as I can see there are some other players spread across the board with good stats like JT4 and ringo and Massinburg... but no one near the top in PPG, assists, and rebounding but Fletch.

RE: Early Look All-MAC MBB - axeme - 02-08-2018 06:26 PM

I’ve always thought stats were a good starting point, but shouldn’t be the ultimate determining factor for individual awards. There are just too many other factors that play into individual performance, like the teammates you play with, the tempo you play at, etc. One player’s 16 ppg./8 reb. might be better than another’s 18/10. I think the subjective element is really important. You have to weigh a lot more than raw stats.