CSNbbs
Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? (/thread-835950.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - quo vadis - 12-03-2017 01:22 PM

I've thought all along that there wouldn't be a push to move beyond a 4-team playoff as long as the B1G and SEC, the only conferences that truly matter, were OK with the status quo.

But the B1G champ getting excluded while the SEC gets two in? Can you imagine the fury and exasperation at B1G Headquarters right now?

This might cause the B1G to be galvanized to demand a model that guarantees their champ a playoff spot, which would mean 8 teams.

Possible?

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - chargeradio - 12-03-2017 01:31 PM

(12-03-2017 01:22 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I've thought all along that there wouldn't be a push to move beyond a 4-team playoff as long as the B1G and SEC, the only conferences that truly matter, were OK with the status quo.

But the B1G champ getting excluded while the SEC gets two in? Can you imagine the fury and exasperation at B1G Headquarters right now?

This might cause the B1G to be galvanized to demand a model that guarantees their champ a playoff spot, which would mean 8 teams.

Possible?
The B1G would be doing quite well with an eight team playoff and no AQs:

#1 Clemson vs #8 TBA (likely USC over an idle Penn State) - Sugar
#4 Alabama vs #5 Ohio State - Rose
#2 Oklahoma vs #7 Auburn - Las Vegas or Holiday
#3 Georgia vs #6 Wisconsin - Peach

I think the Citrus Bowl would be promoted to a quarterfinal, with perhaps a newly upgraded Las Vegas Bowl or Holiday as the fourth “western” bowl in the New Year’s Eight.

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - Kittonhead - 12-03-2017 01:42 PM

4 team playoff screw jobs will make discussion about an 8 team playoff possible.

An 8 team playoff though will require winning 3 games against elite competition to claim a title though. Three games to mobilize the fanbase. P5 conferences already play a regular season of mostly elite competition plus a conference championship game.

What they should move to IMO is a point system where they give points for different outcomes instead of a committee. Keep things objective.

5 points: Major victory over winning FBS competition (15 plus points)
4 points: Victory over winning FBS competition
2 points: Close loss over winning FBS competition
1 points: Large loss over winning FBS competition

If the system was set up this way, how opponents fared would matter. Also incentivizes scheduling up because you only get playoff points by playing good teams.

Schedule could benefit the AAC since their overall records are pretty close to the P5 level.

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - johnbragg - 12-03-2017 02:04 PM

At the end of the contract, yes. PAC, XII and now B1G have all tasted the humiliation of being left out. I don't think ACC has, but I'm too busy to google right now.

If UCF wins, that makes the case for the G5 Access Bowl spot to convert to an autobid.

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - Kittonhead - 12-03-2017 02:12 PM

(12-03-2017 02:04 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  At the end of the contract, yes. PAC, XII and now B1G have all tasted the humiliation of being left out. I don't think ACC has, but I'm too busy to google right now.

If UCF wins, that makes the case for the G5 Access Bowl spot to convert to an autobid.

But the CFP contract lasts in some cases beyond the length of P5 TV contracts.

Is the P5 then going to deal with the 4 team playoff by becoming a P4? If OU was in the B1G that gives the B1G a program in the playoff. TCU and Texas would add some depth to the PAC.

I think we are looking at a P4 with the B12 the new tweener with Col St, BYU, Houston, Memphis ect. with enough fans to hold down a contract bowl. This will lessen pressure to expand G5 access to the system.

G5 at the moment has conference membership of 10, 12, 14. They'll probably end up 10-12 to split money less ways...P5 will all be 14,16 to maximize inventory.

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - DoubleRSU - 12-03-2017 02:20 PM

(12-03-2017 01:42 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  4 team playoff screw jobs will make discussion about an 8 team playoff possible.

An 8 team playoff though will require winning 3 games against elite competition to claim a title though. Three games to mobilize the fanbase. P5 conferences already play a regular season of mostly elite competition plus a conference championship game.

What they should move to IMO is a point system where they give points for different outcomes instead of a committee. Keep things objective.

5 points: Major victory over winning FBS competition (15 plus points)
4 points: Victory over winning FBS competition
2 points: Close loss over winning FBS competition
1 points: Large loss over winning FBS competition

If the system was set up this way, how opponents fared would matter. Also incentivizes scheduling up because you only get playoff points by playing good teams.

Schedule could benefit the AAC since their overall records are pretty close to the P5 level.

I kinda like this, but its too simple. What you're saying is a win over 7-5 UTEP by 55 points equals the same over a 17 point win over 10-2 USC? Don't think so.

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - USAFMEDIC - 12-03-2017 02:21 PM

It always should have been the top 8 seeded teams playing 4 New Years Day Bowls. Bid semis and finals to highest bidder.

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - bullet - 12-03-2017 02:22 PM

(12-03-2017 01:22 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  I've thought all along that there wouldn't be a push to move beyond a 4-team playoff as long as the B1G and SEC, the only conferences that truly matter, were OK with the status quo.

Possible?

Big 10 champs have now been left out 2 years in a row. It was the Big 12 champs in years 1 and 3 and the Pac 12 champs in 2 and 4.

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - msm96wolf - 12-03-2017 02:39 PM

No, but I do think we need to go back to the BCS rankings. Use all data points possible. The BCS started screwing up when they pulled margin of victory. This is football not soccer, your suppose to trample the weak and walk over the dead. 03-wink

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - Stugray2 - 12-03-2017 02:42 PM

No it'd be simpler than that

Seeds #1-5 Conference Champions
1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State
5. Southern California
Seeds #6-8 at-large
6. Alabama (to this point consensus)

7. Auburn
8. Wisconsin

just left off would be
9. Miami
10. Texas Christian

11. (hum, Washington? Penn State?)
G5: Central Florida

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - UTEPDallas - 12-03-2017 02:42 PM

Expect rumblings from Delaney and to some extent Larry Scott. The Big Ten is the most important P5 conference, one of their three blue bloods got left out and both not playing in the most important bowl, the Rose, is not helping either.

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - SDHornet - 12-03-2017 02:58 PM

With Ohio State and Wisconsin getting 5 & 6, does this mean they rematch in a premier bowl game? If so the B1G would reap the entire payout from that bowl, no? How does that payout compare to what that conference would have seen with a "playoff" bowl? Big enough difference to make complaining worthwhile?

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - orangefan - 12-03-2017 03:15 PM

The Big 12 and Pac 12 have already been making noises about wanting 8. https://www.hustlebelt.com/2017/10/28/16565346/pac-12-and-big-12-advocate-for-8-team-playoff

If the exclusion of Ohio State does motivate the Big Ten to join that pair, that may provide enough momentum to make it happen,

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - Shannon Panther - 12-03-2017 03:15 PM

(12-03-2017 02:42 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  No it'd be simpler than that

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State
5. Southern California
Seeds #6-8 at-large

7. Auburn
8. Wisconsin

just left off would be
9. Miami
10. Texas Christian

If they go to an 8 team playoff, I can guarantee there will be a cap of 2 teams per conference. So either Alabama or Auburn would be out and likely UCF, TCU or Miami would get in.

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - orangefan - 12-03-2017 03:18 PM

Delaney going to be on ESPN shortly

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - ColKurtz - 12-03-2017 03:44 PM

Nothing is going to change until the end of the current CFP contract. Even then I think they'll wait and see what happens with the B12. If texas and OU bolt, that would essentially remove any incentive to expand.

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - msm96wolf - 12-03-2017 04:25 PM

(12-03-2017 02:04 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  At the end of the contract, yes. PAC, XII and now B1G have all tasted the humiliation of being left out. I don't think ACC has, but I'm too busy to google right now.

It amazes me how people still don't get how this system works. G5 is for teams who don't have a CONTRACTUAL TIE-IN to Orange, Rose, Sugar or Fiesta. It has nothing to do with auto bids. The Orange, Sugar and Rose are in place for 8 more years. In the last two years, depending on what the future holds, this is when the contracts change. IF it were to stay as is, I think you could see the following happen to try and help with match ups. Rose will never give up dual tie-ins.

Rose - P12 vs B12
Sugar - SEC vs At-large
Cotton B12 vs At-large
Orange ACC vs At-large
Fiesta At-large vs At-large
Peach At-large vs At-large

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - bullet - 12-03-2017 04:36 PM

(12-03-2017 03:15 PM)orangefan Wrote:  The Big 12 and Pac 12 have already been making noises about wanting 8. https://www.hustlebelt.com/2017/10/28/16565346/pac-12-and-big-12-advocate-for-8-team-playoff

If the exclusion of Ohio State does motivate the Big Ten to join that pair, that may provide enough momentum to make it happen,

I think we determined that was a joke by McMurphy.

But the Big 12 was in favor of 8. There was a lot of support for it in the SEC and ACC as well. Big 10 and Pac 12 were strongly against.

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - Stugray2 - 12-03-2017 04:40 PM

(12-03-2017 03:15 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  
(12-03-2017 02:42 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  No it'd be simpler than that

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State
5. Southern California
Seeds #6-8 at-large

7. Auburn
8. Wisconsin

just left off would be
9. Miami
10. Texas Christian

If they go to an 8 team playoff, I can guarantee there will be a cap of 2 teams per conference. So either Alabama or Auburn would be out and likely UCF, TCU or Miami would get in.

They wont let a G5 in. I don't think they'd cap at two, but if they did, then Miami or Wisky would be the next ones up.

RE: Will Ohio State out trigger a move to 8-team playoff? - Wedge - 12-03-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:Ralph D. Russo
@ralphDrussoAP

Heard Jim Delany on ESPN
Just spoke to Larry Scott.
Takeaway: There is no desire by the commissioners to change the playoff because of the results of the this season's selections.

1:54 PM - 3 Dec 2017