CSNbbs
Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: Old Dominion (/forum-688.html)
+----- Thread: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches (/thread-835341.html)

Pages: 1 2

Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - blueandsilver - 11-29-2017 08:22 AM

OK .... it is too easy to 'go negative', so let's give some positive words of encouragement from the Monarchs faithful as the team heads into the off season. I'll start.

- take all the disappointment and use it to focus the off season on getting stronger, bigger, faster, and 'football' smarter.
- set extraordinary goals and work your butts off to surpass them.
- stick together and support one another in reaching team goals
- study the game of football (coaches and players) to better understand what fundamentals were in error that other teams didn't make -- and correct them
- become so well conditioned that 60 minutes will seem like a light workout, even if you play a bulk of the time.
- keep one another challenged, focused, and accountable to the team

Above all, come out swinging in the off season -- that is where the wins are gained. GO MONARCHS. You are our team, we are grateful that we have football, and we are rooting for you!

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - The Doctor Is In - 11-29-2017 09:24 AM

Synchronize all alarm clocks and ensure that you all attend your classes as scheduled.07-coffee3

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - odu83alumni - 11-29-2017 09:33 AM

Tardiness has always driven me crazy and I'm glad Bobby Wilder doesn't like it either.

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - monarx - 11-29-2017 09:39 AM

While tough, I'm excited about the schedule for next season. If Williams continues to improve, our receivers get used to catching his throws, and our defense strengthens and doesn't play so far off opponents receivers, I think we can be pretty good next season and believe a winning record and a bowl game are certainly reasonable expectations. Play hard, practice hard and good things will come your way. Your effort and resiliancy this season was commendable and appreciated.

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - FearTheLion - 11-29-2017 09:45 AM

Hoping Stevie stays in Norfolk this summer and gets plenty of Ws.

Whitcomb, Weight room, and Workouts with Taylor Heinicke.

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - Big Bluezilla - 11-29-2017 09:59 AM

Work harder than any of your foes. It sucks running up the mountain, but the view from the top of pretty damn sweet!

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - ODU2017 - 11-29-2017 12:43 PM

No more bar fights, no more motorcycle accidents. Please no more felonies in general

Sent from my SM-G930F using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - Gilesfan - 11-29-2017 02:37 PM

It is really hard to tell who will step up in the offseason, but I do like the framework of the team. We lose far less this year than we did last year. I would be much more concerned if Williams was a redshirt freshman with no time under center. Even so, he will be an 18 year old QB, which is awfully young so that is a concern. Played really well down the stretch though despite very few "open" wide outs. The decision not to redshirt is an interesting discussion (I'm for pulling redshirt), but make no mistake, he will be a better QB next year for getting game action this year.

-RB will be interesting. Nice little battle there. Curious to see if Perkins or Sinclair can take over the starting job from Cox.

-WR was not good this year, but Duhart would make an excellent addition to the WR core. Look for Colbert to come on as well. Todd, Patterson, and Ellison will be interesting to keep an eye out for; hopefully one of these guys step up. I envision Herslow playing a Wes Welker type slot role and he was seeing some action until he got injured.

OL should be improved with all but Garcia back. Much more experienced group next year and it will be interested to see if Muller, Miller, or Rivers step up next year. We could be rock solid for the next few years here as we should have Weaver and Storment for the next 3 years and Hendricks and Clarke for another year.

Rotimi is a big loss, but should have enough depth at DE with Ximenes, Ward, Appouph, and possibly Haynes/White/Valle. Everyone back at DT.

Everyone back at LB.

Addison is a big loss. Bernhard and Thompson are not easy to replace, but I think we have some safety depth if they can get healthy. If Tracy White lives up to his billing, we could have a pretty strong group of corners.

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - ODUCoach - 11-29-2017 03:02 PM

Here's a question: If you get a call from an interested 5th year transfer QB (let's say Wilson Speight is interested), do you bring him in and try to redshirt Williams next year? Or, are you afraid of the message that sends and decline to bring him in?

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - Gilesfan - 11-29-2017 03:36 PM

(11-29-2017 03:02 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Here's a question: If you get a call from an interested 5th year transfer QB (let's say Wilson Speight is interested), do you bring him in and try to redshirt Williams next year? Or, are you afraid of the message that sends and decline to bring him in?

I would seriously doubt it. They seem to be high enough on Williams to not bring in a transfer. Not sure I remember any times where a starting QB was redshirted a year after starting (and was healthy).

Even though no chance, I would consider if it was a really good 5th year guy (not Speight).

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - AimHigher - 11-29-2017 04:27 PM

Things to do outside of football conditioning to help better your future!

Alarm clock.
No motorcycles.
Avoid bars.
Limit alcohol consumption.
Don't use your friends credit card.
No crappy tattoos, that tat is going to look like crap after your football career.
Know where your own bed is and if you're sleeping with a female PROTECT yourself!
Put a security lock on your phone if you're playing the field!

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - FearTheLion - 11-29-2017 07:23 PM

(11-29-2017 03:02 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  Here's a question: If you get a call from an interested 5th year transfer QB (let's say Wilson Speight is interested), do you bring him in and try to redshirt Williams next year? Or, are you afraid of the message that sends and decline to bring him in?

I wouldn't hesitate at all if I thought the transfer could help us. To me, no starting job should be protected from recruiting. And hopefully Stevie would be motivated to work even harder on his skills as the result.

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - Monarchblue - 12-04-2017 11:14 AM

That is interesting. I think you consider it, and talk it over with Williams. If Williams things the RS year is valuable and wants to do it, I say you go for it.

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - jasdf - 12-04-2017 03:54 PM

Put the best players that you possibly can on to the field.

"This is whats great about sports. This is what the greatest thing about sports is. You play to win the game. Hello? You play to win the game. You dont play it to just play it."

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - CameramanJ - 12-04-2017 04:41 PM

Meditation. Visualize visualize visualize. The physical part of the training will come, now is the time to conquer the mental part. Focus on efficiency and execution.

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - Mr.BigBlue - 12-05-2017 08:17 AM

Here is some encouragement....get it done with a top 3 rated 2018 recruiting class and a top 3 CUSA 2018 finish or you are done ! It is that simple.

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - Cyniclone - 12-05-2017 11:26 AM

Wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - Grommet - 12-05-2017 12:53 PM

(12-05-2017 08:17 AM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  Here is some encouragement....get it done with a top 3 rated 2018 recruiting class and a top 3 CUSA 2018 finish or you are done ! It is that simple.

I'm willing to wager it's not.

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - Grommet - 12-05-2017 12:53 PM

(12-05-2017 11:26 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.

Props for this!

RE: Off-Season Encouragement and Focus for Monarchs Football Team and Coaches - AimHigher - 12-05-2017 03:14 PM

(12-05-2017 12:53 PM)Grommet Wrote:  
(12-05-2017 11:26 AM)Cyniclone Wrote:  Wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it.

Props for this!

Yea that song needs to be updated... Lock your phone 07-coffee3