CSNbbs
Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities (/thread-835077.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - bullet - 11-27-2017 10:18 AM

"The revival of America’s core cities is one of the most celebrated narratives of our time—yet, perhaps paradoxically, urban progress has also created a growing problem of increasing inequality and middle-class flight. Once exemplars of middle-class advancement, most major American cities are now typified by a “barbell economy,” divided between well-paid professionals and lower-paid service workers. As early as the 1970s, notes the Brookings Institution, middle-income neighborhoods began to shrink more dramatically in inner cities than anywhere else—and the phenomenon has continued. Today, in virtually all U.S. metro areas, the inner cores are more unequal than their corresponding suburbs, observes geographer Daniel Herz....

The new urban demographic—a combination of poor residents, super-affluent households (many childless), and a younger generation with limited upward mobility—has created conditions peculiarly ideal for left-wing agitation. This marks a sharp contrast with the early 1990s, when urban voters embraced pragmatic mayors like Rudy Giuliani in New York, Bob Lanier in Houston, and Richard Riordan in Los Angeles. Even San Francisco in 1991 elected Frank Jordan, a middle-of-the-road Democrat and former police chief. In some cases, these pioneering mayors were followed by less groundbreaking but highly effective leaders like New York’s Michael Bloomberg or Houston’s Bill White. The resulting golden era of urban governance helped foster safer streets and more buoyant economies, attracting immigrants and a growing number of young and talented people to the urban core. Ironically, though, the urban revival fostered demographic changes that would make it much harder for these reform mayors to win today...."

https://www.city-journal.org/html/playgrounds-elites-15494.html

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - Dasville - 11-27-2017 10:28 AM

Who wants to be around crime? Regarding property values, got to get out while the getting is good.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - Lord Stanley - 11-27-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities

I didn't leave the city. The city forced me out. I took me and my upper middle class values, income, high performing kids in school and local volunteering out of Minneapolis because of left wing politics.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - solohawks - 11-27-2017 11:42 AM

That's what happens under these types of policies, the haves provider the subsidization of the have nots, who power the service economy for the haves.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - Bull_Is_Back - 11-27-2017 11:56 AM

(11-27-2017 10:40 AM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  
Quote:Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities

I didn't leave the city. The city forced me out. I took me and my upper middle class values, income, high performing kids in school and local volunteering out of Minneapolis because of left wing politics.

And it's only going to accelerate. I feel awful because there are some beautiful neighborhoods in the twin cities but the downward spiral of the schools, crime, and government incompetence makes it a near 0% chance Ill ever move into either of them.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - olliebaba - 11-27-2017 11:56 AM

...and with the outflow of upper middle class residents someone has to foot the tax bill so what happens, taxes have to go up to compensate for the flying dollars moving out. That leaves the few middle classes remaining to a bigger tax bill. A cycle of despair. Thanks Demons.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - Bull_Is_Back - 11-27-2017 12:03 PM

(11-27-2017 11:56 AM)olliebaba Wrote:  ...and with the outflow of upper middle class residents someone has to foot the tax bill so what happens, taxes have to go up to compensate for the flying dollars moving out. That leaves the few middle classes remaining to a bigger tax bill. A cycle of despair. Thanks Demons.

And the businesses who are also being hit with fees and regulations in addition to taking on more of the tax base.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - Tom in Lazybrook - 11-27-2017 01:28 PM

High property prices combined with stagnant wages drove the middle class out of cities. The high property prices resulted from the fact that our most successful businesses need to retain talent. And that talent base is much more liberal than the population at large.

Its not about liberal policies...its about the ability to afford a home. Even in Houston, wide parts of the central core are becoming completely unaffordable for families.

If anything, the liberal cities have become too successful in attracting high priced talent. Because the conservative areas aren't really competing for those good jobs.

If you have a choice....why live in Stockton when you can live in San Fran? Why live in Montgomery when you can live in Houston?

You don't see a lot of leading companies and industries locating in conservative areas. There's a reason for that. Because if you don't welcome immigrants, LGBT persons, single people, and non-Christians as equals in your communities (and provide them with amenities that they want), the businesses that need their talent won't go there. Now you could argue that the middle class people that are pushed out would simply form their own businesses that leverage their talent, but that hasn't largely happened. Because the middle class doesn't have access to capital like the upper class does. And that is the result of Conservative policies, which continue to concentrate wealth in the 'city class' hands. And Trump's new tax plan...is more of the same. Basically, you want to build a large or leading business...you'll probably be doing it in a city.

And there's another dynamic that might be at work here too. Corporate America tends towards those that have decided to prioritize their careers over family. Part of the middle class move is really just people who have decided to emphasize family over career. They tend to be less successful in the corporate world precisely because they put their families first. The Dems at least try to put some regulation in place to handle that (such as Family leave policies, equal pay for women, etc.) to try to sort that out.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - Fitbud - 11-27-2017 01:40 PM

Leaving the city because of liberal politics is the same as burying your head in the sand.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - EagleX - 11-27-2017 01:43 PM

(11-27-2017 01:40 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Leaving the city because of liberal politics is the same as burying your head in the sand.

leaving the city because if you don't, you're likely to wind up getting shot is simply common sense.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - Fitbud - 11-27-2017 01:45 PM

(11-27-2017 01:43 PM)EagleX Wrote:  
(11-27-2017 01:40 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  Leaving the city because of liberal politics is the same as burying your head in the sand.

leaving the city because if you don't, you're likely to wind up getting shot is simply common sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if more people in rural areas own guns than in the big city.

I've seen the movie Deliverance. I assure you, those kind of encounters scare me a whole lot more than growing up in the ghetto.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - EagleX - 11-27-2017 01:53 PM

(11-27-2017 01:45 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

I wouldn't be surprised if more people in rural areas own guns than in the big city.

I've seen the movie Deliverance. I assure you, those kind of encounters scare me a whole lot more than growing up in the ghetto.

methinks you watch too much TV and not enough real life.

let's use science: pick any rural county in america. compare the gun violence rate to any part of inner city detroit or chicago. scratch head in amazement.

I'll also add that the kill ratio in rural america is much much higher than the inner city. rural peeps know how to shoot. you always read headlines out of chicago that read something like, "85 people shot, 3 killed in weekend violence". and that's not even including the complete misses.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - Fitbud - 11-27-2017 01:55 PM

(11-27-2017 01:53 PM)EagleX Wrote:  

let's use science: pick any rural county in america. compare the gun violence rate to any part of inner city detroit or chicago. scratch head in amazement.

I'll also add that the kill ratio in rural america is much much higher than the inner city. rural peeps know how to shoot. you always read headlines out of chicago that read something like, "85 people shot, 3 killed in weekend violence". and that's not even including the complete misses.

Well I've never been east of Houston but there are plenty of places in East and Central Texas where I could tell my kind wasn't tolerated.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - Kaplony - 11-27-2017 01:58 PM

(11-27-2017 01:55 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

Well I've never been east of Houston but there are plenty of places in East and Central Texas where I could tell my kind wasn't tolerated.

Most places don't like trolls.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - EagleX - 11-27-2017 01:59 PM

did they shoot you?

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - SuperFlyBCat - 11-27-2017 02:00 PM

Moreover Whites, and others like Asians, young and old are moving into the city hoods and pushing black middle and lower classes out to the older suburban ring. Gentrification all of the USA on large scale has been happening for a long time. I live in a city hood that was 10-12 years ago about 90% black. Now it is about 20% black.

In California the % of the black population has been reduced by almost 50%. Used to be about 12-13% and now it is closer to 6% of the population.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - EagleX - 11-27-2017 02:03 PM

(11-27-2017 02:00 PM)SuperFlyBCat Wrote:  Moreover Whites, and others like Asians, young and old are moving into the city hoods and pushing black middle and lower classes out to the older suburban ring. Gentrification all of the USA on large scale has been happening for a long time. I live in a city hood that was 10-12 years ago about 90% black. Now it is about 20% black.

In California the % of the black population has been reduced by almost 50%. Used to be about 12-13% and now it is closer to 6% of the population.

I'm gonna need a name for this one.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - Fitbud - 11-27-2017 02:05 PM

(11-27-2017 01:59 PM)EagleX Wrote:  
(11-27-2017 01:43 PM)EagleX Wrote:  leaving the city because if you don't, you're likely to wind up getting shot is simply common sense.

did they shoot you?

Nope but if I stuck around long enough, they might have asked me to squeal like a pig.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - EagleX - 11-27-2017 02:09 PM

(11-27-2017 02:05 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(11-27-2017 01:45 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised if more people in rural areas own guns than in the big city.

did they shoot you?

Nope but if I stuck around long enough, they might have asked me to squeal like a pig.

if they didn't shoot you, then I'm afraid you're supporting my argument.

whatever sex noises you like to make are beside the point.

RE: Left wing politics drive middle class out of cities - Kaplony - 11-27-2017 02:10 PM

(11-27-2017 02:05 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  
(11-27-2017 01:45 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised if more people in rural areas own guns than in the big city.

did they shoot you?

Bigot.