CSNbbs
Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: AAC Conference Talk (/forum-409.html)
+---- Thread: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" (/thread-833898.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - FonzKnight - 11-17-2017 03:32 PM

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/martin-chronicles/2017/11/17/the-biggest-game-in-usf-history-period/

It might be near the top 10 for UCF too-- it's close. Really every game at this point in the season has an argument to be up there.

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - TripleA - 11-17-2017 03:35 PM

(11-17-2017 03:32 PM)FonzKnight Wrote:  http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/martin-chronicles/2017/11/17/the-biggest-game-in-usf-history-period/

It might be near the top 10 for UCF too-- it's close. Really every game at this point in the season has an argument to be up there.

The game at Temple isn't anything compared to the USF game, b/c you could lose it and still win the East, and have every single reasonable goal (CFP not reasonable) still ahead of you.

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - usffan - 11-17-2017 03:45 PM

(11-17-2017 03:32 PM)FonzKnight Wrote:  http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/martin-chronicles/2017/11/17/the-biggest-game-in-usf-history-period/

FWIW, Martin Fennelly:USF::Mike Bianchi:UCF

Fennelly writes to maximize attention, so he intentionally publishes 'hot takes' to get locals riled up. Sometimes (recently, rarely), they're over the top positive. More often, they're over the top negative. Always, they're controversial.

I think we all can agree that this is a big game for USF, since it's for our first chance to appear in a conference championship game. But we've played for conference championships before. We've beaten top 5 ranked teams in our sold out stadium before. Any objective person would agree that next weekend's game is not "the biggest game in USF history period." Honestly, none will ever compare with the first one ever. But that's not going to get Fennelly clicks or sell newspapers, so he's not going to write that.

USFFan

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - UHDC - 11-17-2017 03:56 PM

I could see it being #1 for USF and #2 for UCF behind the Fiesta Bowl game a few years back.

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - jlcolvin - 11-17-2017 04:02 PM

Yeah going undefeated in the regular season wouldn't be that big of a deal...assuming you take care of Temple

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - shere khan - 11-17-2017 04:46 PM

Lol. Biggest game in USF/UCF history is for a chance to play Memphis.

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - MU88 - 11-17-2017 05:02 PM

(11-17-2017 04:02 PM)jlcolvin Wrote:  

Yeah going undefeated in the regular season wouldn't be that big of a deal...assuming you take care of Temple

Huh? Not even close to the biggest game for USF. The West Virginia game in 2007 was way bigger. Statement game for the program. The game they lost to Rutgers when ranked 2nd in the nation was bigger. They were in the hunt for a national title at that point.

Right now, USF is playing for a chance to play in a conference championship game for the right to play in a second tier BCS game against a P5 school that will probably be disappointed that they are there. While it would be nice for the school to get to a BCS bowl, that is still a long way off at this point in time, even if they beat UCF.

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - NothingButKnight - 11-17-2017 05:26 PM

(11-17-2017 04:46 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Lol. Biggest game in USF/UCF history is for a chance to play Memphis.

Think of Memphis as the boring afterparty where 3 people show up.

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - St. H. Gink - 11-17-2017 05:31 PM

(11-17-2017 04:46 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Lol. Biggest game in USF/UCF history is for a chance to play Memphis.

Yeah, seriously. The west really stunk it up this year.

07-coffee3

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - quo vadis - 11-17-2017 05:51 PM

(11-17-2017 03:45 PM)usffan Wrote:  

FWIW, Martin Fennelly:USF::Mike Bianchi:UCF

Fennelly writes to maximize attention, so he intentionally publishes 'hot takes' to get locals riled up. Sometimes (recently, rarely), they're over the top positive. More often, they're over the top negative. Always, they're controversial.

I think we all can agree that this is a big game for USF, since it's for our first chance to appear in a conference championship game. But we've played for conference championships before. We've beaten top 5 ranked teams in our sold out stadium before. Any objective person would agree that next weekend's game is not "the biggest game in USF history period." Honestly, none will ever compare with the first one ever. But that's not going to get Fennelly clicks or sell newspapers, so he's not going to write that.

USFFan

Spot on.04-cheers

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - NestaKnight1 - 11-17-2017 05:59 PM

We’ve already done that in 2013.........how about usf?

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - TripleA - 11-17-2017 06:30 PM

I wonder if any UCF fans realize they have another game first?

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - shere khan - 11-17-2017 06:50 PM

(11-17-2017 06:30 PM)TripleA Wrote:  I wonder if any U_F fans realize they both have another game first?
I'd like to see the winner of the F_U schools play winner of the U_F game.

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - RobUCF - 11-17-2017 07:00 PM

(11-17-2017 06:30 PM)TripleA Wrote:  I wonder if any U_F fans realize they both have another game first?

I’m pretty sure _S_, to fill in the blanks fans are confident they don’t!!

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - RobUCF - 11-17-2017 07:06 PM

(11-17-2017 06:50 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
I'd like to see the winner of the F_U schools play winner of the U_F game.

Since the _C_ team beat one of the F_U contenders 61-17 already this season, I’m not sure it would be all that compelling.

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - UHDC - 11-17-2017 07:36 PM

(11-17-2017 05:59 PM)NestaKnight1 Wrote:  

We’ve already done that in 2013.........how about usf?

Didn't you lose to South Carolina that year? 07-coffee3

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - zfred12 - 11-17-2017 08:32 PM

Are there even any other rivalries in this conference? Well just take care of that for the conference too. Memphis doesn’t want any part of us again.

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - jaredf29 - 11-17-2017 10:32 PM

My favorite part of the article: “Pretend, for a moment, that UCF is ahead of USF as a football program. Pretend that UCF has better facilities, that on-campus stadium, an indoor practice building, and that is has broken ground on a football-only building. Pretend that UCF has already been to a major bowl game, the 2014 Fiesta Bowl, where it stunned No. 5 Baylor.

Oh, wait. All that stuff is true.”

That’s why if you’re still saying UCif you’re proving how stupid you are.

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - TripleA - 11-17-2017 11:47 PM

(11-17-2017 07:00 PM)RobUCF Wrote:  

I’m pretty sure _S_, to fill in the blanks fans are confident they don’t!!

Yeah, that USF-Tulsa game last night was so compelling I already forgot it, lol. j/k. Edited my post.

RE: Tampa Bay Times calls UCF game "The biggest game in USF football history" - TripleA - 11-17-2017 11:49 PM

(11-17-2017 08:32 PM)zfred12 Wrote:  Are there even any other rivalries in this conference? Well just take care of that for the conference too. Memphis doesn’t want any part of us again.

That's not it. In fact, some Memphis fans want UCF for revenge. But many think USF would be easier partly b/c we would likely play it in Memphis, and partly b/c UCF looks stronger. Duh.