CSNbbs
USC Upstate leaving ASUN - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SoConbbs (/forum-266.html)
+---- Forum: SoCon Team Talk (/forum-944.html)
+----- Forum: ETSU (/forum-335.html)
+----- Thread: USC Upstate leaving ASUN (/thread-833709.html)

USC Upstate leaving ASUN - ETSUfan1 - 11-16-2017 02:38 AM

Reports are that they will join the Big South. Poor ASUN.

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - brock20 - 11-16-2017 08:08 AM

I thought the ASUN and Big South came to some kind of agreement?

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/big-south-asun-form-fcs-member-partnership-091316

The ASUN really just needs to merge into the Big South and be done with it. Still hate ETSU was in that league for 10 years.

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - Stateman - 11-16-2017 11:47 AM

And Hampton University with also join the Big South

USC Upstate leaving ASUN - ETSUfan1 - 11-16-2017 11:56 AM

The ASun and a big south agreement was in the hopes that any teams moving up that had football would join the ASun, then play football in the Big south. Upstate just didn’t want anything to do with the travel of the ASUN anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - Brandon_Keys - 05-26-2018 07:18 AM

Liberty is joining the ASUN. Interesting but apparently only choice. I wonder if the SoCon and CAA were ever considered? If Liberty strikes it big in football, they wont be there long.

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/sports/college/fgcu/2018/05/17/fgcus-asun-may-adding-liberty-giving-conference-nine-members/615492002/

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - Buc66 - 05-26-2018 02:06 PM

(11-16-2017 02:38 AM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  Reports are that they will join the Big South. Poor ASUN.

In my humble opinion — these sort of moves only undergird the good decision it was for ETSU to return to the SoCon where all of its teams can play within excellent footprint travel destinations. The SoCon needs to close ranks even more and hang tough until a time comes for another shake up. Hopefully, a compact geographic conference of regional universities can emerge one day that includes ETSU. Until then, the Sun Belt is really not attractive now given the added expense and mostly unrecognizable opponents in distant places.

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - HerdZoned - 05-27-2018 08:51 PM

(05-26-2018 07:18 AM)Brandon_Keys Wrote:  Liberty is joining the ASUN. Interesting but apparently only choice. I wonder if the SoCon and CAA were ever considered? If Liberty strikes it big in football, they wont be there long.

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/sports/college/fgcu/2018/05/17/fgcus-asun-may-adding-liberty-giving-conference-nine-members/615492002/

No IA conference is going to take on the Liberty Baggage. They tried to buy their way in to the Sun Belt by offering them 22 million dollars when that failed they offered CUSA 25 million. Both conferences denied them.

Liberty is nothing more than a right wing propaganda machine and degree mill. Any school that offers the course of "Creationism" as a science program isn't legit. That and they still have the stench of Jerry Falwell. Baby Falwell has kept his mouth shut for the most part but he opens it every now and then and puts his foot in.

No one wants to be associated with this:

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - Buc66 - 05-28-2018 07:54 AM

(05-27-2018 08:51 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(05-26-2018 07:18 AM)Brandon_Keys Wrote:  Liberty is joining the ASUN. Interesting but apparently only choice. I wonder if the SoCon and CAA were ever considered? If Liberty strikes it big in football, they wont be there long.

No IA conference is going to take on the Liberty Baggage. They tried to buy their way in to the Sun Belt by offering them 22 million dollars when that failed they offered CUSA 25 million. Both conferences denied them.

Liberty is nothing more than a right wing propaganda machine and degree mill. Any school that offers the course of "Creationism" as a science program isn't legit. That and they still have the stench of Jerry Falwell. Baby Falwell has kept his mouth shut for the most part but he opens it every now and then and puts his foot in.

No one wants to be associated with this:

Not defending Liberty or anyone else — but do you have any commentary on ALL the left wing propaganda (and indoctrination) machines out there posing as institutions of higher (elite) learning?

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - HerdZoned - 05-29-2018 11:42 PM

(05-28-2018 07:54 AM)Buc66 Wrote:  Not defending Liberty or anyone else — but do you have any commentary on ALL the left wing propaganda (and indoctrination) machines out there posing as institutions of higher (elite) learning?

Did I step on your Trump toes to hard. Do you have bone spurs also. And yes Liberty tried to get in the SoCon many times. The 1st time was in 1996 when Marshall left. The SoCon rejected them in favor of a school at the time that had 912 students in Wofford. They also tried in 2001 and 2003 when VMI went to the Big South and well ETSU dropped football. An ESPN executive and Marshall grad told Liberty 20 years ago what they would have to do to be accepted in any other conference and they have yet to do anything he told them. They tried other times too up until 2015 but the 1st 3 are the ones I have knowledge of and to. Even the Privates of the SoCon wanted nothing to do with Liberty.

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - frankenheimer - 05-30-2018 05:07 AM

Two issues about the smaller conferences seem to be football and travel; both greatly impact the finances of an athletic program. The ASun seems to be a good place to stay until you're ready to take on football. When the school decides to add football, you need a landing place with less travel.

I'm glad the ASun was around for ETSU and hope it stays around, but in its current form, will have high turnover as its members will find a more permanent conference home.

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - Buc66 - 05-30-2018 02:09 PM

(05-29-2018 11:42 PM)HerdZoned Wrote:  
(05-28-2018 07:54 AM)Buc66 Wrote:  Not defending Liberty or anyone else — but do you have any commentary on ALL the left wing propaganda (and indoctrination) machines out there posing as institutions of higher (elite) learning?

Did I step on your Trump toes to hard. Do you have bone spurs also. And yes Liberty tried to get in the SoCon many times. The 1st time was in 1996 when Marshall left. The SoCon rejected them in favor of a school at the time that had 912 students in Wofford. They also tried in 2001 and 2003 when VMI went to the Big South and well ETSU dropped football. An ESPN executive and Marshall grad told Liberty 20 years ago what they would have to do to be accepted in any other conference and they have yet to do anything he told them. They tried other times too up until 2015 but the 1st 3 are the ones I have knowledge of and to. Even the Privates of the SoCon wanted nothing to do with Liberty.

You need to get in touch with those who have signed up to play Liberty in football and bring them up to speed before they humiliate themselves.

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?PID=38108&teamID=9

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - Flippmb - 05-30-2018 03:50 PM

Did I step on your Trump toes to hard. Do you have bone spurs also.

Maybe schools should get back to teaching proper spelling and punctuation.

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - Buccaneerlover - 06-03-2018 11:17 PM

The best HS school Biology teacher I ever had I'm about 99% sure was left leaning and if his loafers were any lighter they'd have flown. He fought to teach creationism as a scientific theory along with evolution, Big Bang, etc..
Liberty isn't a degree mill, it's actually pretty difficult to get through there. The reality is nobody wants to play them with the amount of money they spend on facilities and athletics, they're essentially a VERY SMALL VERSIOn of Notre Dame and BYU.

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - Buc66 - 06-04-2018 02:51 PM

(06-03-2018 11:17 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  The best HS school Biology teacher I ever had I'm about 99% sure was left leaning and if his loafers were any lighter they'd have flown. He fought to teach creationism as a scientific theory along with evolution, Big Bang, etc..
Liberty isn't a degree mill, it's actually pretty difficult to get through there. The reality is nobody wants to play them with the amount of money they spend on facilities and athletics, they're essentially a VERY SMALL VERSIOn of Notre Dame and BYU.

They seem to be lining up some “normal” looking teams:

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - BucDoctor - 06-04-2018 03:58 PM

(06-04-2018 02:51 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  
(06-03-2018 11:17 PM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  The best HS school Biology teacher I ever had I'm about 99% sure was left leaning and if his loafers were any lighter they'd have flown. He fought to teach creationism as a scientific theory along with evolution, Big Bang, etc..

No one wants Liberty in their conference. They purport to have 110,000 students and a very small increase in a student fee dedicated to athletics puts them at a financial competitive advantage that no one wants to face (their current athletic budget is $45 million) A $250 per semester increase in athletics fee puts Liberty ahead of VaTech and UVa in athletic funding. They aren't bashful about raising tuition and fees and they raised them 28% (over $6,000 per year increase) this year alone. As a comparison, the ETSU tuition increase was 2.9%.

They are not a degree mill, but a number of their programs are not accredited. For example, their business program is not AACSB accredited (the gold standard for business accreditation).

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - Buc66 - 06-04-2018 06:05 PM

(06-04-2018 03:58 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  
(06-04-2018 02:51 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  

No one wants Liberty in their conference. They purport to have 110,000 students and a very small increase in a student fee dedicated to athletics puts them at a financial competitive advantage that no one wants to face (their current athletic budget is $45 million) A $250 per semester increase in athletics fee puts Liberty ahead of VaTech and UVa in athletic funding. They aren't bashful about raising tuition and fees and they raised them 28% (over $6,000 per year increase) this year alone. As a comparison, the ETSU tuition increase was 2.9%.

They are not a degree mill, but a number of their programs are not accredited. For example, their business program is not AACSB accredited (the gold standard for business accreditation).

The best friends of Liberty’s rise could very well be their enemies, the hyper left. They probably laugh at the constant left attacks as they rake in the money. Maybe no conference for football like BYU, but with these football schedules they’re lining up — is lack of a football conference a problem?

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - BucDoctor - 07-04-2018 08:05 PM

(05-30-2018 02:09 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  

You need to get in touch with those who have signed up to play Liberty in football and bring them up to speed before they humiliate themselves.

EVERYONE probably wants to play Liberty. College Football News ranks them as the second worst team in BCS football. The dubious honor of worst team goes to Coastal Carolina.

CFN BCS Preseason Rankings

RE: USC Upstate leaving ASUN - Buc66 - 07-05-2018 09:49 AM

(07-04-2018 08:05 PM)BucDoctor Wrote:  
(05-30-2018 02:09 PM)Buc66 Wrote:  

EVERYONE probably wants to play Liberty. College Football News ranks them as the second worst team in BCS football. The dubious honor of worst team goes to Coastal Carolina.

CFN BCS Preseason Rankings

Interesting. Facts are stubborn things — the bottom dwellers will always be bottom dwellers. The Power Five will always virtually dominate. Are the bottom dwellers actually making more money by spending more money on their football programs? If so, then being there makes some sense. Otherwise, it doesn’t.